Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Win XP Pro SP2 - Windows Explorer Crashes

by hermanotomas / October 13, 2005 11:42 PM PDT

Strange behavior. Windows Explorer has started to crash every time I open a folder containing a 'mpg' or 'avi' file. It apologizes every time, but crashes.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win XP Pro SP2 - Windows Explorer Crashes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win XP Pro SP2 - Windows Explorer Crashes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows Explorer freezes in XP sp2 avi mpg connection ?
by Aldous / November 1, 2005 5:26 AM PST

Ya, I seem to have the same problem and it has been happening for a long time. I don't think it's a hardware problem because this hasn't always happened and I didn't install any new hardware around the time it began. I use Shareaza and thought that perhaps there might be a connection there or with bad files, but I've begun to think that it has more to do with Windows since it has begun to happen to any folder that has avi or mpg files in it. I use VLC media player and also have realplayer loaded as well of course as windows media player. I only have to open windows explorer and access a folder that contains avi's or mpg's and often the affected folder will freeze up before I have the chance to even try to delete the file to eliminate the problem. Any ideas? I've done a search on the forum but haven't found a similar thread yet. PLease post a link if I've missed it. Thanks.

Collapse -
This may help freeze win xp avi problem
by Aldous / November 1, 2005 6:22 AM PST
Collapse -
Explorer Crashes
by gu774 / September 13, 2008 5:20 PM PDT

I have been struggling with this issue myself here recently and I have found a way to remedy the issue but maybe not "fix". It was driving me crazy anyway so it is something I can definitely deal with. I checked the Application Logs in Event Viewer and looked up the event and read to search the registry for that key and delete it. I tried and it did not work. I then read about the "Fix" and tried applying that and still nogo. Then I finally ran across an article that cleared it up for me when it said it is freezing because it is trying to retrieve summary information about the file to display details and the video preview. Right then I knew to just disable the common task window so it doesn't try to gather this info. This has fixed it for me. If I need details I can right click. However, I did notice that sometimes, not always, it will not display it even if you right click it. But who cares, this is finally relieved me of the annoyance.
If you do not know how to do this just right click My Computer and go to Properties and click the Advanced Tab. Under Performance choose Settings and their is an option to Use Common Tasks in Folder. Just remove the check and apply. Hope this helps. peace.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.