PC Hardware forum

Question

win xp internal tv tuner with ir blaster

by padyboy / October 31, 2012 12:46 PM PDT

My CNET search under this topic yields no information.
In my city (Halifax, Canada), there is only one cable tv/Internet provider; thus they can dictate quality of service, including use of their own set-top box.
I am seeking a way to combat this monoply, so far to no avail.
I have been recording TV with various VCRs for decades.

Is it taboo to have the ability to record to my computer? I have no intention of selling recorded material for profit. I wish to archive programs for personal use.

If we had some free-market style competition in this city, I doubt I would be having this problem.

I am seeking a way to archive my favorite programming for personal use.

Any comments on this subject would be appreciated.
Are win 7 hardware products backwards compatible to Win XP? I believe os info is all that is required here. My processor speed of 3 GHz is plenty. I have PCIe slots on my system board,

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: win xp internal tv tuner with ir blaster
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: win xp internal tv tuner with ir blaster
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I'd have to know a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2012 1:33 AM PDT

As you know, HD content is heavily protected and as you can imagine, HD recording is a minefield of laws and protection.

You didn't tell if the content was from the newer HDMI HD cable box.

Recording? Yes! HD Recording seems to be "see your lawyer" or do it and don't involve me.

XP Compatibility? Varies with product. Check the product's maker's web site.

In parting I didn't find that the CPU speed mattered on this. That is, to transcode HD video in real time took more than a single 3 GHz CPU. And folk want that since they are dabbling in DLNA and more.
Bob

Collapse -
no HD interest
by padyboy / November 3, 2012 11:29 AM PDT

My box is a Motorola DCX 3400M; I believe this is an HDMI capable unit since they are trying to sell hundreds of expensive digital channels. The tuner card I ordered is compatible with both XP and 7 according to the manufacturer. Driver disk is included.
I do not possess a high definition tv and thus this subject is of no interest to me. In addition, HD programming is uncommon in this area. My friends with HD TVs say the difference in returning to normal resolution programming is very significant.
I have found out that Big Government CRTC (in Canada of course) has ordered cable supplier (monoply in my city) to disable most of the functions of this set top box (including IR connection) to thwart my attempt to record TV (which I am paying for) for personal archiving. I thus require a device which can be attached to the front of this box to enable programmed channel changes.
I am thus seeking a method of using an IR device to enable me to program channel changes on this mandatory set top box for personal recording. I cannot get this service from anyone else in my city.
The Hauppauge website was ambiguous as to which kind of IR Blaster was included with the model I have ordered. Newegg was of no use in this regard, as they are only the retailer.
I am prepared to order a separate IR Blaster if required in my attempt to thwart BIG GOVERNMENT in Canada.
Any further input would be appreciated. Perhaps my trek is futile.
I am not in this for profit. Simply attempting to expand my personal rights as a Canadian citizen.

Collapse -
Sounds very expensive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2012 11:54 AM PDT
In reply to: no HD interest

Since the output is HDMI you are instantly forced to look at Black Magic's HDMI recording stuff. I did read you were not interesting in HD but HDMI mandates HDCP which I will not be able to discuss how to get around here. Why? Our host is CBS Networks so please don't ask.

The IR Blaster is another part of this system and why would anyone pick a fight with any government?

Bob

Collapse -
by padyboy / November 6, 2012 8:39 AM PST
In reply to: Sounds very expensive.

I understand the obstacles to my search.
As always, thanx again.
I shall continue my efforts.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.