Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

win xp hangs on startup

by Shepbob / January 27, 2013 3:33 AM PST

Dell Latitude d610 Laptop
Win xp service pack 3

When I start the computer it hangs before the desktop icons come up and no task bar is displayed hard drive activity light does not show any activity. Indications are corrupt explorer.exe. tried system restore, also start from last known good start. can get to desk top icons through safe mode
tried numerous remedies show on google search but none have worked. any expert advice.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: win xp hangs on startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: win xp hangs on startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: win xp hangs on startup
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 27, 2013 3:45 AM PST

With me, the desktop icons don't come up until I logon into a Windows account. And if one of them hangs (not that it ever did), I just login into another account to see if it's an issue with that account. What happens if you do that?

When in Safe Mode in this account, run msconfig from the start>run box, go to the startup tab and disable all (make a note of the settings, so you can go back to them later). Then reboot. If that doesn't help, move ALL icons from your desktop to another folder (or simply delete them if you have a good backup of those icons). Then reboot again.

Kees

Collapse -
win hp hangup
by Shepbob / January 28, 2013 12:54 AM PST

Thanks knees. I tried all that you suggested and it goes to the backdrop screen but no start or task bar. The first time I booted up after your suggestions and removing all in the start up from msconfig it restarted and everything came up. When I shut down and restarted later it hung up without the start or task bar.

Collapse -
Since other accounts are broken too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 1:25 AM PST
In reply to: win hp hangup

Did you try the old tricks? That is, control alt delete, task manager, new task and EXPLORER?

I'll not duplicate web pages about that old trick and write that once you do your first order of business is to backup your files.
Bob

Collapse -
other accounts broken
by Shepbob / January 28, 2013 2:15 AM PST

I tried the old trick as you suggested task manager new task and explorer.
Nothing happened for a while then when I tried to reboot and a message explorer.exe not responding came up and the only way out was a manual shutdown by the power switch.

Collapse -
So Safe Mode works?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 2:29 AM PST
In reply to: other accounts broken

There is a well known (well, well known to folk in the know) issue with screen backgrounds. That is, if I drop an image on the desktop or desktop background Windows Explorer can fault with a "not responding".

SINCE SAFE MODE WORKS. Create new account there (make it an admin) and while in safe mode set the background to none and remove any file/folder off the desktop.

Reboot normally and try that new account.
Bob

Collapse -
Safe mode works
by Shepbob / January 28, 2013 4:14 AM PST
In reply to: So Safe Mode works?

Thanks Bob but:
I think I have followed your instructions when I reboot I get a log on screen. I click the new account.
I get a small block in the upper left corner that has a title" personalized settings. No start button no task bar just sets there. If I point to it I get and hour glass on my pointer. Then after a few minutes the screen goes black. The power is still on and I have to hold the power switch until it turns off. When I restart It repeats the same procedure.

Collapse -
But to use that new account
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: Safe mode works

In SAFE MODE we get to that new account and set the background to none, move folders and files off the desktop before we try a boot to normal mode.

Since SAFE MODE works it's something but in these posts I don't see enough detail to say what it is. But I thought we'd try a new account but there is a little more to get it setup while in safe mode.

MSCONFIG should have a lot disabled too.
Bob

Collapse -
use new account
by Shepbob / January 28, 2013 9:48 AM PST

I am now able to boot up Sometimes.
I went to system restore and after about 5 attempts I was finally able to restore to a previous date.
and it booted properly. When I shut down a later tried to boot up the old problem returned. I restarted using f8 and last known good configeration and it booted. When I shut down and then re started the old problem came up again. I had to manually power off. When I booted up again it worked. Go figure what the problem is. I give up.

Collapse -
If it's beginning to work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 10:42 AM PST
In reply to: use new account

That's a clue. Not much but by now your files should be safe on backups. That's the next order of business when this happens.

Repair of Windows is never a sure thing when the nasties get in there. But I will try but here it's hampered by I don't get to see all that happens and I can't ask folk to give me a hijackthis log and more.

The safe mode, new account is to sniff out one of the issues I encounter a log.

If you get it running try Grif's advice for scanning at link to follow.
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421
Bob

Collapse -
it's beginning to work
by Shepbob / January 29, 2013 12:22 AM PST

Thanks Bob and all
It is running normal now. I changed so many settings and setup new accounts I am not sure what did it. I am now guessing that it may have been my cd drive. I caught a message on boot up once that new hardware found and it listed the cd drive. I removed the cmos setting of 1st boot order on it and ever since it has been booting properly. Time will tell I guess. I will also use Grif's recommendation if I encounter any more problems.

Collapse -
Is this an old IDE CDROM drive?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2013 12:36 AM PST
In reply to: it's beginning to work

Those have been seen to throw trash infomation on the IDE bus and cause a slew of issues. Changing the order is a good idea, I unplug the old drive.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.