Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Phones

Resolved Question

Win CE and WM how to change shell from "Explorer.exe"?

by cnet_wd / January 30, 2013 1:49 PM PST

Hello!
We have Motorola equipment and need to change default shell from explorer.exe to some.RDP file at Windows CE 6.0 and Windows Mobile 6.5.

Need any advice how to do it.

Thanks!

cnet_wd has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win CE and WM how to change shell from "Explorer.exe"?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win CE and WM how to change shell from "Explorer.exe"?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by cnet_wd

Collapse -
Sure can do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2013 1:58 PM PST
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa459149.aspx

I usually encounter requests like this but the request is from a non-programmer or they don't own the tools to do the work. That's OK, there are folk that do this for you. Sorry if this sounds like hard work but it is.

My WM apps run on .NET 2.x to 3.5 or WinMo up to about 6.5. Along the way I've done a bit of WM work but without a contract with the office this is all I can offer today.
Bob
Collapse -
changing explorer
by cnet_wd / January 30, 2013 3:33 PM PST
In reply to: Sure can do.

Thank for quick and complete answer, but you are right - it's very hard way.
May be some other, more user-friendly way may be used?
thanks!

Collapse -
Sorry about that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2013 1:36 AM PST
In reply to: changing explorer

I don't want to sound unfriendly in any way but such work is work and is going to require some app development to slide in the replacement shell and get what you want working.

That is, using the article I linked to your App developer would create the solution you want in an user friendly installer package. That's where it gets friendly.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.