Windows 7 forum

Question

Win 7HP FF help! Pg extends beyond screen

by TrinainUS / January 24, 2013 3:56 AM PST

I'm posting this for a less-computer-literate friend. She just got her first laptop. It has Win & Home Premium installed. It seems to be working fine. She installed Firefox last night, and this morning she may have hit a wrong key or something. She's not able to see everything she should be able to on her screen. She can't see anything above tabs, incl. the search/back/forward line (yes, my computer literacy is limited & I'm forgetting terms) and the top line which includes tools, help etc.

She's tried restarting Windows, and changing her FF theme, with no change.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win 7HP FF help! Pg extends beyond screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win 7HP FF help! Pg extends beyond screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Research this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 4:07 AM PST

FIREFOX KIOSK MODE.

Could be in full screen mode too.
Bob

Collapse -
Could you expland, a bit?
by TrinainUS / January 24, 2013 4:20 AM PST
In reply to: Research this.

It doesn't seem to be in either kiosk or full screen mode. Sorry I didn't describe this better to begin with; many apologies.

Her page is so large that there's a horizontal scrollbar showing, as well as the vertical one. Using that, she can move to see the entire page, but wants to view in in the normal format.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Collapse -
I wonder if it's just that. LARGE!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 4:23 AM PST

Did you try the usual Control - (minus) key to resize the page?

Collapse -
Answer
To add to what Bob said.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 4:11 AM PST

Full screen mode can be toggled with F11.

Kees

Collapse -
Still not working
by TrinainUS / January 24, 2013 5:05 AM PST

Control/minus made the screen really small - unreadable. When she closed FF and then restarted it, it went back to the overly-large size it had been.

F11 had a negligible effect.

Thanks very much for the suggestions, though! Am going to try more research online and see if I can't find more info...

Collapse -
Answer
Re: firefox problem.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 5:17 AM PST

Firefox stores all it's settings in it's profile the users Appdata folder (Local>Mozilla>Firefox>Profiles and Roaming>Mozilla>Firefox. Nothing easier than deleting these to 2 folders and start all over (except that they might be hidden, but that's a typical standard Windows thing, easy to change).

Most people don't backup that Appdata folder. So I assume your friend didn't either, especially not with a new first laptop and a program installed only yesterday. In that case she has to start from scratch and redo all addons, settings, passwords, bookmarks and such; but that won't be much.
So once this is solved it might be a good idea spend some time to set up a good backup strategy for her.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks & a bit more info
by TrinainUS / January 24, 2013 6:29 AM PST
In reply to: Re: firefox problem.

That's useful - I'm sure it'll come in handy.

The following may also come in handy for someone who's having the same problem. This is a copy-and-paste of my paraphrase to my friend of what I found in Firefox Support:

1) Close firefox, then hold down the shift key when you click the button that starts firefox. This will start ff in 'safe mode.' when it does that, you should see 2 buttons. one will be 'reset firefox.' click on that. (Don't worry; you won't lose anything important) I think this will fix the size, but you may still have an issue or two.

2) If that didn't fix it, then click the orange Firefox icon at the top left of your page. Click options. 'Menu bar' will be the first option listed. If it doesn't have a check mark next to it, click on 'menu bar' and that will keep it there permanently.

3) You may not still be seeing the search bar line. If not, do this:
Right-click on an empty section of the tab strip and select Customize, to open the Customize Toolbar window. Then click Restore Default Set (that'll be on the lower right, just above the 'done' button). Then click 'done.'

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.