Windows 7 forum

General discussion

win 7 x 64 display

by Bailey1515 / March 18, 2013 3:55 AM PDT

My display keeps turning off after 5 min even though I've set it in power options to never. Help

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: win 7 x 64 display
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: win 7 x 64 display
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you checked the screen saver?
by wpgwpg / March 18, 2013 4:00 AM PDT
In reply to: win 7 x 64 display

It could be your screen saver. Have you checked that?

Collapse -
win 7 x 64 display
by Bailey1515 / March 18, 2013 4:42 AM PDT

the screen saver is set to none

Collapse -
Then I'd contact your computer manufacturer
by wpgwpg / March 18, 2013 4:47 AM PDT

Your computer manufacturer might be able to help you. Have you checked for viruses?

Good luck.

Collapse -
win 7 x 64 display
by Bailey1515 / March 18, 2013 5:00 AM PDT

checking for viruses now. It was a home build. Who would I contact

Collapse -
If you build a system, you're your own support
by wpgwpg / March 18, 2013 10:09 AM PDT

That's one of the disadvantages of building your own system; you're own support. Sad

Good luck.

Collapse -
win 7 x 64 display
by Bailey1515 / March 18, 2013 5:20 AM PDT

it started about a month ago after I updated a program and I don't think I still have that restore point

Collapse -
Given the slim details
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 5:24 AM PDT

I fear we are headed to the old fix it all answer. You built it so there is no support we know of for a machine of unknown everything.

I had hopes of reading some details such as the program you noted but you have left out details many times. And yes, you are asked for such with each post.

-> Reload the OS, restore your files and this time don't update that program.
Bob

Collapse -
win 7 x 64 display
by Bailey1515 / March 18, 2013 7:55 AM PDT

I have deleted the program I thought was the problem but my display is still turning off and I have restored as far back as possible to no avail.

Collapse -
Got your email. Here's the issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 7:58 AM PDT

You have only supplied so much detail and unless there are more clues it looks like you will reload the OS. With each post you should be seeing the following.

"Please read before posting

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended."

I know the reload the OS is unpopular but when we only have the details as they are so far, it remains the sure fire cure.
Bob

Collapse -
win 7 x 64 display
by Bailey1515 / March 18, 2013 3:32 PM PDT

if you need info,please specify. As stated in first post OS is win 7 ultimate x64

Collapse -
I don't want to upset you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2013 3:03 AM PDT

But this is your discussion. I added what is asked each time you post but let me spell it out for you and again I don't want to upset you but it needs to be said here.

This is your discussion. Unlike tech support you pay for, you must care and feed your discussion by offering more details even when not asked for such.

Again, this is your discussion.
Bob

Collapse -
win 7 x 64 display
by Bailey1515 / March 19, 2013 6:24 AM PDT

Bob
Let me spell it out for you. You are of no help. You are only critical instead of asking for the info, you would rather criticize. Allow someone else who can be more helpful to respond to this post.

Collapse -
This is not criticism
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2013 6:55 AM PDT

I have asked that you supply details such as asked each time you post. If such is not available I understand since many of today's owners don't know what they have.

If that's the case, just tell the forum and members will supply titles that can help find out what the machine is.
Bob

Collapse -
Let's use just what you have told. These are guesses.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2013 7:51 AM PDT

Look in the Power controls of Windows 7. Here's a screen shot.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9090/learning-windows-7-manage-power-settings/

Scroll down to the section titled "Then you can change the amount of inactive time before the monitor is turned off or the computer goes into Sleep mode."

This will have no effect on one of my computers as the maker installed their own control panel.
It also will not work on one of our monitors as it has it's own timer.

This is why we ask for details.
Bob

Collapse -
win 7 x 64 display
by Bailey1515 / March 19, 2013 8:49 AM PDT

Since you have provided details, the sleep mode timer is set to never. Any other ideas

Collapse -
win 7 x 64 display
by Bailey1515 / March 19, 2013 8:50 AM PDT

all settings in power options are set to never

Collapse -
Remember this does not work on a few machines
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2013 8:58 AM PDT

These used another control panel installed by the maker. We have many posts now so I'm left to guess you feel this issue should be solved without more details.

This brings up a question for you. How are you currently obtaining support when you need it? Local store, neighbor or the web?

And a second question. Since problems like this are pretty common do you feel that Windows days are numbered as folks become more demanding that such things work without having to dive into what it is, why it happens or becoming a network engineer?
Bob

Collapse -
win 7 x 64 display
by Bailey1515 / March 19, 2013 12:55 PM PDT

Can anyone else help

Collapse -
Interesting.. Just A Few Things You Haven't Provided For Us
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 19, 2013 1:08 PM PDT

All of the things below could be related to how we might answer your question.. ( Like telling the auto mechanic: "I have a blue 76 Chevy... Why won't it run?...and expecting the mechanic to tell you how to fix it over the phone without you providing details about the car..)

Unfortunately, someone who is asking for help shouldn't need to be forced to give detailed information about their machine. So I'll ask just a few questions that come to mind regarding your "win 7 x 64 display" which "keeps turning off after 5 min even though I've set it in power options to never."

Laptop or desktop...? (yep, home builders can do both.)

Graphics card make, model and type?: Integrated in motherboard or separate card?

Have you tried updating the graphics driver?

What HAVE you tried to attempt to fix the problem? (This obviously helps us narrow down on the suggestions we can provide.)

Have you tried updating the chipset/motherboard/BIOS drivers/firmware for your computer? (Since you haven't told us the motherboard type, we can't even make a decision whether Windows 7 is supported in the BIOS version your have, etc.) If you haven't updated these items, please do so.

If a desktop computer, have you tried swapping in a different, known good monitor? How 'bout swapping in a different video cable between monitor and graphics plug on computer?

If you have both VGA and DVI connections on the back of your desktop tower (IF you have a desktop), have you tried using the other type of connection?

If a laptop computer, tried using a secondary monitor to see if the problem is with the onboard display screen?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
And Just A Couple More Questions...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 19, 2013 1:21 PM PDT

1. Which "Win 7 x 64" do you have? Pro? Home? Do you have Service Pack 1 installed or is this Win7 original? (SP1 fixed a number of reliability/compatibility issues so these things could be related to your issue.)

2. Have you got all Windows Updates installed to the current date? (This is important as well, since the same fixes are included in these as well.) Did you install the March 2013 Platform Update KB2670838 which has caused a few problems on mobile computers with AMD chipsets.

3. Which processor are you using?

4. WHEN did this problem start? If immediately after Windows Updates, it might be relevant.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
win 7 x 64 display
by Bailey1515 / March 20, 2013 11:55 AM PDT

That a lot of info. Here's what I have so far:

it is a desk top
graphics card is seperate from mobo and ati radeon 5700 hd. (Missing info? Ask and specify where to find.)
have not tried to update bios drivers or firmware. (Need help to do that)
have not tried to swap monitors
have not tried swapping the video cable
have not tried using either the other vga or dvi connection

Collapse -
win 7 x 64 display
by Bailey1515 / March 20, 2013 11:59 AM PDT

OS is windows 7 ultimate x 64
processor is i7 920
have updated graphic driver and windows will not load. it's a black screen after the post and windows logo comes up. that is what i get when display turns off. Therefore am using a standard vga driver with a window index of 1 due to the graphics.

All power options are set to never, sleep mode is off.

Problem started a month ago. Thought it was related to a software upgrade, and tried uninstalling i tunes and display still turns off.

Screen saver is set to none.

Collapse -
win 7 x 64 display
by Bailey1515 / March 20, 2013 12:02 PM PDT

I have a dual boot system and went in to win xp today and updated i tunes and my display turned off. I took several tries to restore the system as 5 min is not enough for system restore to complete.

I did not update the win platform and am fearful to do so on this system. But i did install it on my other pc and I haven't had any problems.

Collapse -
win 7 x 64 display
by Bailey1515 / March 20, 2013 12:07 PM PDT

Mobo is x58Aud3. (Missing info. ask and specify where to find)

I read in another forum someone had the same problem with a lap top and the suggestion was to take out the ram and clean contacts with an eraser. tried that and cleaned the tower with an air can and system stays on for 30 min and then turns off.

Collapse -
win 7 x 64 display
by Bailey1515 / March 20, 2013 12:10 PM PDT

I went into power options again and under pci express, there is link state power mgmt. it was set to moderate power saving and i set it to off.

I've tried uninstalling software, restoring to earlier dates, resetting options in power management.

Off to try the above suggestions with swapping monitore and video cable and connections

Collapse -
win 7 x 64 display
by Bailey1515 / March 20, 2013 12:23 PM PDT

mobo is gigabyte ga x58a ud3r

Collapse -
Here, We'd Start By ...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 20, 2013 1:41 PM PDT

First performing some of the things you haven't done:

"have not tried to swap monitors
have not tried swapping the video cable
have not tried using either the other vga or dvi connection"

Next, we swap in a known good video card. We have replacements handy around here and swapping in a known good video card would be the first step based on your responses. With all the problems regarding display dropping out, it's logical to think the video card is problematic. From there, it becomes trial and error and we might move to wiping the hard drive and reinstalling everything back to its original state... This doesn't appear to be RAM related, but who knows, anything's possible..

And these responses seem wrong..

In this post your say you updated the graphics driver and Windows wouldn't load.
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-19411_102-5439352.html

But in this post you say you went into Power Options and made changes.. How do you do that without loading Windows?
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-19411_102-5439384.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
win 7 x 64 display
by Bailey1515 / March 21, 2013 4:12 AM PDT

Windows will not load when i updated the driver. And it is possible to go back in and adjust power options as i went into safe mode and rolled back the driver to the vga driver.

Collapse -
So Windows "Safe Mode" Would Load.. Windows "normal mode"...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 21, 2013 8:43 AM PDT

...would not..

Still waiting on results of your other tasks..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
win 7 x 64 display
by Bailey1515 / March 22, 2013 3:29 AM PDT

have swapped monitors and so far display has been on for min. If it is the monitor, any ideas on how to fix. It's 3 years old, warranty has run out and would like to repair if possible.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.