Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

WIN 7 WON'T LET ME MAKE YAHOO MAIL MY DEFAULT

by wheelwinner / January 25, 2010 9:28 AM PST

Hi all,

I have a Dell Inspiron i545 desktop with an Intel Core 2 quad processor and 8GB of memory which is running Windows 7. Many times when I want to email a web page I have found to another person, it wants me to use WINDOWS LIVE as the email (I only use Yahoo and don't even understand how to set up Windows Live ... sorry!) Anyway, I followed the instructions to make Yahoo Mail my default but when I follow them, it is not a choice.

Can anyone give me a simple explanation of what I can do? I really appreciate everyone's help and learn a lot here. Also at times, I see requests for SMTP & POP3 addresses (I use Comcast high speed internet connection) and don't know what they are. Yes ... there are some of us old timers out here who can be frustrated by even the most mundane things ... but I'm trying!

Thanks to all.

Grammy Annie

pls lmk if I haven't given enough technical information in order to be helped.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WIN 7 WON'T LET ME MAKE YAHOO MAIL MY DEFAULT
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WIN 7 WON'T LET ME MAKE YAHOO MAIL MY DEFAULT
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You didn't tell us what instructions you followed, but ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 25, 2010 12:11 PM PST

since yahoo mail is web mail it isn't as simple as changing from dedicated email clients such as Outlook to Thunderbird or vice versa - it requires a third party intervention.

Here is a link that should help - it REQUIRES installing the yahoo toolbar. This assumes that your default web browser is Internet Explorer and NOT firefox.
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/settings/settings-10.html

Alternatively you can follow these instructions and set Yahoo mail as the default in both firefox and MSIE --

PC -- Internet Explorer or Firefox

1. From the ?Start? pop-up menu in the lower left corner of your desktop, select ?Settings? then ?Control Panel?.
2. In the Control Panel, select ?Internet Options?. This opens the ?Internet Properties? window.
3. Click the ?Programs? tab along the top.
4. Click the ?E-mail? pull-down menu, and select Yahoo! Mail*

Click OK.

*Are you not seeing Yahoo! Mail in your list of E-mail programs? Download Yahoo! Messenger. It?s easy, it?s quick, and it puts Yahoo! Mail in your E-mail application list.

Collapse -
FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS
by wheelwinner / January 26, 2010 12:38 PM PST

Dear Edward, Thanks ... I followed everything you suggested but when you get to the last "choose Yahoo mail" from the dropdown menu, it's NOT THERE. So I went ahead and also did what you suggested and downloaded Yahoo Messenger ... that didn't help either. The instructions I previously followed before posting were pretty much what you suggested with the exception of Messenger. Guess I'll just have to live with the situation for now ... I have an even bigger problem I need to post about: fits and starts with typing while I'm composing email!!!!! Lord help me ... if it isn't one thing, it's another. But again ... that's an aside ... I do thank you for your assistance. Grammy Annie

Collapse -
It appears now to be a problem with VERSIONS ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 27, 2010 11:17 PM PST

of the Yahoo Messenger.

I don't use it and was unaware that the option to add the plug-in has apparently disappeared.

try this solution:

FIRST - Go to http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?ymmapi to download yammapi.dll and copy it to the following location.
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common
(If this path does not exist you will have to create any missing folders such as YAHOO! and COMMON although they should still be there since you tried the earlier solution.)

SECOND - Copy EVERYTHING that I have bolded below that lies between the two rows of asterisks but not the rows of asterisks themselves then paste it into Notepad and save the file as y_mail.reg (or any name you prefer as long as it has the REG file extension)
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Yahoo! Mail]
@="Yahoo! Mail"
"DLLPath"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\Yahoo!\\Common\\YMMAPI.dll"
"LocalizedString"="Yahoo! Mail"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Yahoo! Mail\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\PROGRA~1\\Yahoo!\\Common\\YMMAPI.dll,-201"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Yahoo! Mail\InstallInfo]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Yahoo! Mail\Protocols]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Yahoo! Mail\Protocols\mailto]
@="URL:MailTo Protocol"
"EditFlags"=hex:02,00,00,00
"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Yahoo!
Mail\Protocols\mailto\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\PROGRA~1\\Yahoo!\\Common\\YMMAPI.dll,-201"

Mail\Protocols\mailto\shell]

Mail\Protocols\mailto\shell\open]

Mail\Protocols\mailto\shell\open\command]
@="rundll32.exe
\"C:\\PROGRA~1\\Yahoo!\\Common\\YMMAPI.dll\",MailToProtocolHandler %1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Yahoo! Mail\shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Yahoo! Mail\shell\open]

Mail\shell\open\command]
@="rundll32.exe
\"C:\\PROGRA~1\\Yahoo!\\Common\\YMMAPI.dll\",OpenInboxHandler"

THIRD - Now you double click on the file you have just saved ( y_mail.reg ) and respond affirmatively so that it gets written into the registry.

FOURTH - go through the Internet Options process again and this time you should see and be able to choose Yahoo mail.

Let us know how it works for you. Since you do not know me it will not hurt my feelings if you want to ask anyone to look over the reg file to verify that it will not harm your registry or system.

Enjoy!

Collapse -
WIN 7 and IE10 WON'T LET ME MAKE YAHOO MAIL MY DEFAULT
by mimozain / June 17, 2013 3:21 AM PDT

I tried what you have mentioned above but still not working, please let me know if there is other way or if I have been doing something wrong
thanks

Collapse -
Yahoo mail has changed in 3 years.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2013 3:57 AM PDT

You should research current solutions or just use an email app (software.)

"This thread is more than 1238 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and replying to it will serve no purpose. However, if you feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so."

Collapse -
email
by jeff_windows_team / January 26, 2010 2:51 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.