Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Win 7 Pro x64; Windows Media Player Lost?

by sugarbear246 / March 30, 2013 3:07 AM PDT

I have Windows 7 Pro x64 Installed on My Computer. I found a Google article that gave Instructions to "Downgrade" from Windows Media Player 12 To Windows Media Player 11; by Changing some "Registry Entries"?
Well guess what; (IT DIDN'T WORK)?
ANYONE KNOW "HOW" TO GET MY WINDOW MEDIA PLAYER 12 BACK?
Hope someone has a Fix!
Sugarbear246

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win 7 Pro x64; Windows Media Player Lost?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win 7 Pro x64; Windows Media Player Lost?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Very odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2013 3:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
by sugarbear246 / March 30, 2013 12:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Very odd.

Thanks for the suggestion Bob. I downloaded the file: (Windows6.1-KB968211x64-Refresh Pkg).
When the (Windows Update Standalone Installer) began the Installation it gave me this Error Message,
(THIS UPDATE IS NOT APPLICABLE TO YOUR COMPUTER)?
Not sure WHICH Update IS APPLICABLE? Got any more ideas on how to get the Windows Media Player 12 Executable File?
Now I'm really Curious?
Sugarbear246

Collapse -
Could it already be installed?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2013 2:53 PM PDT
Collapse -
by sugarbear246 / March 30, 2013 4:28 PM PDT

I Already performed the Turning on and Off function in the Control Panel; it Says it's turned back on, but I believe the (ENTRY DELETED FROM THE REGISTRY) Has Rendered this Function inoperable as Regards the Window Media Player 12?
I don't understand WHY you can't Just Download and Install the File from MS Servers?
Can it Be Re-Installed from the (OS Installation Disc)?
Help;
Sugarbear246

Collapse -
have you tried system restore
by itsdigger / March 30, 2013 4:35 PM PDT

to a time that it worked ?

Collapse -
by sugarbear246 / March 31, 2013 3:00 AM PDT

Yes! I performed a System Restore to 3 Separate Restore Points, but neither of them Restored the Deleted Windows Media Player 12?
Sugarbear246

Collapse -
Well Bob's probably right
by itsdigger / March 31, 2013 3:05 AM PDT

Time to break out the OS installation disc's and go to work

Collapse -
by sugarbear246 / March 31, 2013 8:03 AM PDT

Can you Specify a (Specific) Application to Restore; (In this case Windows Media Player 12), Using the Installation CD? Not sure HOW or IF this is possible?
Thanks for any help in this regard!
Sugarbear246

Collapse -
(NT) just reload the whole OS
by itsdigger / March 31, 2013 8:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
by sugarbear246 / March 31, 2013 8:33 AM PDT

I was hoping I wouldn't have to reload the Entire OS? That means I'd have to sit through the process of Acquiring "ALL THE UPDATES", all over again?
I Guess this is the only remedy.
Thanks for the Help :)!
Sugarbear246

Collapse -
sorry but from what I 've read
by itsdigger / March 31, 2013 8:44 AM PDT

that's what ya have to do. You could always install any number of other free media players

Collapse -
Remember that registry editing means all bets are off.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2013 1:36 AM PDT

As to the understanding, this gets to a rather long discussion about areas we need to avoid.

Is that the entire error message? A search tells me that was not what it reported.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=&as_epq=ENTRY+DELETED+FROM+THE+REGISTRY

Files are indeed downloadable from MS and the OS DVD but registry damage? That area is pretty nasty and why no moderator offers advice on registry cleaners or fixers.

I wish I could see that error message since it might lead to a fix other than reinstalling the OS.
Bob

Collapse -
by sugarbear246 / March 31, 2013 3:07 AM PDT

Bob; I SAVED the Entire Error Message with MSPaint as a Print Screen File which I have saved on my Desktop. I don't believe this Forum provides a means of Attaching a File to these communications? Not sure about that, but I assure you that the Exact Error Message says that the file: KB968211x64 is, and I Quote "Not Applicable to Your Computer"? Not sure why I'm getting this Error?
Sorry but that's all I can offer at this time?
Sugarbear246

Collapse -
I need the other message.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2013 8:36 AM PDT

The one about "ENTRY DELETED FROM THE REGISTRY"

The unapplicable error message could be a clue but it's not the big clue.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.