Windows 7 forum

Question

Win 7: Increase Physical Memory?

by Buzz_2012 / February 15, 2012 11:23 PM PST

My 2010 Lenovo PC has been sluggish. Tried all the basic (defrag, etc) tools. Even optimized visuals for performance, which makes it look like my machine is 8 years old running XP.
According to Task Manager, with only 1 browser open for this thread & no other apps running, physical memory is at 38%. Running only email & browser can get up to 77%.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win 7: Increase Physical Memory?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win 7: Increase Physical Memory?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
This reads like you opted for 32 bit Windows 7.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2012 12:33 AM PST

If so, that's the proper numbers. I've seen this before. Some folk make that choice and then are upset on how to fix it.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Memory Increase?
by beacher126 / March 9, 2012 1:33 PM PST

First thing we need to know is what "Bit" OS you are running(32 or 64). A 32 bit os will olny recog 3.25GB of memory,wheras the 64 bit will recognize what ever your motherboard can handle. Also you need to check the specs and make sure that your PC(Motherboard) can handle the type of ram you have or want to install.

Collapse -
Not entirely true
by Jimmy Greystone / March 9, 2012 9:30 PM PST
In reply to: Memory Increase?

Not entirely true... Depending on the version of Windows you have, it will only recognize certain amounts of RAM. Win 7 Home Premium I believe tops out at around either 8 or 16GB, then Pro would be around 32GB, and Ultimate/Enterprise is 64GB. Don't quote me on the specific numbers, but there are limits built into the different versions of Windows. So while a 64-bit OS is capable of handling quite a bit more memory, Microsoft introduced artificial limits into Windows 7, and probably the same with Vista. Also, not that it will become an issue for a couple of years at least, but all Intel and AMD 64-bit CPUs using the x86-64 or x64 as it is sometimes colloquially known, are only capable of 48-bit memory addressing. Without getting too far into the weeds, it's a necessary tradeoff to have both 32 and 64-bit process execution. Still, for every additional bit, IIRC, you basically exponentially increase the amount of RAM that can be addressed. So even 48-bit addressing gets well into the TB range.

Collapse -
Not entirely true
by beacher126 / March 10, 2012 4:08 AM PST
In reply to: Not entirely true

If you check the MSDN website you'll see that a 64 Bit OS (Enterprise,Professional,Ultimate) can hold up to 192 GB. Home Premium 64 Bit is limited to 16 GB. All 32 Bits are limited to 4 GB even though it will only recognize 3.25 GB.

Collapse -
In some machines, 32 bit can go under 2GB.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 10, 2012 4:13 AM PST

There are long discussions why.

Collapse -
Like I said
by Jimmy Greystone / March 10, 2012 4:33 AM PST

Like I said: don't quote me on the specific numbers. It was something I noticed while skimming through a MCITP Windows 7 book. Wasn't really aiming to commit it to memory. So down boy, you win. You clearly are willing to spend a minute or two with Google to find the specific numbers where I am not. Mostly because I was making a point that there are artificial limits put into Windows by Microsoft, so the specific limits would be secondary. But hey, it's not like I noticed your overeager attempt to try and prove me wrong on a point I wasn't trying to make, and made some comment about it!

Plus I never disputed anything you said about 32-bit versions of Windows. I'm actually with Microsoft on their decision not to support PAE, instead insisting that people migrate to a 64-bit platform. Much better long-term strategy IMO. Of course technically they will recognize all 4GB, they just will only be able to utilize ~3.25GB because of the overhead from protected mode operation which makes the GPF errors those of us who used Windows 3.x probably still remember, a thing of the past.

And of course Bob also has a point about how integrated video chipsets can siphon off RAM for their own use, and make the number even smaller on a 32-bit OS. Another good reason why it's better to suffer some teething pains now in making the transition to a 64-bit OS rather than a band-aid solution like PAE.

Collapse -
Answer
Please answer..
by sahai-marvel / January 31, 2013 2:49 AM PST

i have dell inspiron 1525

with win 8 pro installed..

but i am having the same problem..

installed memory: 2.50GB
total memory: 2.49GBavailable: 1.83GB

what can i do to use my ram to it's full potential...??

Collapse -
You are doing that already.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2013 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: Please answer..

As some memory is used for the display and most apps can only use 2.0GB RAM your laptop is using the RAM to its best potential today.

Maybe you wanted to ask a different question such as why does my PC use RAM for my video display but that was not your question.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: RAM issues
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 31, 2013 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: Please answer..

I don't see any issue. The OS and the programs you run use memory, so part of the total memory is not available for other programs when you look.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.