Windows 7 forum

Win 7 end date to buy

by JT_Hunter / October 3, 2012 8:42 PM PDT

As I did not get much response on the Win 8 forum, perhaps someone here might lend a hand....thanks...

Will MS pull Win 7 from the shelves when Win 8 is released?

Here is what I am up against. I have a client that has 10 desktops with XP. They do not wish to upg.rade at this time due to the fact that the current systems are not paid off yet. I do not want them to have to upgrade systems as well as OS when MS stops support for XP. I would rather see them buy win 7 now, as I doubt their older hardware will be complient with win 8

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win 7 end date to buy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win 7 end date to buy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: Windows 8
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 3, 2012 9:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Win 7 end date to buy

The hardware requirement for Windows 8 are the same as for Windows 7, ankd that is more than for XP. So your question seems unnecessary.

I expect Microsoft to pull it from its the shelves. But every shop has its own shelves for the disk.
Moreover, it's more a question of licenses than of disks.

Collapse -
To add to that
by Jimmy Greystone / October 3, 2012 11:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Windows 8

To add to that, AFAIK, Win 8 uses the same drivers as 7, which are basically the same as Vista, so it's like the Win2000 to XP migration, where the driver model remained unchanged, giving kind of a false impression of a lack of drivers.

For the OP: I know it's easy to do armchair quarterbacking, but given support for XP is about to come to an abrupt end within about a years time, I would just save the money of the Windows 7 licenses and just turn around and invest that in a new set of computers once the current set has been paid for. Then you can keep the old ones around for a time, so you aren't in a mad rush to migrate data, etc, and you can give people some time to acclimate to Windows 8 because it will be a pretty big culture shock coming from XP. Some might consider that to be an understatement.

If the current units came with XP, then the hardware is probably pretty old, and it'd be time to consider upgrading. Then the company can happily rediscover it's neo-luddite ways and just sit with Windows 8 for many years to come, because it'll probably be around 2017 before MS drops all support for Win 8. Of course from a business perspective, it's a good idea to not let yourself get too far behind, otherwise you end up having issues with migrating data or getting sticker shock from having to pay full price for some new version of a vital program, the older version you have no longer working on the new OS release. You don't have to upgrade the instant something comes out, but you should try and keep within 1-2 versions of the latest as much as possible. Also have contingency plans in place for what happens if that program vendor goes under, or makes some kind of change that renders it unusable for your company, that sort of thing.

Collapse -
To add
by Steven Haninger / October 3, 2012 11:26 PM PDT

I know that VARs offered XP long after Win7 became the only thing you could find on store shelves. Don't expect MS to offer the last copies at fire sale prices, however. If you're not interested in Win8 and definitely want 7 for a near future purchase, you might want to buy a copy now. I'd spring for full retail if it won't make you miss too many meals.

Collapse -
Try this
by tonyron227 / October 3, 2012 11:52 PM PDT

On Oct. 26th Windows 8 upgrades (via download links) will be on sale for $39.99. This is a whole lot cheaper than the cost of a Windows 7 disk right now. Your client would only be out $400 for all 10 computers. Microsoft is encouraging this type of upgrade to get folks off of XP.

After the download you will have to burn the .iso files to disc.....

Collapse -
by JT_Hunter / October 4, 2012 1:22 AM PDT

I was pretty sure I knew this, but I think it is also a good idea to ask for other people for their advice...Thanks everyone

Collapse -
MS Support
by terryblount / October 5, 2012 11:11 PM PDT

I have had lots of queries from clients running XP and W7 on company PCs and their own private computers. There does not appear to be any issues regarding the availability of updates. Even if updates are no longer available, the systems seem to run ok without them, experimenting with these OSs on my own PCs which I use for testing, they run ok with or without updates. The main concern is not just support from MS, but from computer manufacturers. Just one example is HP computers that are not very old with socket 478 CPUs, MS states that any PC running W7 will be able to run W8, this is NOT true. The reason is that MS require PAE,NX and SSE2 to be configured in bios. And since this option is not available in the bios setup, these computers will not be able to run W8. My clients feel that they are being blackmailed into buying new computers when there would be a solution to this issue if MS would remove this requirement. Also the manufacturers could easily provide a suitable Bios update to enable these requirements. Why they are not doing this is a puzzle, considering the recent downturn in the confidence in HP products, and dropping sales, now is the time to put more pressure on both MS and PC manufactures.

Collapse -
Yep Seen That
by JT_Hunter / October 6, 2012 1:36 AM PDT
In reply to: MS Support

There are an estimated 15% of pc's out there still running XP.

The client I have is a small grooup of "non" pc people and they do not want to move to win7 because it is "so" different. They special ordered their Dells with XP installed at the end of that cycle...Dell Vostro 200.

The pay off on the systems are tied up in court believe it or not. They also fired thier "pc" guy. Ya gotta love it.

I thought that moving them slowly over time to win7 would be good for them and not make a big impact on thier daily work schedule. They have a need to keep their current systems for at least one more year, and maybe beyond that. I am making an effort to help them survive as a small business if you know what I mean, and at the same time build mine on foundation of my priciples.

Collapse -
I guess you've heard this line.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2012 1:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Yep Seen That

"Change or die."

This company by not moving along with the changes may not be saved. You have to be kind about such things but if a company is that locked into a system, when the system moves on they die and another company takes its place.

There is no easy way to break the news and you might find folk defending this one way or another.

Win 7 is not so different. Apps are apps. No one I know uses the OS that much anymore.

Collapse -
The original question
by JT_Hunter / October 7, 2012 1:13 AM PDT

So, no one has actually answered my original question.
Will MS pull win7 when win8 is released?
I appreciate evryone's input, but the decision is for my client to make, and if there is only a short window of time to make that decision, I want them to have that opportunity.

Collapse -
We use XP as an example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 7, 2012 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: The original question

So far its been 12 years and I still can buy XP CD's and licenses.

No one will answer you officially and if you can't figure out why, I can only defer you to those folk in Redmond.

You should try 10 years for the answer.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.