Yes, a 19-inch (which one?)
Yes, a 20-inch (which one?)
Yes, another size (what size?)
Already have one (how do you like it?)
Won't buy one (why not?)
Not sure (why?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will you buy an LCD monitor?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will you buy an LCD monitor?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Monitor
by crazeebob2000 / December 15, 2005 3:33 PM PST

This 17" CRT is working fine for me.

Collapse -
Will you buy an LCD monitor?
by Mycouch1 / December 15, 2005 6:38 PM PST
In reply to: Monitor

Using a Sony 23 inch LCD as we speak.

Collapse -
LCD
by Speakerboxx / December 19, 2005 3:21 AM PST

im using an Olevia 27 inch widescreen HDTV as my monitor.. and i love it.. the quality is amazing

Collapse -
Need a 20" screen
by Rihy / December 15, 2005 7:39 PM PST

CAD-environment is painful with a smaller screen. I suggested our purchasing department to buy a Fujitsu-Siemens Scenicview 20-2 or a Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW LCD-panel.

Collapse -
Need a 20" screen
by N/REV MS/360 SNY / September 23, 2006 4:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Need a 20" screen

I suggest you spend your money on a 20.1 '' Wide Screen View Sonic monitor, bro has one , loves it!

Collapse -
CRTs
by butterfly41 / December 17, 2005 1:03 AM PST

So, it?s working fine at the moment, what are you going to do when it dies??????????????????? and you can?t get it fixed.

Butterfly41

Collapse -
Get another one
by crazeebob2000 / December 19, 2005 10:29 AM PST
In reply to: CRTs

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Collapse -
LOVE MY SAMSUNG
by Riverledge / December 17, 2005 7:26 AM PST

I bought a new PC in april 2003 sans monitor. I was planning on using my old Gateway 19'' CRT. I did for a short while, but while shopping for a new printer, all the flat screen LCD's caught my eye.

I was sold. Couldn't resist such a deal!!!

I ended up with a 17'' Samsung wide-screen; after all
the rebates (it was a new model at the time) the screen cost less than $450. I love it, especially the
high contrast and deep blacks. I use it for everything
except high-tech apps. Bonus: easier on the eyes.

Collapse -
Samsung KILLS me & other people too - see this
by jelley / December 17, 2005 8:22 AM PST
In reply to: LOVE MY SAMSUNG

I created a site re: monitor pain issues, and the Samsung 151s LCD really set off my problems with a vengeance.

Furthermore, I created a survey, wherein at least 2 others besides me also cited Samsung health issues.

So everyone's computer monitor experiences are like the tale of the blind men who are all testifying about different parts of an elephant & jumping to different conclusions.

Collapse -
Sounds bad......
by Riverledge / December 17, 2005 10:42 AM PST

Must be a beginners model. Basically their screens are quite good.

Collapse -
it's a complex issue
by jelley / December 18, 2005 8:34 AM PST
In reply to: Sounds bad......

I'd forgotten to post the URLs. The issue is complex because it's related to BOTH toxic monitors AND the health situation of monitors' owners.

Anyway, here's my guestbook survey, wherein 2 people (besides me) complained of Samsung - and my site/story is linked to it:

http://www.lemnet.com/guestbooks/show/?user=monitorp&book=1a

Collapse -
Too complex to believe...
by Nvanlaar / January 7, 2006 2:12 AM PST
In reply to: it's a complex issue

2 people out of how many? I have a 712N and love it. I had one problem, some pixels burned out or something. I called samsung and they promptley shipped me a new one and return postage for my old one. I only wish I had the money for a 19 or 20 incher.

Collapse -
Possible Drawback
by num.ber / December 15, 2005 6:33 PM PST

The only disadvantage with LCD is the problem of "dead pixels".
As things stand at the moment manufacturers (including all the 'top names') are allowed to supply screens with dead pixels - without this being considered a fault and the purchaser not being able to obtain a replacement.
To make things more complicated there does not seem to be an agreed standard covering the number allowed.
Dead pixels result in a very bright white spot on the screen and although there may be very few, if you have them, the eye is drawn to them constantly.
I spent a very long time looking until I found a manufacturer (Optronix) who guarantees 100% "No Dead Pixels" and although wasn't a 'top name' brand the spec and performance are as good as any I've seen.

Collapse -
Dead pixels aren't just for LCDs
by Himself / December 16, 2005 4:58 AM PST
In reply to: Possible Drawback

I've got a beautiful 20" CRT and it came with 2 dead pixels. Not exactly the same as on an LCD, though. It's a greenish dot and a reddish dot. unlike the LCD, if it's a black screen, you can't see them. However, none of my friends' LCDs, nor my 20" LCD at work has any dead pixels. I think it's just a quality control issue and most LCDs are really really good about quality.

Collapse -
Bought an ACER AL1914
by hack49 / December 15, 2005 6:38 PM PST

I recently upgraded my PC and at the same time went from a CRT to an LCD monitor. I have an Acer AL1914 19".

I'm delighted with it. Previously I had a 17" CRT.

The main benefits, apart from taking up a lot less desk space, are less glare and bigger display area.

My old CRT was not bad (.26 dot pitch) but I found an improvement in sharpness and less flicker.

If you are going for an LCD I reckon it's worth the extra to go to 19"

Collapse -
LCD Rocks
by cruiser47 / December 15, 2005 11:06 PM PST
In reply to: Bought an ACER AL1914

I am in total agreement in the upgrading from CRT to LCD monitor. I recently moved to Puerto Rico and instead of lugging my bulky 18" CRT monitor, I invested in the Acer AL1914 and because of it's compact size was able to carry it on board as a carry on luggage.

The advantages are so obvious, from taking up less space on my desk to better clarity, to less flicker, to being easier on my eyes with regard to eye strain.

I was so impressed with my P/C LCD monitor, that I even went out and purchased a 32" LCD HDTV monitor for my viewing pleasure. Playing video games on either of my LCD monitors are a way superior experience than on my old CRTs.

Collapse -
lcd vs. crt. monitors
by dawson4022 / December 15, 2005 6:56 PM PST

already have an lcd monitor and love it. 19.1 viewing and there are several things that contribute to why I like it better than a crt screen monitor. the first reason is that there is virtually no heat given off by the lcd vs. the crt monitor. light reflection from above or behind you has no glare showing on the lcd. light reflecting on the lcd monitor has no reflection showing back and this is contributed to the light coming from the back of the screen.

Collapse -
What about 3D?
by bbguntx / December 15, 2005 8:03 PM PST
In reply to: lcd vs. crt. monitors

I have always heard that because LCD does not support 3D graphics well that gaming sucks on the LCD over the CRT. Any opinions?

Thanks,

BBguntx

Collapse -
3D on LCD
by umft7d / December 15, 2005 11:22 PM PST
In reply to: What about 3D?

As the owner of an LCD monitor for over 2 years now, I can say that the older LCD monitors didn't do so well with 3D graphics, primarily because their refresh rates were somewhat low compared to those of CRTs. However, the most recent few generations of LCDs do just as well as any CRT I've ever seen in terms of gaming performance. The only problem you might experience in terms of graphics is jagged edges if you're running a 3D game at less than your monitor's native resolution. However, this problem would only occur if you had a weak video card (one that did poorly on a 1280x1024 resolution, which is the typical native resolution of many LCDs) which I assume is not a problem since every gamer I know has invested a considerable sum of money into their video card.

Collapse -
Glad you got no glare.
by nycboy0156 / December 17, 2005 7:42 PM PST
In reply to: lcd vs. crt. monitors

I've noticed on recent visits to the big box and circuit stores that there appears to be an avalanche of LCD screens claiming to be ''clearer'' or brighter when in fact they are just covered with a highly reflective plate of glass. It seems the industry has taken a giant step backwards. Glare has always been an issue with monitors!! Why would anyone sell a monitor without any antiglare filter and brag about it as if it is something to be desired??? What marketing idiots came up with this DUMB idea? I personally will not purchase any highly reflective screen whether it be LCD or CRT. They are not any clearer of brighter than an antiglare LCD. But like P.T. Barnum said; ''There's a sucker born every minute.''

Collapse -
LCD MONITOR or CRT
by retired790 / December 15, 2005 8:06 PM PST

I have both a CRT and an LCD both work fine the CRT is in a laeger location. When looking to put a computer onto a desk I found that a CRT was to large and would not fit. At this point I purshased a 17" LCD and that works as well as the CRT. If space is a problem then my vote would be an LCD.

Collapse -
lcd
by afmcorp / December 15, 2005 8:17 PM PST

i have 2 17 inch lcd monitors. i like them and would buy another. they came with my 2 dell's i just bought. the show a brighter screen and vibrant colors over my crt's which i have 6. and yes i would buy another. i like them!

Collapse -
LCD Monitors
by tardevil / December 15, 2005 8:18 PM PST

I have had a 17 inch Dell Ultrasharp LCD monitor for about 6 months for my office computer, and a 15 inch IBM LCD for my home computer for ~18 months. I have occasional periods of time, perhaps weeks, when my computer work is long and "intense". Typically, I am working on a computer every day... I am a University professor, academician, researcher, statistician, writer. The LCDs are wonderful with regard to eyestrain and general fatigue, MUCH better than with the CRTs. The ease with which the LCD can be rotated when working and consulting with students and collegues, along with the "small footprint" the LCD imposes upon the desk, are other significant advantages. Those are the truly significant advantages of an LCD for me. All in all, again for me, the LCD monitors have made my work MUCH less tiring, has definitely eliminated eyestrain, and generally has made my work easier.

Collapse -
College Professor?
by nycboy0156 / December 17, 2005 7:47 PM PST
In reply to: LCD Monitors

For a college professor your writing is surely lacking.

Collapse -
LCD vs CRT
by dumbone / December 15, 2005 8:19 PM PST

I bought a 15 inch lcd . Its called a superscan and I love it. I do not have hdtv but the picture most times sems like it. About the only negative is viewing angle and for the most part it is just fine and I will buy another in the future in a much larger size. This one was for the kitchen counter and is perfect of it.

Collapse -
LCD Monitor
by johe110 / December 15, 2005 8:30 PM PST

I have a Dell 20.1" wide-screen monitor and love it. I was skeptical at first because I do a lot of video editing and was concerned about the negatives I've heard about their ability to provide quality video. When I bought my new computer about a year ago, the 19" LCD was standard and I decided to upgrade for a very reasonable price to this monitor. I'm glad I did. I find myself actually watching my DVD movies on the thing and it performs beautifully. I do notice, however, the quality of image differs greatly depending on the software used to play the DVD. MS Media Center offers a rather poor picture while Nero Showtime has given me the best picture to date. The monitor is bright with much better contrast and color saturation than my old Sony Trinitron CRT. The monitor also starts up instantly and uses less power than the CRT. Of course it takes up much less room on the desktop as well. As a bonus, if you do a lot of work with long documents, you can rotate the monitor to minimize the amount of scrolling. I don't find this feature useful but some may. All in all, I can't imagine going back to a CRT and, in all probability, my next monitor will be at least a 24" LCD unless something better comes along before I'm ready to buy.

Collapse -
Silicon Graphic 1600Sw
by jboyd8 / December 15, 2005 8:45 PM PST

This was and still is an excellant LCD monitor, it was introduced some 5-10 years ago I believe. It still performs famously, I love it

Collapse -
To Buy LCD or not ??????
by ramlinwillie / December 15, 2005 8:57 PM PST

If I was to buy today I would buy a LCD 19 inch. The size of the monitor I think would be a personal thing. Some like 15 inch Monitors. The important thing I think would be the quality .I am 67 years old and have been buying for a long time. Not always the most costly is the best. When I buy anything I read up on it as much as I can and usally pick one in the middle. I am not a computer (Tekno Nerd ).So all the help I can get I am Greatful. With so many different opions out there it is hard to make your mind up. It also is to costly to experemnt. That is why C/net is a great help to guys like us. Used to be all information on computers was for the Comuter Friendly, which really they meant Super Smart. Well... I'm glad to see that the computer industry has found that there are a lot of people out here that have a hard time learning it all....I thank you ......Happy Trails

Collapse -
will you buy a LCD monitor
by sewnsew / December 15, 2005 9:20 PM PST

I purchased one when my huge 19 View Sonic hit the dust. Luckily it was still under warranty so I didn't have to spend a whole bunch of money. I got a 15 inch, wish I had gone larger. But what I love about the thing is I could carry this monitor down to the lower level of our home where I have my computer all alone. I can lift it if need be. I am a 73 year old woman and most times need help with lifting my electronics. Not this screen. When my other View Sonic goes I am going to replace with a 17 or perhaps 19 depending on cost at the time.

Collapse -
Will it work with an older 750 MHz processor?
by pc-healer / December 15, 2005 9:23 PM PST

I recently bought a new Computer station.
When I was done putting it together, I realized that the monitor shelf was designed to accomodate only flat panes or LCD. So I'm working with the Old CRT that's placed way over to the right. My neck is getting kinks in it from rubber necking to the right all day.
So, I want to replace it with an LCD 19", but I don't know if my video card will accept the plug from the new type of monitor. Are the LCD data cables the same amount of pins as the CRT's?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.