The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Will you be moving to a dual-core processor soon?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / January 24, 2006 6:48 AM PST

Will you be moving to a dual-core processor soon?

Yes (Why and which one?)
No (What's holding you back?)
Maybe (Why or why not?)
I already have (Which one?)
I don't know what you are talking about

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will you be moving to a dual-core processor soon?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will you be moving to a dual-core processor soon?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by gaz42 / January 24, 2006 10:22 AM PST

Having a dual Opteron computer I cannot see any need for a dual core, even my motherboard could take it. As long as we run Windows, we have the limits of Windows and the day to day work cannot be made faster.

Collapse -
by cgilmo78 / January 24, 2006 10:52 PM PST
In reply to: ENOUGH

Although windows is a bottle neck, do not discount the value of a dual core cpu. At the moment there are not many applications that fully take advantage of a DC CPU. However as the sales of this breed of processor continue to climb, it is a certianty that software developers will jump on board with this fad. When software is designed to work with dual core, you will notice a signifigant performance increase in these applications.

Collapse -
No Point for Enough
by AvisoTrader / February 2, 2006 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: ENOUGH

If you have dual processors then you wouldn't need dual core. Right now the only people who can really take advantage of either dual processor or dual core are those running multiple applications that require a lot of crunch.

Collapse -
ok so that means 90% of computer users need dual core (n/t)
by cgilmo78 / February 2, 2006 10:25 PM PST
In reply to: No Point for Enough

no text

Collapse -
Yep - Macbook Pro!
by twyrick / January 24, 2006 10:48 AM PST

I'm in the process of selling off some of my older computer hardware to save up for a Macbook Pro. The Intel "core duo" looks like a winner - and in a machine that can run OS X and potentially also Windows sounds like the way to go!

Collapse -
Me too!!!
by yiwakawa / January 24, 2006 12:16 PM PST
In reply to: Yep - Macbook Pro!

I am getting the MacBook PRO. I got the 12" PowerBook and love it!
This is going to be great!

Collapse -
iMac Core Duo
by redison / January 31, 2006 3:18 PM PST
In reply to: Yep - Macbook Pro!

Just picked up the 20" iMac Core Duo, and man does it rock on the universal apps!! Goodbye windows!!

Collapse -
AMD all the way
by Whit804 / January 24, 2006 10:51 AM PST

I have been looking at the dual core proc's and compairing both AMD and Intel. I cannot find a reason to switch back to the Intel line. AMD still has them beat in most categories. Although there is not a lot of programs that take advantage of dual cores right now, the multi-tasking capability is enough for me. I have been known to run 3-4 app's regularly, and up to 7 at times. Any help I can get is welcomed and AMD is still #1 in my book.

Collapse -
I like to stay behind the bell curve
by Seacoaster / January 24, 2006 10:57 AM PST
In reply to: AMD all the way

The fact remains that technology hardware gets very pricey along the cutting edge.
The advantages seem to be in bragging rights as in real use.
Besides, we're still handcuffed to WINDOWS

I got my eye on a comfy notebook currently with a maxxed out price tag. It will be fine as soon as it takes second seat.

Collapse -
It may be worth it
by Whit804 / January 24, 2006 11:20 AM PST

I understand staying behind the curve but i am looking into upgrading my PC. When doing so, i look into the newest thch and keep in mind cost. The cost for a ''low end'' dual core should be worth it right now since it is becoming cheeper to upgrade memory and HDD's.

Collapse -
by stragger / January 24, 2006 7:39 PM PST

I would not take anything you say seriously since you obviously don't even knwo what a bell curve is and still have the the lack of sense to use the term.

Collapse -
by tdsmith / January 24, 2006 11:12 AM PST

That is my main reason for holding off on the dual processor issue. There are not enough applications available that take advantage of the new chips. ANd until there is a wave of interest, there will not be many mainstream applications moving to that CPU. Most of the people in and out of computers claim that its time has not come, and there are some speed and cooling issues that need to be overcome before the next leap in CPU's can take place. I personally use AMD myself, and have found it very consistent at this point.

Collapse -
Upgrading now
by Whit804 / January 24, 2006 11:23 AM PST
In reply to: Applications

I will be upgrading soon, so why not get the best I can afford? If I get the dual core, I wont need to upgrade a year from now and can put that $$ towards more memory or adding a better vid card or HDD.

Collapse -
Roy says lol
by Roy312 / January 24, 2006 1:33 PM PST
In reply to: Upgrading now

I have had my dual core Dell for 3 months and it has been down 2 months..Nothing works like they claimed..or was advertized..Man I got it stuck to me..
My own fault for not doing my research on these dell dual core prapriatory computers...They desighn them to brek and the only way to fix them is through them..
Theres just enough differances in the motherboards that only thier special desighned parts that they order from other companys only work on Dells..As simple as power supplys..If you don't use a dell designed supply it will buldge the capasitators on the on/off switch relay board...This comes straight from a Dells own tech..oops giving up too much info...

Collapse -
then dont buy a dell
by cgilmo78 / January 24, 2006 11:01 PM PST
In reply to: Roy says lol

if you are not willing to use dell parts, then do not use a dell computer. Dell's arent ment to be customised by the end user (although they can be)

You sound like a knowledgeable guy, why not order your components and build a dual core system from scratch? Having done so myself, i feel comfortable in saying that you will not regret it.

Collapse -
Rookie needs help
by drfrank / January 26, 2006 2:32 AM PST
In reply to: then dont buy a dell

I would love to build my own computer but I don't know where to start in terms of directions. I am technically competant, eg, I make my living as a consultant in die attach processes all over the world, but I have never had time to build a computer. Can anyone give me some guidance? Money is no object, I just want the latest and best.

Collapse -
i love to help
by cgilmo78 / January 26, 2006 5:45 AM PST
In reply to: Rookie needs help

feel free to email me at or an instant message (AIM) to cgilmo78

im a professional system builder, and i like helping people learn how to build.

Collapse -
by mrkillerman / January 25, 2006 9:47 AM PST
In reply to: Roy says lol

They are trying to stuff thier pockests with as much loot as possible and are not bothered by how they work or if you the owner can get them to work if they break.

Collapse -
agree and disagree
by cgilmo78 / January 24, 2006 10:59 PM PST
In reply to: Applications

I agree with you that there are not many applications out there that support dual core. And that this hinders the performance increase of the chips. But i do not see this as something that software developers will ignore. The performance increase is too great for developers of high end performance applications to ignore, much less developers of MMORPG's and other computer games. Software developers go where the money is, and looking at the sales of AMD's x2 939 chip, there is a market for dual core applications.

Collapse -
by SgtSavage / January 24, 2006 12:26 PM PST

Why pay the Extra when it doesn't keep up? It is that simple.

Collapse -
AMD, the current leader in dual core
by cgilmo78 / January 24, 2006 10:55 PM PST

The combination of the 939 socket amd cpu and the dual core (x2) technology makes the AMD line of dual core chips unbeatable at this time.

the 3800+ x2 is one of the best bargins in the world of desktop CPU's

Collapse -
Listen TO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by Mpftmead / January 25, 2006 2:34 AM PST

I just bought not one but two AMD X2 Systems from HP and let me tell you my friend you will not be dissapointed! Like you, I almost ALWAYS have more than a few things running at the same time and I needed something that waould do it fast and still have none to a little lag in switching in between them and so far I CANNOT slow both of these Beautifull beasts down except... for the integrated graphics (which you get with just about any PC today) and the fact that it does not have a TV tuner (upgradeable) and remote (upgradeable) so what I did was bought a Dell Angel Dual TV tuner off ebay for $80 and in the next few months I expect to buy a PCIe Graphics card and a Media center remote control off ebay for $35 and later on get another gig of ram!

My Advice: Pick one of these bad boys up

You can't go wrong!!!!!!

Collapse -
AMD vs Intel
by rozpalmblac / January 24, 2006 10:51 AM PST

AMD by far is a better and more reliable processor. At work we use Dell with intel processors and I must say as an IS support person, intel processors are not very reliable!! Clearly by comparison with computers at work and at home AMD is the champ!

Collapse -
I agree
by Whit804 / January 24, 2006 11:12 AM PST
In reply to: AMD vs Intel

I also work in IT. We have both AMD and Intel procs and i have found AMD have been more reliable than Intel most for the time. I own an AMD machine and have never been happier.

Collapse -
amd fan
by top_flight_steelers / January 24, 2006 2:45 PM PST
In reply to: AMD vs Intel

I can't really aford to jump to the 64 bit system right now and I really belive that later this year we will see some games that can take advantage of the 64 bit cpu power. but for at least awile I can wiat for the cost to come down and bugs to get work out. but I have both 32 bit intel and Amd. (AMD ROCKS)

Collapse -
I'm getting the new Mac Book Pro
by russg73 / January 24, 2006 10:55 AM PST

Can't wait to get my new Mac Book Pro with the new intel chip in it. I got to work on one at MacWorld and it rocks. Very fast.

Collapse -
Intel dual core in Sony RA series
by healyp / January 24, 2006 11:02 AM PST

I have had many problems with this computer but the processor has not been one of them. The trouble I have is keeping the video clean to DVD. I use Adobe Premier Pro 1.5.

Collapse -
Yup - once the turion dual core is out
by c1utch / January 24, 2006 11:07 AM PST

Why settle for a 64 bit single core proc or a 32 bit dual core?

The Turion, 64bit dual-core mobile chip will be in the laptop I buy.

Collapse -
Me too.
by EJRay / January 24, 2006 8:50 PM PST

I work at Intel and I know the Turion will rock. I need to update my notebook but I'll wait.

Collapse -
by AvisoTrader / February 2, 2006 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: Me too.

Not even Intels employees are loyal -- hehe. Wise man.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.