The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Will you be installing Windows Vista?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / January 30, 2007 8:24 AM PST

Will you be installing Windows Vista on your system this year?

I'm already using it (How do you like it?)
After it's been out for a few months. (How long will you wait?)
No way! (Why not?)
I will buy a new system with it already installed.
I don't even have XP yet!
I'm on a Mac and will never go to the dark side.
Don't know yet.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will you be installing Windows Vista?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will you be installing Windows Vista?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No Vista for us, nor Office 2007
by bhaft / January 30, 2007 12:37 PM PST

We downloaded the 6 Fedora ISO's today and are seriously considering moving to Linux for our company.

Hardware and software compatibility, costs and the custom software we use to run our company are the main reason we are looking for a stable reliable operating system, other than Windows.

Wish DEC and OpenVMS were still an option.

Collapse -
No Vista for us
by Larry Warner / January 30, 2007 12:48 PM PST

We are well satisfied with XP Pro and are also still using Win 98 2nd edition which we have great use for. If we get Vista it won't be for at least five years. We don't like spending money just because something new came out.

Collapse -
No Vista for the present
by lucet / January 30, 2007 6:10 PM PST
In reply to: No Vista for us

Greed has blinded Microsoft's Marketing Dept. Following an embarassing two years of XP "patches" etc; why would a rational customer pay $200.+ for a "new" version that offers LESS security & features than their present "patched" XP ??? When I purchase a new computer and Vista Prem is installed, then and only then will I consider it.

Collapse -
No Vista for the present moment.
by Ferdron / January 30, 2007 10:01 PM PST

I totally agree with you.
Remember when XP was released, it was mentioned that it was a safest oparating system.Two, three months later it was hacked.
Microsoft had to create a security patch and later there were more security patches created.I still don't know how many patches does XP have.I will wait at least one year before I upgrade to Vista.

Collapse -
Not Yet
by charlie7290 / February 1, 2007 6:23 AM PST

Well I agree,that its not much difference,just a bit tarted up.
So i wouldnt pay $200 for it .
They can pay me if they want to have it.
I,ll stick to my XP media Ed. for the moment.

Collapse -
I agree
by blackshirt / November 22, 2007 2:49 PM PST

Win XP, Like 2000 and 98 all had early problems until Microsoft came up with the appropriate patches to correct the problems. I feel comfortable with Win XP Pro for now and won't upgrade to Vista until all of us feel that it would be the right move.

Collapse -
No XP for me!
by pixelsmith / November 22, 2007 10:49 PM PST
In reply to: I agree

I beta tested Win2k and XP is really what Win2k was supposed to be. Vista? Why? What does it really have to offer me that XP doesn't? I just don't see it. The drivers don't exist for my hardware. I went through all that with Win2k and XP, plus all the service packs too! I was an early adopter of NT4 and it was well worth the trouble. But I see no reason to spend money to upgrade when something isn't broken. Offer me something real and of value Microsoft and I'll consider it. Work with the hardware vendors (the small ones too) to have their drivers ready when you launch a new OS and perhaps you'll have my interest. The promise of no reboots when patches were applied to Win2k was never fulfilled. Too many broken promises and too much hype leave me uninterested in a product I find no need for.

Collapse -
by joslamarche / November 24, 2007 6:45 AM PST

My new computer came with Windows Vista, I did not like it and after a few weeks I re-installed Windows XP

Jos. Lamarche

Collapse -
Microsoft should give us the next 3 versions
by digiDave / January 31, 2007 12:05 AM PST

If I got Vista & the next few upgrades free, I still wouldn't have my money's worth from Microsoft. We've paid too much already for earlier versions. They keep promising great things & deliver shoddy product, full of bad ideas & bad programming. Not enough improvements to entice me into something that'll undoubtedly be loaded with glitches (fool me once....). And, why be forced into further hardware upgrades to take advantage of minimal OS improvements? Microsoft stopped putting out good product when they introduced the first Windows OS; they only put out good DOS because they were pressed to keep up by competing OS. And, remember, Windows wasn't an original idea either(think Mac).

Collapse -
digiDave speaks for me
by rccoffee / January 31, 2007 4:44 AM PST

I have been through Win 95, 98 and XP/Home. I took one look at Win Me and and didn't bite. When I wanted to replace my two old Win 95/98 computers I went to Mac. I bought Adobe Photoshop Elements and Office 2004 for Mac. I needed more robust programs than i-Photo and Apple Works provide. I'll never use Garage Band but so what? What an eye-opener. The Mac is quality and just works. Apple Care is terrific. The only problem was that my genealogy program (Family Tree Maker) is for PCs only so, I bought a new desktop running Win XP/Home just for this. Win XP is much better than 95/98 and I'm pleased with it. I download updates for the Mac also but they are mostly complete changes to i-Tunes for all the i-Pods which I don't have or want and Quick Time which I don't use. MS seems to have an avalanche of updates that never seem to end and some patches are way late in arriving.

If I upgraded the video card, I could run Vista Ultimate. But, knowing how MS throws out junk OSs that aren't safe to use for years, I decided to pass on Vista for as long as possible. Perhaps forever. My Mac is my workhorse and I can always use the XP computer off-line for genealogy if worse comes to worse and transfer the new information from the Mac to the XP.

"A fool and his money are soon parted" as the people who upgrade(?) to any Vista product will soon find out. It's not ready for primetime.

Collapse -
I did the exact same thing as digidave.
by rccoffee / November 22, 2007 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: digiDave speaks for me

I could have written the note from digidave.

I had a Win 95, Win 98 and bought a Mac with Adobe Photoshop Elements and Office 2004 for Mac.

Because of my Family Tree Maker not available for the Mac platform, I bought a Win XP/Home just for it.

The Mac is a truly remarkable and quality machine. I needed a more robust program thatn Apple Works and i-Photo hence the purchase of Adobe and Microsoft software for Mac.

I just installed OS X-Leopard and it is fantastic. There were a couple of glitches and a couple of new 3-rd party software programs that I had to replace which are free. But, nothing like the nightmare of changing OSes from MS. Apple should have held off releasing Leopard or should have given the code out sooner to developers. But, this is being fixed by Apple and others very quickly.

Collapse -
Just another fool.
by twstdskll / November 22, 2007 9:24 AM PST
In reply to: digiDave speaks for me

Well this fool parted with his money and is well satisfied. I have been using Vista since March '07 and couldn't be happier with it. I have virtually no problems with the OS. The only driver I am having a problem getting is a Linksys internal wireless card driver for 64bit Vista. That is not a Microsoft issue.
I am on an HP a1130n with an additional 1gig of ram I purchased for $30, an x700pro ATI Radeon graphics card (that I want to upgrade for the new games coming out, not because the OS requires it), and I stepped up to an 64X2 processor a month ago. The system is bone stock otherwise.
No spyware, viruses, adware, etc...using AVG, spybot s&d, adaware, spywareblaster. None of my software has conflicted with Vista and I go EVERYWHERE on the web. I am not sure what issues people are having. Either I am extremely lucky or Vista is an excellent upgrade from XP.

Collapse -
i agree
by alice_b0wie / November 22, 2007 11:13 PM PST
In reply to: Just another fool.

i've tried a lot of OS. they all suck, they all have problems. i've been using vista home premium for 8 months. the only thing i changed was my linksys router to an N. NOTHING HAS FAILED TO WORK! if vista isn't working for someone, it's not vista! it's either you or your software. if you don't know what you're doing, why come on here and complain? most people who bad mouth vista have never tried it, have never took a few hours to figure it out, or are just going along with the popular thing to say. it only took me one evening to figure out how vista works. it wasn't difficult to figure out what to disable or adjust. most people who badmouth vista are same ones who want everything for free. CHEAP PEOPLE MAKE ME PUKE! then they give good programs bad ratings because they're too cheap to pay for it. i would never go back to using xp, it looks and runs so junky compaired to vista. it's like moving from the rich part of town to the trailor park. the only thing worst than xp is vista home basic.
and twstdskll, vista is an excellant upgrade. FOR SMART PEOPLE! LOL

Collapse -
by llcarothers / November 22, 2007 11:20 PM PST

I was just given a download available at Linksys called "Linksys Easy Link". I was told this will walk me thru any problem I may have, link any of my wireless equiptment to the router. So - if you want to give it a try go to the Linksys home page and take a look - it may help, I know the Linksys staff is NOT very helpful. I'll be trying it tomorrow. Oh how I hope it works with my xbox 360!

Collapse -
by dellflo45 / November 22, 2007 11:24 PM PST

I bought win vista from dell and installed it I had all kinds of problems with it so i sent it back to dell and got a refund, and after studing all the problems other people had I found a way to fix all the problems with vista. then i saw and bought vista ultimate on e-bay for half the price, the full verson and installed it on my dell system, now I can't live without it.before i would you like to know what i did to fix vista? sure you do.
I partention my hard drive into two drives that way i can keep my xp and installed vista (just in case.) it works very well, i can play all my games and watch tv with win xp, and use the vista for the office stuff. and soon i should be able to remove xp alltogether just as soon as i get a better tv tuner card that vista likes.
i really love this vista that just the other day i put on the 64 bit verson on and i can't find any problems at all.
i have read that people had speed problems with vista, I have the dual core prosesor and i bought a TB. hard drive to handle all the saved data. I for one is very happy with vista, i wish i had done this sooner.

Collapse -
Windows Vista
by elvis19777 / November 22, 2007 11:48 PM PST
In reply to: vista

I have Vista. Because it came install. Nothing to write home about. To me, XP was much better for me, IE7 is, well, a piece of junk.

Collapse -
VISTA v XP v 98 ???
by dmcar88233 / November 22, 2007 11:49 PM PST
In reply to: vista

I reasently had a complete computer failure/lock-up on my Dell laptop, using their tech support they talked me through a complete computer setup and re-installation, on following their instructions I got a message on my screen "Installing WINDOWS 98" I told the technician this and he said yes that is correct, I said but my operating system is WINDOWS XP, he said yes, it is, but XP is WINDOWS 98 with a fancy front end on it to make it look better. I asked about VISTA and he said the same but with a fancier front end to enhance the usage of dual processing. Both XP & VISTA are 99.5% WINDOWS 98 with new front ends to supposably make it easier.

Collapse -
Actually, your EXTREMELY lucky.
by TechieAJ / November 23, 2007 12:50 AM PST

Vista runs so slow, with any program, most slowly with games!! its system runs that way becuase it was made not to crash. it is not easy to crash vista. (you probably could if you really wanted to!) my mom bought a sony VAIO with windos vista, 1.6 dual core, 2GB of ram. it still takes 1 min to start up. and about 10 sec to load small programs. OH AND DONT GET ME STARTED WITH TRYING TO HOOK UP PRINTERS. me and every computer tech i know, absolutly hates vista. it is much harder to fix simple problems with it. DO YOURSLEF A FAVOR GET XP or if ur relly gung ho on getting a new OS get a Mac. but trust me Macs are in no way any easier to learn than vista.

Collapse -
Visa runs too slow at start up
by nighthawk161 / November 24, 2007 8:26 AM PST

If you go to your system start up and remove some of the programs that start up when you boot your computer, it will boot faster. some programs install themselves in your start up system when you install it. You can remove them from starting when you boot up. This way the computer will run faster on boot up.

Collapse -
(NT) you are lucky
by tom umholtz / November 23, 2007 7:56 AM PST
Collapse -
Upgrading to Vista
by lois228lois / November 27, 2007 8:48 AM PST

If you send word documents from the new vista office, and they don't have the same application, then they won't be able to open it. You would have to copy original document and past it into notepad to send it. I also have had the same problem when using macintosh-apple word documents. I now work from a Mac OS X.4.7-"Tiger" and make all documents in "text edit" and when I want to send contents I copy and paste the text into email. If you use photos-
Adobe Acrabat Pro documents can be read, but
keep small if you don't have wide band internet connection.

Collapse -
Winword 2007
by Artemis Faust / December 2, 2007 4:43 AM PST
In reply to: Upgrading to Vista

Lois, all you have to do is save the file in the Win 2003 compatibility mode. I have 2007 on both my laptops, but 2000, on my desktop, and I email text onto my desktop and view it on word all the time.

Collapse -
About Vista
by radartech / November 22, 2007 9:07 PM PST

I agree with digidave. I purchased a new laptop with Vista already installed. BIG mistake. Nothing but misery. Wouldn't accept software for printer and various other hardware. I finally ended up dumping Vista and installing XP. Should have stuck with XP to begin with. They can keep Vista.......Radartech

Collapse -
dumped my vista
by tom umholtz / November 22, 2007 10:36 PM PST
In reply to: About Vista

Yes, I bought a Dell with Vista. Didn't want to buy it that way but that was all they would let me do at the time. Said they were not installing XP any more. So I went ahead and bought it. Bad move. Hated every minute of it. So many functions were automated beyond my control. So many redundancies that three or four actions seemed to be required before anything actually happened. New names unnecessarily substituted for old functions. "Improvements" that are really just complications. Just one thing after another. For several months.

Then I saw a Dell advertisement offering XP! Maybe there was a new company policy. Called them about it but was told the only thing I could do was send my unit back to them and they would install XP but charge me for doing so. Decided not to spend the extra money and get serious about learning Vista.

But the worst was still to come. The Windows Photo Gallery that came with Vista destroyed (not lost but destroyed) two big batches of our most important family photos. Hours and hours with the Dell "help" people and $ and $ for a recovery program netted us nothing. Since managing our photos is the second most important function of my computer use (email is number 1) it was clear that I would never be able to trust Vista again.

Went back to Dell again. Thinking that they had bamboozled me with their refusal to sell me a computer with XP in the first place, I tried to get them to do something about the problem I was having. Maybe give ma a free copy of XP or something like that. The only thing they would do for me is suggest I get a cheap copy on eBay and have "a knowledgeable friend or relative" install it for me.

Well, I was about to make a switch to Mac, in spite of the huge extra cost. But then I found a local shop that was able to install XP for a reasonable price. Did it. Couldn't be happier. Except with Dell. This E521 will certainly be my last purchase from them.

Collapse -
No Vista For a long while
by lyrics36 / January 31, 2007 1:08 AM PST

Every New Operating System from Microsoft always has too many hiccups with compatability and migrating programs and settings over. Not to mention instability with some hardware or firmware settings. Something is always lost!

Since this seems to be almost all cosmetic with some security enhancements in the "Professional Installation" I will wait until 2 things occur:

1. The "bugs" have been worked out and we are in at least ver 3 or so of VISTA. Otherwise there will be too many programs that nobody has checked enough installations of for a smooth migration. AND

2. The Programs we need as a Company and I need as an Individual either are not available in XP or will not perform the functions I / we require in the XP edition. (This usually seems to be 18 - 24 months.

Otherwise, VISTA at this point is "basically show and not go"

Collapse -
Vista Nightmare?
by PumaSpirit / January 31, 2007 2:23 AM PST

MS may be dreaming of big profits while giving us nightmares in the security department. I am with most of you. No Vista for me. I shall buy a new laptop with XP Pro before Vista floods the market. My pc is recent and will keep the same.

I feel we can always trust MS to look for a tidy profit, but not to give us a quality, problem free Operating System. Beats me why anyone would pay 200 bucks, just to add to the problems we already have.

As for "the look"... It doesn't have to be theirs. Nice Themes can be downloaded from the net at much less cost (even for free), if that is a consideration.

Collapse -
Tried It And Didn't Like It - Back to XP For Me
by kazual13 / November 22, 2007 2:15 AM PST
In reply to: Vista Nightmare?

Been there...done that. Tried Vista for three months and eventhough a I found it a wee bit easier to navigate, it's not worth the amount of memory it sucks. My wife has a HP laptop where it was preinstalled. I found a trusted computer repair shop here in Puebla, Mexico which switched me back to XP with a few goodies as Cyber Link, Nero, Winamp, and Kapersky, to name a few. What a difference!!!! I hope Microsoft goes down like a lead balloon for their Billion$ mistake in Vista. Maybe their stranglehold of the OP market's days are over. And yes, I could confirm, Vista WAS a nightmare. Would not recommend it to my worst enemy. Kazual13

Collapse -
by reader509 / November 21, 2007 6:09 PM PST

I'm not about to switch my fully functional (ok...semi-functional) XP to some new Windows b.s. that's not even fully developed in, why would I switch when what I use now (XP Media Edition) does all I need it to? Sounds ridiculous to me. I'll stick with familiarity...which breeds content. Thank you.

Collapse -
by bignightian / November 22, 2007 7:26 PM PST
In reply to: Agreed...

Actually, familiarity breeds contempt! Though I am also contented.

Collapse -
New Vista
by pandhlr / November 22, 2007 7:36 PM PST
In reply to: Agreed...

I am using XP on laptop and XP Pro on the PC, neither work to my satisfaction what chance have we with Vista, Microsoft are to greedy and should get XP working to customers satisfaction instead of expecting them to fork out for Vista, not everyone has deep pockets!.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.