The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Will you be a consumer of this waterproof technology?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / February 27, 2012 8:15 AM PST

To give you some context to this poll discussion, check out this blog:
Have no fear later this year if your phone drops in the drink

Will you be a consumer of this waterproof technology?

-- Yes (Where would you use it?)
-- Maybe. (What would hold you back?)
-- No (Why not?)
-- Depends on the cost.
-- Let me see the results first.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will you be a consumer of this waterproof technology?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will you be a consumer of this waterproof technology?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
no to buying waterproof technology
by Korobij / February 28, 2012 1:39 AM PST

i'm not so tied to technology that i need to take my devices everywhere. there is life OUTSIDE the net, text, social media, etc.

Collapse -
So what about your camera or laptop or other things...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / February 28, 2012 7:40 AM PST

that can be water proofed, we aren't just talking about phones here.

-Lee

Collapse -
Waterproof Technology
by nofco / February 28, 2012 1:42 AM PST

I would welcome any effective and not overly expensive technology that would enable me to protect such items as my smartphone, iPad, cameras and similar portable items.

where can one get more information about the product/system?

Niall, Ireland

Collapse -
The links are in the blog...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / February 28, 2012 7:41 AM PST
In reply to: Waterproof Technology
Collapse -
YES
by marikavs / February 28, 2012 2:17 AM PST

I would have voted a resounding Yes, except... when I thought about it, I really would have to know the cost first.
When visiting my brother last year I kept my phone next to the bed, but that's also where I kept a glass of water. You can guess the rest. My phone was evidently taking a bath all night long! Fortunately it dried out rather well on its own when I took it apart, but only worked sometimes, and kind of strangely at that. My brother to the rescue. He took me to a place where they have experience fixing drowned phones. It wasn't cheap, but he paid for it! (Thank you, brother.) It has worked flawlessly ever since, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't welcome a way to water proof it in the first place.

Collapse -
Depends
by liguorid / February 28, 2012 2:37 AM PST

I'm skeptical this is a major breakthrough, and that the benefits will justify the cost. I'm used to the reality that total immersion will probably ruin electronics--been true for almost 100 years. When I take a camera kayaking I go for a cheap one (which an immersible one probably wouldn't be).

However, I did have one major regret, with an electronic car key. I had a very scary moment where it did not look like I'd be able to disarm the car security system and drive home, before I found the spare. These are hideously overpriced to start with, and have to be programmed by the dealer. I don't imagine you'd notice the increase in cost if they were waterproofed.

Collapse -
It happened to me too...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / February 28, 2012 7:44 AM PST
In reply to: Depends

luckily for me, my car security system has an alarm override button or else I would've been stuck far from home to get the spare.

I would waterproof my alarm key fobs if they weren't waterproof.

Thanks for the reminder!
-Lee

Collapse -
All of the above
by Bob_Meyer / February 28, 2012 2:53 AM PST

Consumer electronics are absolutely expensive while being relatively cheap at the same time. It's a small price to pay for the utility, access, mobility, etc., but when you break one, it's a big financial impact, whether you're talking about smart phones, tablets or laptops, cameras, music players, etc. I've stepped on smart phones, replaced my son's phone when it got run over by a forklift and tried to resuscitate my wife's phone when she washed it by accident.

Waterproofing is like GorillaGlass, it's good to have, but it won't make a bad device better. So for me, the bottom line is the device I want/need to get. I'll pay a premium for GorillaGlass or waterproofing, or a better screen or more memory if the device is what I want/need to buy. I won't buy a device I don't want just because it's waterproof.

Bob Meyer

Collapse -
Waterproof technology
by john343 / February 28, 2012 3:30 AM PST

Are you going diving with it? Why make them waterproof? I don't own a cell phone and never will. I've got along for 70+ years without one and in my view they are nothing but trouble. Cell phones have caused a lot of deaths.

Collapse -
No, I don't bathe
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 28, 2012 4:16 AM PST

Er, I mean, I don't take any mobile phones into the bathroom with me. Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Motorola should get a contract with one of these guys
by tomski100 / February 28, 2012 4:24 AM PST

I love my Motorola Droid X, but I have been coveting their new Droid Razr with Kevlar, I used to be in manufacturing and one day hope to be again, either way I spend time gardening, I live on a lake in Michigan, I would love to have a droid that could safely go kayaking, let me relax while I read in the bathtub, or allow me to answer the phone when I am doing dishes. Seriously, I am so attached to my Droid and its various apps that I wear it on a tether, either around my neck, attached to my jacket pocket, or my purse if I am carrying the darn thing, so water proofing or even just water-repelling is a feature that is long over due. Before I went smartphone I had one of those Alltel/Nextel Motorola phones that were designed for laborers. The next star I see I am wishing for a Motorola Droid Razr with Kevlar and Waterproofing.

Collapse -
Not unless it's a cheap feature
by Crash2100 / February 28, 2012 8:06 AM PST

I can understand wanting waterproof stuff for the rain or wanting to listen to music or something while you're in the shower, but do people really have to talk while they're in the shower? I think that's a little ridiculous, and gross.

Collapse -
Probably Not...
by l8rb / February 28, 2012 10:19 AM PST

Firstly, I spent FIVE years with a Samsung clamshell with the red dot turned red after the first week! I am one of those people who create a 'personal rainstorm' just walking across the street in clear 40 degree weather. Add to that working in attics in Texas summers, and I guess I had a 'miracle' phone. The ONE time it quit working was when I got caught on a roof in a drenching storm with four bolts left to tighten...2 hours on the defroster in the truck and all was hunky-dory! I just don't believe the hype.

Secondly, when I acquired the HTC Inspire 4G I'm using now, I made sure (BEFORE I signed) to READ the warranty and what it covered for the measly monthly pittance they charge...it's covered. I take --very-- good care of my tools, and this is just another tool. Albeit a tool that will cost me $300-500 to replace IF I don't !

I'm not saying accidents can't happen, that's what I pay the insurance for, but I don't take my phone for granted!!!!

Collapse -
What's The Hype About
by JohnBoy1012 / February 28, 2012 2:15 PM PST

Good lord what is this "new waterproof technology" hype about, 40 years ago I could throw my Timex into the pool, get it a week later and it would still be ticking (I suppose most of you don't equate watches with ticking though). You people seem to get all wound up about the silliest things. Why would anyone in their right mind be texting in the shower anyway? What is the world coming to, a lot of zombie people who can't even put their swell-phones down to take a shower or go to the toilet?

Collapse -
Maybe, maybe not
by mishal218 / February 28, 2012 11:16 PM PST

it will depend on the cost....if it cost as much as the phone....no....half as much as the phone?? I don't know. I have dropped mine in a puddle and it had to be replaced. I have fallen on my butt while it was in my back pocket, and it had to be replaced, I have done nothing and it had to be replaced....hmmmm maybe I just need to keep it in a safe....darn things

Collapse -
Really?
by porsche10x / March 1, 2012 2:10 AM PST

Spoken like someone who has never had a toddler dunk his or her phone in the toilet.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.