Tablets forum

Will there ever be a tablet that is not an perfect mirror?

by blla17542i / October 31, 2012 6:20 PM PDT

I just don't get it, with all the competition in the tablet market, why nobody tries such an obvious and much needed improvement? (except maybe on very few and expansive models)

It's really disappointing ,I wanted a tablet forever and waited for one with good screen (a screen you can only use when the blinds are shut , and always have to adjust the angle you are holding it to avoid glare is just not a good a screen - No matter how many pixels it has or how great and accurate the colors) until I finally gave up and bought a notebook instead. And it looks like my next computer is going to be a notebook too ....

Are there any rumors or announcements about upcoming tablets with a non reflective screen?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will there ever be a tablet that is not an perfect mirror?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will there ever be a tablet that is not an perfect mirror?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
This one is well discussed and guessing you missed it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2012 2:42 AM PDT

The simple issue is optics. I don't want to upset you but there is no glare proof or non reflective screens. There are anti glare and reduced reflections but so far all the technology fails to meet that "non-reflective" spec some are looking for.

But all this has been hashed out so let's boil it all down to one simple why. Ready?

If you have a display and you need to cut reflections you need to reduce the gloss of the top layer. But by doing that you lose clarity of the display.

And there it is. A trade off of clarity to reflections. Reduce the glare and your reviews slam you on the clarity. Have a sharp display and your reviews complain of reflections.

Now you know.

Collapse -
You guessed wrong.
by blla17542i / November 4, 2012 2:41 PM PST

It's not a trade off for clarity, the reflected light washes out the display , reducing the clarity.

A high quality filter will not reduce clarity(whatever that is...) in way that will actually reduce consumer satisfaction (there are some great non-reflective screens, so they are not impossible to make ).

Tablets are ridiculously reflective, and this reduce the quality significantly. It's not like manufactures made a" trade off "and decided to make a slightly reflective screens because they didn't wanted to cut saturation (is that what you meant by "clarity"?). Most of the manufactures didn't use any coating or treatment to reduce reflection.

The reason for reflective screens is probably marketing or reduced costs.
You write as if they made a reasonable trade- off that some consumers may like and others wont. The more likely explanation is that they decided not to use any filter in order to cut costs- and it was probably a good decision at the time, but now that the market is more competitive it doesn't seem like a good decision.

For one, it will increase overall quality and usability , or at least appeal to a new market, and to consumers that right now have no alternative. So a non-reflective tablet would have less competition .
Second it would allow using lower brightens, and that would increase battery life which would defiantly give the tablet an edge (all manufactures are trying to increase battery life, why not go for the obvious solution?).

But I guess manufactures are not looking for an edge over other tablets, they are too busy copying apple. And apple are busy just being apple....

And no, I don't know because you didn't answer my question....

Collapse -
Glad you showed your glare.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2012 2:47 AM PST
In reply to: You guessed wrong.

I'm an electronics designer and along the way have worked with displays such as this and my explanation is a boiled down version.

There are OLEDs and more that help but glare proof, no-glare as I've seen them always look a little foggy. These were used in the F-16 cockpit and as you can imagine were glare proof. Unusable for consumer pads, but it's good to have background on such work.

-> Now let's say you are right. Why didn't you share a model I could go look at this non-reflective screen?

So far I've been able to get a reflection off all of them.

Collapse -
Finally someone to ask the right questions
by Gogol_Bordello / November 29, 2013 6:42 PM PST

I totally agree with blla17542i and because she/he didn't continue I am:

- Yes, there are plenty of non-reflective (close to 0%) screens in eBook readers with e-ink technology.
Wait, I know the refresh is much slower and they produce only black & white on large scales, but that's another issue: some companies (I can't recall right now) presented black-white & red e-ink screens a few years ago (3 or 4 years), and 1 or 2 years ago e-ink displays with many colors and hues - of course only prototypes.

So, after the unanswered right questions of blla17542i
, some possibly unanswered next questions to ask are:

- is the e-ink technology the only path to the non-reflective tablet?
- what happened since the color e-ink prototypes 2 years ago? are they stuck in finding the funds for large scale production? (indeed, to get to a fully colored e-ink tablet someone has to pay for the little steps, from b-w e-ink to one color e-ink, then 2 color e-ink, and so on... but in this case, no one would buy the more expensive version 2 because the cheaper version 1 seems good enough and there are probably hundreds of steps in-between)

Collapse -
Good point.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2013 8:57 PM PST

The display I noted in the f-16 were monochromatic as well. The needs are extreme there as to glare and range of lighting conditions. Bringing in e-ink may be the best solution but today's consumer may be expected color and more than that, video playback.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.