Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Will there be a Windows Vista service pack 3 ?

by christarzan / October 3, 2009 2:54 PM PDT

I have heard that there won't be a service pack 3 for vista. Is it true?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will there be a Windows Vista service pack 3 ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will there be a Windows Vista service pack 3 ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Only Microsoft Knows For Sure
by Jimmy Greystone / October 4, 2009 12:13 AM PDT

Only Microsoft knows for sure, but they've been trying to get away from releasing service packs for a while now. First they cut short SP5 for Windows2000, then took their sweet time getting XP SP3 out, and odds are SP2 is the end of the line as far as major updates go for Vista. Doesn't mean they won't still be releasing individual updates for many years to come, but they just won't be packaged into a handy little package that system builders can use to get to a certain baseline without having to download a bunch of crap off the Internet.

Of course I can see some benefits to Microsoft's way of thinking. It's a huge resource drain to develop these things, which doesn't make Microsoft any money. They have to create new install discs that incorporate this service pack. And, to top it all off, it's an even bigger effort to try and get people to install them. You still have plenty of morons who insist that service packs break their system, when it's more likely the hundreds of different malware programs crawling all over their system that did the damage. There are exceptions, like the boneheaded move HP made using the same image on Intel and AMD systems that caused all kinds of fun for people who've already suffered enough by nature of owning an HP system. Then they had to have a serious insult added to that particular injury.

I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility, but I think they're trying to break people of the habit of expecting them on some kind of regular basis. They might put out a service pack now and again, but it will be more on a basis of need, and pressure they're getting from their multi-million dollar contract holders.

Collapse -
by christarzan / October 4, 2009 7:21 PM PDT

Thanks for the reply. They are forcing people who bought Vista like me to move to Windows 7 indirectly i suppose.

Anyway, I'll wait and see/.

Collapse -
by Jimmy Greystone / October 5, 2009 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Ho

Why? They will still be releasing security updates, they will just be the individual kind, not rolled up into a service pack necessarily. It's not like they're winding down support for it like they've been doing with Windows2000 and XP. Would MS like people to move from Vista to Win7? Absolutely, since their current business model means that they only have revenue flows when people buy new copies of their software, but until MS decides to shut down the activation servers for the likes of XP and Vista, you should be able to use them in perpetuity if you are so inclined.

Collapse -
We bought Vista with a promise
by christarzan / October 5, 2009 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Why?

When I bought vista I was promised that it would be blah blah blah..

But I was nothing like that.

Thanks for your words of advice.

I just feel betrayed that guys who didn't install then when it was released are happy now!

Collapse -
Such is life
by Jimmy Greystone / October 5, 2009 3:24 AM PDT

Such is life. I'm sure Vista isn't the first product that failed to live up to the sales pitch in your life, and it will most likely not be the last. All you can do is just accept that it's not everything you hoped it would be and move on.

Collapse -
A question about service packs and malware
by qqqq88 / October 5, 2009 3:23 AM PDT

Are you sure the service packs help in terms of security if you are already installing all the individual updates? I believe there are Vista users who have installed the individual updates but no service packs (because of driver or BIOS incompatibility and/or the service pack doesn't show up in Windows Update) who have had no problems with malware, viruses, etc.

Collapse -
Service packs generally consolidate all previous updates
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 5, 2009 5:53 AM PDT

and add a few more.

Do they help in terms of security? Yes. They help where users have not installed any Windows updates before. It is difficult for Microsoft to identify individual cases, so SPs are a good idea.

They do no harm if a machine has been kept up to date and is otherwise running without issues. What we tend to find here in these forums are those uers whose machines have problems and they have not been sorted out before installing the SPs.

SP's don't generally, as far as I know, offer drivers. It couldn't because each computer setup is different. Similarly they don't issue BIOS upgrades. There have been the odd occasion where an SP has caused problems, eg the one last year, with SP3 for XP. But that was identified as an HP error with their AMD chips, and not a SP error.

Collapse -
That's a red herring
by Jimmy Greystone / October 5, 2009 9:23 AM PDT

That's a red herring. I have yet to see a service pack that has anything to do with the BIOS. Truth is, after you see the Windows loading screen, the BIOS is generally bypassed from then on because it's too slow.

Driver incompatibilities are also similarly rare. Unless Microsoft changes something about the driver model in the service pack (which would be exceedingly rare, and only done with EXTREMELY good reason) then it shouldn't have any effect on drivers at all. If it does, then the driver is poorly written and depends on things that it shouldn't.

People like to blame service packs for everything that goes wrong with their computer, but generally they're just a rolled up ball of all the updates released to date, and sometimes a few additional. These are all updates that DO NOT alter the behavior of the API in any substantial way, unless that's the only way to plug the security hole. Now, Microsoft has been known to add a few minor features with service packs, but they're hardly anything substantial. Probably the biggest update was XP SP2, which did a pretty substantial overhaul of XP's firewall... But the firewall was really a pretty minor component in the scope of the entire OS.

Service packs are generally a Good Thing(tm). The bulk of the blame they get for causing problems with people's computers is really the fault of something else.

Collapse -
waiting for Vista SP3?
by bill_bentley / August 10, 2010 5:48 AM PDT

A Geek Squad guy (long story, came in to solve some networking problems between different firewall programs) told me not to install any incremental updates - except for Windows Defender - until they came out in a Service Pack. He said those incremental updates were the cause of most 'instability' OS problems and that by the time they came out in service pack MS had had a chance to fix the things in them that cause the individual upgrades to 'break' other programs or functions.

So now I sit like bird in the wilderness with 72 'important' updates available that I'm ignoring, waiting for Vista SP3. And I'm experiencing 'freeze ups' with greater and greater frequency.

Should I keep waiting, or backup everything, download all the updates, and hope everthing works afterwards?

Any wisdom appreciated...

Collapse -
That was a bad advice.
by Kees Bakker / August 10, 2010 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: waiting for Vista SP3?

Although it's not very likely to be related to your freeze up problems.

Collapse -
Geek Squad Guy gave EXTREMELY poor advice ...
by Edward ODaniel / August 10, 2010 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: waiting for Vista SP3?

as very few problems are associated with regular updates and fixes.

The few problems "caused" almost every time have been shown to have an underlying problem of malware or a physical incompatibility.

Collapse -
Mmm Hmm.
by samueltruman / March 28, 2011 12:36 PM PDT

And it's called Windows 7.

Collapse -
No, that's Windows 7
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 28, 2011 10:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Mmm Hmm.

Windows Vista is called Windows Vista.

Collapse -
there won't be Vista SP3
by Volkan-K / July 7, 2012 9:07 PM PDT

Nope. Unfortunately, there will NOT be a Windows Vista Service Pack 3. There is no support for Vista anymore.

Collapse -
What makes you say that?
by Jimmy Greystone / July 7, 2012 11:31 PM PDT

What makes you say that? I'd like to see some sources on that, because last I checked Microsoft's product support lifecycle page, Vista was still good to go for a couple of years. XP is gasping its last few breaths right now, and good riddance to an OS that should have never been allowed to stick around as long as it did, but Vista is still very much under active support. The only real exception I'm aware of is Internet Explorer, and given the raging security hazard that program is, it's no real loss.

So what are your sources that should be taken over that of Microsoft's own?

Collapse -
Sources as good as Area 51 details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2012 11:42 PM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.