Samsung forum

Will the Galaxy Grand work overseas?

by AbhiKap55 / May 1, 2013 1:37 AM PDT

I am planning on buying the galaxy grand from Kuala Lampur, Malaysia. I have heard that this phone is unlocked so it will work out of Malaysia as well. I plan on using this phone in Brazil, where I live. Will it work?

Thanks in advance!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will the Galaxy Grand work overseas?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will the Galaxy Grand work overseas?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2013 1:43 AM PDT

Let's state the Android parts and wifi seem to not care where you are. However there are cellular carriers that will not give access to some phones. This is THEIR CHOICE on the matter and not dictated by you or Samsung.

As to if there is any technical issue you would have to determine which cellular capability this model has and then see if the cellular carrier you plan to use has support for that. Rarely no one but you will do that research.

Collapse -
by AbhiKap55 / May 1, 2013 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe.

Well...the percent of your reply that I understood: 23% Grin

I know that US carriers are kinda strict and what not but I don't believe it is the same here in Brazil..I don't think there is such thing as "locked to this carrier" so...will it work?

Collapse -
You stated it was unlocked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2013 2:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Wait....What?

Since the phone is unlocked your research turns to what sort of cellular radio is in that phone. You'll find the most common is GSM and then you get to figure out what bands it support. Read

Now that you have that figured out then you head to your Brazilian cellular carrier and see if they have GSM and what bands they work.

This is not something the maker of the phone can assure you. They might write it may work but moving a phone around the world is not a sure thing.

Collapse -
Ok One second
by AbhiKap55 / May 1, 2013 3:13 AM PDT

I'm actually not completely sure its unlocked...I just heard it from some source (that I do not remember) Can someone find out if it is unlocked? Thanks!

Collapse -
This phone is bought in Malaysia
by AbhiKap55 / May 1, 2013 3:16 AM PDT

This galaxy grand will be bought in Malaysia, and the website linked above states that all phones in Malaysia and Brazil are sold unlocked.....since this is bought in kuala lampur it is unlocked....

Collapse -
Good to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2013 5:09 AM PDT

But why was there any doubt? That is, if the sales folk don't know their product, I would be running away.

Collapse -
by AbhiKap55 / May 1, 2013 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Good to read.

What do you mean doubt? Are you referring to the fact that I do not know if it'll work here? Well, that's because I have never owned a smartphone before Happy

Collapse -
Why does it matter if it's smart or not?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2013 8:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Doubt?

Locked or not, which radio system it uses applies to smart and other phones. All the same questions for either one.

Collapse -
Re: unlocked
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 1, 2013 6:58 AM PDT makes me think that they have subsidized locked phones, that require a 12 or 24 month contract. You don't want to pay a Malaysian contract while your in Brazil, do you?

I'd find out the details about price, contracts and obligations from the seller, not from some source you on't remember. And don't forget about to be sure about the global warranty!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.