Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Will older PC games play on Win 7 XP mode?

by Rob10 / June 1, 2010 1:52 AM PDT

I have some older PC games written for Windows 95/98 that play fine on my Windows XP computer. I am planning on building a new Win 7 Pro machine, but wondered if these will be playable in XP Mode. They are my 5 year old's favorites and hate to lose the ability to play them with him.
Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will older PC games play on Win 7 XP mode?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will older PC games play on Win 7 XP mode?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Old PC Games
by manmur / June 1, 2010 2:25 AM PDT

Yes, it should work. I have a 95/98 game that I able to play with. I am not running it in compatibility mode though. By the way this is on a Vista system so 7 should not be munch different.

manmur

Collapse -
Excellent!
by Rob10 / June 1, 2010 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Old PC Games

Glad to hear, and my son will be very happy!
Thank you.

Collapse -
You probably
by Jimmy Greystone / June 1, 2010 2:52 AM PDT

You probably don't even need XP Mode. A lot of people seem to think that XP Mode means 7 has no backwards compatibility, which isn't true. Probably 90%+ of programs that run on XP will run on 7.

Otherwise, you can install XP into just about any virtual machine software and play them that way. No need for 7 Pro if you have a retail license of XP already.

Collapse -
Good to know
by Rob10 / June 1, 2010 3:28 AM PDT
In reply to: You probably

My XP license is an Upgrade from the OEM Windows ME OS on my old Dell desktop. Would that work if for some reason the programs won't run natively on Windows 7?

Collapse -
No
by Jimmy Greystone / June 1, 2010 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Good to know

No, you'd need the "full" non-upgrade retail version.

Collapse -
Game Compatibility
by CassandraF_WinTeam / June 1, 2010 5:23 AM PDT

Hi Rob,

I agree with Jimmy, many of your games should work just fine with Windows 7. You can try searching the Windows 7 Compatibility Center if you have questions regarding a specific game - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

Another thing that may be useful in this situation is changing the compatibility settings for the program. You can find out more about this, here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows

Cassandra

Collapse -
Re
by Rob10 / June 1, 2010 6:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Game Compatibility

Thanks Cassandra! The games(Putt Putt series and Disney's Hercules) don't show up in the compatibility list, but I'm hoping they will at worst case by changing the compatibility settings.
Rob

Collapse -
Not all inclusive...
by CassandraF_WinTeam / June 1, 2010 7:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Re

The Compatibility Center is not all inclusive, and there is still a good chance they will work. Maybe if you know someone with Windows 7, you can test the games out on their computer. Or, do a few internet searches and see if anyone else has had experience with those particular games and Windows 7. You can also try contacting the game manufacturers...

Good Luck,
Cassandra

Collapse -
Thanks Cassandra...
by Rob10 / June 1, 2010 8:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Not all inclusive...

I am also going to be getting a new PC for work, so I'll test them on that. I guess either it'll work or it won't LOL!

Collapse -
P.S.
by Rob10 / June 1, 2010 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Not all inclusive...

Forgot to mention...will getting the 64 bit version of Win 7 change my compatibility?

Collapse -
(NT) No
by Jimmy Greystone / June 1, 2010 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: P.S.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.