Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Will not boot from CD

by RanTanNuo / October 1, 2008 6:10 PM PDT

I have the Missing or corrupted File
<Root Window >\system32\hal.dll
Please copy the missing file
Message and I am trying to repair this with the Windows XP Pro disk. I can not enter safe mode and have the settings to boot from CD first. I have the Windows XP cd in the drive and start up the computer. It goes through the normal start up then shows Press any key to boot from CD. I hit keys and nothing happens. It acts if I didnt hit any keys at all and continues to try to boot windows which comes up with the hal.dll error message.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will not boot from CD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will not boot from CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Things to try.
by Kees Bakker / October 1, 2008 7:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Will not boot from CD

1. Booting from this CD on another PC to see if the CD is fine.
2. Replace the CD-drive if #1 succeeds.

Kees

Collapse -
is the OEM winxp on computer winxp sp1 or sp2 ?
by junkyrddawg / October 2, 2008 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Things to try.

if this is a oem winxp cd then it contains only the sp1. the computer will stop the download and message will read something like this:"the software you are trying to install is is older then what is on the computer".meaning you will need to use winxp cd with sp2 update or you can try sp3.
this is the message i received!

Collapse -
CD
by RanTanNuo / October 2, 2008 2:31 PM PDT

It does not even give me the option to reformat, repair and so on. It detects there is a CD in the drive(new drive btw) then says hit any key to boot from CD. No matter what I hit it tries to boot hard drive then repeats the error message. The CD has Windows XP Pro SP2.

Collapse -
Keyboard?
by RanTanNuo / October 2, 2008 4:27 PM PDT
In reply to: CD

I just tried again and noticed that right before it shows press any key to boot from CD the lights on the keyboard go off. Could this mean I can not boot because my keyboard is faulty?

Collapse -
Couldn't Hurt To Try A Swap
by tobeach / October 2, 2008 4:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Keyboard?

with another borrowed board of similar type. Is it possible that thru multiple tries, that the drivers for keyboard &/Or mouse or USB (if USB board)have been deleted/un-installed in prep for new (failing) install?
Don't have more to offer, perhaps others have ideas?? Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
If it's a wireless or USB keyboard ...
by Kees Bakker / October 2, 2008 6:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Keyboard?

try a good old PS/2 one.

Kees

Collapse -
Just an observation...
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 2, 2008 8:23 PM PDT

I'm no expert on this but that, "Press any key to boot from the CD" looks a little strange to me.

I thought that, if the BIOS had been set to boot from a CD first, then it would do just that, boot right up into the CD if there is one present in the drive, without asking.

Did you check your BIOS settings to confirm that the CD Drive is first in the list of the Boot oder?

Mark

Collapse -
"Press any key to boot from the CD"
by billzhills / October 2, 2008 11:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Just an observation...

Morning Mark,

The "Press any key to boot from the CD" is a
normal XP OEM disk message on any system with an
Operating System Installed.

A Blank hard drive will not display this message.

Bill

Collapse -
I stand corrected.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 3, 2008 2:46 AM PDT

Thanks for that Bill.

Although I don't remember that message when I boot up to my Knoppix Live CD, so are you saying that it only occurs when booting up direct from an OEM XP CD?

Mark

Collapse -
Able to boot
by RanTanNuo / October 3, 2008 2:51 PM PDT
In reply to: I stand corrected.

I replaced the USB keyboard with an older style keyboard and I can now boot from the CD. Now I just need to try and repair the errors.

Collapse -
Worked for me
by anthonysuzgem / September 7, 2012 4:48 AM PDT

Try changing keyboard. If that don't work change to the non usb keyboard.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.