Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Will National Healthcare Reduce Automobile Insurance Costs?

by James Denison / February 1, 2013 5:41 AM PST

Seems in any country where there's a national healthcare mandate, there should likewise be one that cancels all requirements for personal injury, medical, and other such insurance coverage on automobile insurance policies. The only coverage required should be property coverage.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will National Healthcare Reduce Automobile Insurance Costs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will National Healthcare Reduce Automobile Insurance Costs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good question
by Steven Haninger / February 1, 2013 5:52 AM PST

If it would, I could see an added tax being placed somewhere on automobile owners or use that would cover medical care due to auto accidents.

Collapse -
Or maybe
by James Denison / February 1, 2013 6:00 AM PST
In reply to: Good question

those with insured medical coverage for their vehicles could deduct that from their required medical care tax each year, leaving those who don't drive to pay the full medical amount direct to the government.

Collapse -
The problem in this country is
by James Denison / February 1, 2013 6:31 AM PST

there's too many health insurance overlaps costing us billions more than necessary. I think any country with national health care should ban all requirements for health care from employers, automobile drivers, etc. The only insurance available might be to cover anything ABOVE what the govt is already providing and in a true national health care system even that should be forbidden. One problem are insurance companies already fighting over which policy covers what when it comes to healthcare, especially if an automobile accident or injury on private property occurs. Either get rid of all health insurance where there is national healthcare, or get rid of the national healthcare.

Collapse -
Sounds like you're making a case
by Steven Haninger / February 1, 2013 6:51 AM PST

for a full service single payer system other than a government run one. I know it's complicated now but it's only going to get worse next year when the full force of new plan hits. Working couples with their own employer plans will have the biggest headaches. I'm transitioning away from all of that now so won't be part of the fun.

Collapse -
the new healthcare is not a national healthcare program, yet
by Roger NC / February 1, 2013 7:05 AM PST

It's a requirement each individual buy insurance from somewhere, with aid for those considered too poor to buy at market rates.

Even if you have a government option, it's not a national healthcare program unless everyone pays into a government insurance and gets benefits from that program.

Collapse -
What made me wonder
by James Denison / February 1, 2013 7:46 AM PST

is I was watching a cop program done in the UK and they still had "insurance" needed for their car. I was wondering if the insurance there also had a health care charge in it, since they already had national health care.

Collapse -
first change I'd like to see in car insurance
by Roger NC / February 1, 2013 8:05 AM PST
In reply to: What made me wonder

mine pays my cost in an accident, your's pays yours.

After that, they can fight out legally which owes which. We buy insurance, it should cover us, not depend on the other guy.

Fault may still influence cost of insurance, since mine shouldn't go up if you run a red light and hit me, but I shouldn't have to sue you and your insurance to get my cost covered.

Collapse -
According to a news report I saw yesterday
by TONI H / February 1, 2013 9:24 PM PST
In reply to: What made me wonder

There are four plans to choose from in Obamacare that people and businesses are 'required' to have since all health care policies now have to be 'okayed' by the Federal Government before it can be allowed.....I don't know the names, but they have nicknames already. Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum (guess which ones unions have)......according to that report, the lowest policy (bronze) will cost an average of $20,000 per year for a family of four. Are you kidding me?

Collapse -
Everyone limited to one of 4 plans?
by Roger NC / February 1, 2013 9:38 PM PST

Interesting, hadn't heard that claim before.

And while you're knocking unions, I wonder how that will affect union negotiated benefits that supposely are already agreed on for xx years?

Our is pretty good, I admit, but it ain't the golden plan executives have, in fact, all salary have bettter than the hourly union members in our case.

This year our deductible went up another $100, the maximum out of pocket annually went up another $850, drug copayment roughly doubled, premiums went up, other changes here and there.

They also forced many out of the retirement plan and into 401K only, who stayed in the pension plan was based on age and service time combined formulas.

We have good insurance, but doubt it's as good as you assume.

Collapse -
Maybe we'll get lucky
by Steven Haninger / February 1, 2013 9:47 PM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.