PC Hardware

Question

Will I be able to run next gen games with this pc?

by hillelslovak / June 18, 2013 8:37 AM PDT

I am a total noob when it comes to pc specs/tech etc. I'm a console gamer, but I'm really considering switching over to a pc and forgoing this next gen of consoles. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883256747 This is the computer I was looking to buy, as I need a new computer badly.

So, will this console be able to handle the level of games the new consoles will pump out for the next few years?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will I be able to run next gen games with this pc?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will I be able to run next gen games with this pc?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2013 10:36 AM PDT

You'd look at the A10 AMD or better.
Bob

Collapse -
clarification needed
by hillelslovak / June 19, 2013 5:57 AM PDT
In reply to: No.

So is that a graphics card? Remember, I am a noob. I asked my cousin, who's a hardcore pc gamer, and he was looking at the specs for xbox one and ps4, and he didn't think they were that great, and that pc would handle stuff for a couple years, at least. Could you elaborate as to why it won't cut it?

Collapse -
Why? First hand testing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2013 8:38 AM PDT
In reply to: clarification needed

The A6 was OK for the web browser user.
The A8 was OK for the entry level low expectation gamer and almost there.
The A10 is "now we're talking" and gamers could get by.

As to the CONSOLES there is some deep discussions to reveal why that works with less than your average PC CPU and more. I can't fit it all in this small box but in short, the games are written for that platform and if there is some performance issue the developer can fix it for that platform. In PC gaming? Not the same story.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
No no.
by bob b / June 19, 2013 8:34 AM PDT

But it depends on what you mean by 'handle'.

The A6 series....what you picked.....is at 'best' a light duty gamer.
The A10 series moves you to the light/medium gamer.....if you fit it with the proper ram.

It's tough to 'build' a mid range gaming pc for much less than a 1000 bucks.

Collapse -
why exactly?
by hillelslovak / June 19, 2013 9:11 AM PDT
In reply to: No no.

Why is the a6 not good enough? Im looking at the A10 on amazon, and is there really a big dif between the two? the a6 with 3.6ghz to the leyman doesnt seem too dif from the a10 with 3.8ghz. and compared to the new consoles hardware, that combined with the 8gb ram doesnt seem bad. Please explain as to why it's so bad?

My cousin is working with a system far inferior to the one I'm looking at, and he can run Dishonored, Crysis 3 etc with very good visual settings....

Collapse -
Look at the GPU in the APU.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2013 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: why exactly?

Sorry but the acronyms will be familiar to the person that is researching this.

Find reviews on these systems and find a common benchmark such a WoW frame rates.

Gamers tend to flame if the FPS is under 30.

-> But here's the reason most should tell you NO! You asked for next gen games and not games from years ago.

Read http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-5800k-a8-5600k-a6-5400k,3224.html for more comparisons.
Bob

Collapse -
ok, the amd10
by hillelslovak / June 19, 2013 9:38 AM PDT

If I dropped the 110usd or so on the a10, would I be okay then? Would I also need to up the ram as well?

Collapse -
When they wrote "proper ram."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2013 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: ok, the amd10

They meant you install pairs or what's required to get the performance. My kid picked up an a8 laptop and it's performance went up when it was fitted with a pair (of RAM sticks.)

Collapse -
Gaming
by bob b / June 19, 2013 10:57 AM PDT
In reply to: ok, the amd10

I would think that the A10-5800k.....fitted with 2x4GB of the fastest ram the mobo will support in native mode... will run most games with medium settings .....just fine.

Keep that fastest ram stuff in mind as you'll be using it to feed the video.

Collapse -
how about this one?
by hillelslovak / June 20, 2013 9:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Gaming
Collapse -
Today, 8GB is the sweet spot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2013 9:56 AM PDT
In reply to: how about this one?

And there's a chance the A10-6800 make work in that so you may have some future upgrade possibility.

As to your gaming needs, I thought I supplied links to benchmarks? That is, if that's not enough I don't know what is.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.