Samsung forum

General discussion

Will heavy use of x264/mkv shorten life span of LCD TV?

by ben07m / July 23, 2010 5:57 AM PDT

I just got a new Samsung LCD TV and it could play almost all my video files (except FLV of course) smoothly and better than my WDTV LIVE media player.

I play heavily x264/mkv files (FIFA Wold Cup....) with constant FF/FB seeking and am wondering will this heavy usage shorten the life span of the Samsung LCD TV? cause if the answer is NO, then I'm getting rid of my WDTV Live, cause my Samsung LCD TV could do it better.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will heavy use of x264/mkv shorten life span of LCD TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will heavy use of x264/mkv shorten life span of LCD TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
mkv/x264 on Samsung
by eneyman / July 23, 2010 8:54 AM PDT

Hey Ben, is your samsung lcd the new C650 series? I am interested in buying the 40C650 and want to stream mkv/x264 high def movies I downloaded. I also researched the WD Live box as a way to stream the hd movies..Do you know if you can you play them through the tv's usb via a portable hard drive?? What are you playing them off of and is there any lag etc?

Collapse -
by ben07m / July 23, 2010 3:34 PM PDT
In reply to: mkv/x264 on Samsung

Hi Eddie, I had the LN46C650 for one week and had to return it cause I couldn't stand the "reflective screen" of this particular model, and got the LN46C610 (non reflective/matte screen) instead and am very happy about it.

LN46C610/LNC46C630 are almost identical with same $ MSRP, except 610 has a red bezel whereas the 630 has grey bezel. 650 is about $100 more than the 610/630 and has the reflective screen. I've 7 TBs of video and my eyes don't like the reflective screen!

Yes, you could stream HD videos/movies via the USB/external portable HDD or LAN using the WDTV Live, but once you got the Samsung LCD TV, you don't need the WDTV Live or any other media players anymore, cause the Samsung LCD TV has this built in the TV itself!!!, you could play your HD clips via the TV's USB port or LAN, and that's the beauty of the newer Samsung LCD TV.

Samsung LCD TV is far superior in playing HD clips (720p/1080i/p X264 /mkv/.ts) as compared to WDTV Live, I have clips ranges from 2.5 GB to 31 GB (yes 31 GB in one file La.Liga.Real.Madrid.vs.FC.Barcelona.1080i.HDTV) and my LN46C610 plays them all smoothly and beautifully. The GUI of Samsung LCD TV is also superior than the WDTV Live/Asus O'Play and Patriot Media Box, and everything is "instant" on the Samsung LCD TV.

Hope I answered your questions.

Collapse -
Samsung gaming
by eneyman / July 24, 2010 4:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Eddie

Hey ben, can you tell me how your C series samsung handles gaming? I played with my brothers A650 from a few years back and it was terrible, even in game mode.. very delayed/slugglish refresh and slow jerky movement, also the colors were dull and pixelated for games.. How is your C series and do you experience these effects when playing 360/ps3?

Collapse -
Will heavy use of x264/mkv shorten life span of LCD TV?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 23, 2010 1:28 PM PDT

The use of streaming won't wear down the panel, picture or strain the electronics, if that's what you mean.

As far as FF/RW functionality, that may or may not work depending on the file type. Some manuals state that functionality of FF/RW is not designed to work with DLNA, so such control may not be available. If that's an important function, it's something you'll want to consider. If I can help with providing manual pages for specific models, I'll be happy to.

Collapse -
by ben07m / July 23, 2010 2:58 PM PDT

Thanks HDTech, great to hear "The use of streaming won't wear down the panel, picture or strain the electronics", that's what I meant to ask!

I could FF/RW seek all my x264/.mkv/.ts videos (all FIFA World Cup in 720p/1080) using the Samsung remote control, but the trick is NOT to use the >> or << buttons, but use the > and < (selection buttons, press and HOLD) instead and another trick is to hit the INFO i button, and if the video time line is shown on the top, you could seek FF/FB 100% using the included Samsung remote control!

Best regards.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.