Video Games & Consoles forum

Question

Will console manufacturer cables work better than 3rd-party?

by FensterBos / December 14, 2012 3:14 AM PST

Overall, I subscribe to the belief that as long as you're only 6 feet away from a console or cable box you don't need to spend big bucks on an HDMI cable. However, I am experiencing issues with my new television (Panasonic 55" Plasma Viera) and it was suggested that an official Sony HDMI cable could be a good fix. Has anyone had an experience with this happening? Here are two cables available by Best Buy:

<div>1. Sony Official HDMI Cable 6.5' - $49
2. Rocketfish PS3 HDMI Cable 8' - $80

I don't mind buying one or both since I can just return them, but would you recommend one over the other or do you think it is just malarky?
</div>

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will console manufacturer cables work better than 3rd-party?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will console manufacturer cables work better than 3rd-party?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Considering
by Jimmy Greystone / December 14, 2012 8:08 PM PST

Considering HDMI is a digital signal, it really doesn't matter how far away you are, it will either work or it won't. There is a small bit of wiggle room in there, but for the most part the whole distance between sources is an analog signal issue. There are still maximum cable lengths with digital signals, but there's basically no quality loss as long as you're within that range. The drawback is as I already said, things either work or they don't, unlike analog signals where there was a significant amount of "in between".

Companies make an absolute killing on selling cables to people who don't know that there's really no difference between some $5 HDMI cable and that $80 cable you list. Further, HDMI is HDMI, so there's no point paying extra because some company put PS3 in the name and paid Sony for the privilege of putting the PS3 logo on the packaging. Don't waste your time on things like Monster's gold plated HDMI cables or whatever else, because it will have absolutely no impact beyond maybe extending the maximum cable length a little by lowering the resistance of the cable on the signal.

Just go to some place like Monoprice and get yourself a cheap HDMI cable. It'd also be a good idea to educate yourself further on the differences between digital and analog signals. Let other people pay 10-20X more than they need to for a cable believing it will be somehow beneficial.

Collapse -
so it's also B.S
by itsdigger / December 14, 2012 8:52 PM PST
In reply to: Considering

when they tell us there's a difference between a 1080p and a 1080i cable Jimmy, I've been curious about that also.

Collapse -
Hard to notice
by ivxNinja / December 14, 2012 11:38 PM PST
In reply to: so it's also B.S

There is a difference between 1080p and 1080i cables but it is very minor and not minor at the same time. Minor in that some people just don't notice because they don't pay attention or don't know it if they see it. Not minor in the sense that there is a difference if you know what to look for. Judging by your television though you will want to go with a 1080p cable if your television supports the 1080p format. The difference is in the letter appended at the end. P is for progressive and I is for interlaced. I can get real technical but if you want the gist, since television is just rapid success frames of images, P shows you the entire image at once, where as I, interlaced, shows every other line in an alternating sequence. For fast scenes and gaming, you may experience what is called, "ghosting" when using 1080i cable. The price difference should be minimal so I say go ahead and invest no if your TV supports it.

Collapse -
Never seen that
by Jimmy Greystone / December 15, 2012 1:02 AM PST
In reply to: so it's also B.S

Never seen someone advertising a 1080i only cable to be honest. Sounds like the sort of thing companies do when they have a bunch of cables that work, but not quite as well as they should, and can't quite push a 1080p signal reliably. But even still, that would be a digital signal so there'd be no difference in the resulting image quality if you have 2ft or 20ft of cable.

So I'd take a look at Bob's posts below, and say that there seems to be some kind of rare issue with certain PS3-cable-TV combos. In which case, why spend a lot of money on a cable? You could probably get 30+ cables off a place like Monoprice for the same amount of money as the single cable from Best Buy, and odds are one of those 30+ cables would work.

Collapse -
Answer
In a RARE instance it helped.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2012 11:44 PM PST

There was this PS3 SLIM that didn't work with a Samsung (and now other makers) TVs. The Sony cable helped.

It should not have mattered but it did. This confused the heck out of so many people but there is something different about the PS3 SLIM that once in a while for no good reason it doesn't display on some sets.

It's widely known, discussed with silence from Sony and the other makers are scratching there heads because you can take other PS3's and they work.

I wish it never happened.
Bob

Collapse -
Links about Samsung and the issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2012 11:50 PM PST
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=samsung+ps3+mode+not+supported

Again, I wish it wasn't happening. Those that have not run into this will dis anyone that writes about it. Then one day it will happen to them and they get it. You can see it's a problem with some but not all PS3's and sometimes the cable helps which confuses the heck out of folk.

But here's the awful truth. The owner will not change out the PS3. They will try the cables. And we can try the cable in the shop so we do that. Since all other HDMI things work, it's easy to see where the fault is but your consumer will rarely accept that. They'll continue to fault the TV.

Someday we'll know the root cause but for now as long as Sony is mum or I haven't read a Sony statement on this, it's what it is.
Bob
Collapse -
Definitely Frustrating
by FensterBos / December 17, 2012 10:28 PM PST

In all honesty, I hope that my TV has something wrong with it because I can have my TV replaced for free, but it would cost me another $250 to get another PS3 console. I don't play games as much as I used to, but once in a while I find a game that I just love and want to play.
I have GeekSquad coming by the house on Friday; they will be the final say as to what the real problem is.

Collapse -
I hear you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2012 12:10 AM PST
In reply to: Definitely Frustrating

Wish I had a clear fix. Do you happen to have a HD audio receiver with HDMI input and off to the TV. Sometimes...

Collapse -
HD Audio Receiver
by FensterBos / December 18, 2012 1:21 AM PST
In reply to: I hear you.

I do have one - after I purchased the Panasonic TC-P55ST50 I purchased a Denon receiver with Boston Acoustic Speakes. The Denon is HD and 3D ready. I originally thought the issue was with the receiver, but once I connected the PS3 directly to the HDTV I realized it was more than just the receiver.

Collapse -
Klonk. And here's more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2012 1:29 AM PST
In reply to: HD Audio Receiver
Collapse -
Slim or not
by FensterBos / December 18, 2012 11:27 PM PST

I believe I have "the Slim"; I purchased it earlier this year when my old one finally clunked out. The model number is -3001a.

So, my buddy has the same exact TV that I have (Panasonic TC-P55ST50) and he tried MY PS3 on his TV and it worked, displaying the game in 720P. So, I am going to get in touch with Best Buy and do a swap for another set; it is a bit of a pain in the butt, but I'd rather pick up a new one than having to buy a new PS3 or Blu-Ray player.

Collapse -
(NT) 720? That TV is 1080p.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2012 4:58 AM PST
In reply to: Slim or not
Collapse -
Yes - TV is 1080p...
by FensterBos / December 19, 2012 10:45 PM PST
In reply to: 720? That TV is 1080p.

...but, some PS3 games are developed at 720p - actually most games are 720p so the tv should be able to transmit at 720p as well.

Collapse -
Or receive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2012 12:51 AM PST
In reply to: Yes - TV is 1080p...

Hopefully you get this fixed soon. At least you didn't call me crazy about the issue. I wish Sony would say what's up.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.