TVs & Home Theaters forum

Resolved Question

Will blu-ray players play a regular dvd ?

by philray45 / April 26, 2011 9:52 PM PDT

maybe a dumb question-but will blu-ray players work on a regular dvd ?

philray45 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will blu-ray players play a regular dvd ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will blu-ray players play a regular dvd ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by philray45

Collapse -
and the answer is:
by devo2u / April 29, 2011 2:21 PM PDT

Yes, blu-ray players will play standard Video DVD's, not to mention audio CD's as well.

Collapse -
(NT) Yup.
by Coryphaeus / April 26, 2011 11:09 PM PDT
Collapse -
But to check the spec. to be sure.
by ahtoi / April 27, 2011 2:00 AM PDT

Generally speaking, not only will a DBPlayer plays dvd but will also up-converse as well, which means the dvd video will look better.

Collapse -
correct answer but..
by skyken2000 / April 29, 2011 11:24 AM PDT

It will up convert. I( got this explanation from another part of CNET:
1. Just what does an upconverting player do?The elevator pitch behind upconverting (or upscaling) DVD players is that they can make your standard-definition DVDs look like they're in HD--or at least look more HD-like. However, as any critical consumer knows, there's often a big gap between marketing lingo and reality, especially when you're talking about using a microchip (or two) and fancy software algorithms to magically turn one thing into something it isn't.

Collapse -
Up-conversion in a nutshell
by gingaskunk / April 29, 2011 12:57 PM PDT
In reply to: correct answer but..

Here is a basic idea of what up-conversion does.

Collapse -
Comparing SD and HD discs
by Dan Filice / April 29, 2011 2:44 PM PDT

I have several movies in both SD and BR disc formats, and I've spent a lot of time doing A-B comparisons when played on the same TV. While up converting regular DVD does look better than it does in 480p, the true BR high def disc blows it away. Nothing compares to having full 1080p.

Collapse -
Reread my answer
by skyken2000 / April 30, 2011 12:11 AM PDT

I did not go into a detailed explanation because Executive editor, CNET Reviews, By David Carnoy wrote an in depth explanation and I thought it would be re-inventing the wheel to add more than a cursory explanation so that it is succinct.

Collapse -
by Flatworm / April 29, 2011 11:32 PM PDT

Yes, all of them do. All of them always have, from the first Sony released on the market.

One thing, though... There is a very real difference in the quality of the upconversion that they do of SD-DVDs. Some of them look almost like an SD broadcast television picture; others provide output that apparently is very close to real HD to the point that some more casual viewers (or viewers with poor eyesight) won't even notice a difference.

I'm waiting (to replace my current player) for one that decodes and plays AVIs from a data CD or DVD.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.