Mac OS forum

General discussion

Will a .wmv movie to play on a standard DVD player?

by Creative Media / March 4, 2010 4:15 AM PST

I have a .wmv movie I would like to burn to a DVD to play on a standard DVD player connected to my TV (not just on my computer). I have several pieces of software that can convert the .wmv file to another format, but don't know which format I should convert it to. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will a .wmv movie to play on a standard DVD player?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will a .wmv movie to play on a standard DVD player?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A standard DVD player
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 4, 2010 7:59 AM PST

will not play a .wmv file, even if it is on a DVD disk.

The .wmv file must first be converted DVD format. You will end up with two folders, Video TS and Audio TS.
Burn those to a DVD and it should be readable by a standard DVD player.

What file converters do you have? wmv does not play well with converters

P

Collapse -
My converters
by Creative Media / March 4, 2010 9:37 PM PST
In reply to: A standard DVD player

I have three converters: Handbrake, VLC, and the converters in Roxio Toast 10

Collapse -
(NT) Don't think any of those will convert wmv files
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 5, 2010 3:21 AM PST
In reply to: My converters
Collapse -
Thanks, anyway
by Creative Media / March 5, 2010 3:27 AM PST

Bummer . . . but thanks for trying to help me anyway.

Collapse -
VisualHub
by thericky / March 19, 2010 12:29 AM PDT
In reply to: My converters

The best Mac software I've ever used to convert videos is VisualHub. Unfortunately, it is no longer supported or produced, but you should be able to download a copy. It's simple to use and will convert from just about any format to any format. It's also much faster at doing so than anything else I've tried.

I've used VisualHub almost exclusively to convert video files for my podcast (link in my sig to see the quality). I generally convert from HDV 1080i down to either 360p for iPod/iPhone viewing or 720p for YouTube HD, but it works great for DVD production as well. There are plenty of options for that.

--
Ricky

Message was edited by: admin to remove signature link which is prohibited in these forums. Please use your CNET profile for such. Thanks!

Collapse -
Signature Links
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 19, 2010 2:13 AM PDT
In reply to: VisualHub

are not permitted under the CNET Terms of Service.

Thanks

P

Collapse -
Whoops!
by thericky / March 19, 2010 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Signature Links

Sorry about that! I read the terms and didn't see anything prohibiting signature links.

Collapse -
rem wmv video file
by Edgson / March 5, 2010 12:22 PM PST

just read your post..have u tried win avi converter..i use that with many types of format and it worked well burning to dvd after conversion

Collapse -
WIN Converter?Where?
by Creative Media / March 5, 2010 12:32 PM PST
In reply to: rem wmv video file

Do you know where I can get that converter?

Collapse -
AVS
by tonyramosjr / March 5, 2010 6:56 PM PST
In reply to: WIN Converter?Where?
Collapse -
Windows Only - Not for Mac
by Creative Media / March 6, 2010 12:44 AM PST
In reply to: AVS

The AVI Converter you pointed me to, is for Windows only, not for Mac, and I am running a Macintosh platform (PowerPC Tower G5 with OSX 10.5)

Collapse -
Simple enough
by Jamfan55 / March 5, 2010 9:38 PM PST

I've been saving my videos as wmv files to save space. I regularly import these files into my editing/burning program (Premiere Elements) and burn them to DVD with no problems.

Collapse -
No, But...
by Flatworm / March 5, 2010 10:27 PM PST

You can't just copy a .wmv file to a DVD and expect your DVD player to play it.

HOWEVER, there are a whole slew of programs that will write a .wmv, .avi, .mpg, or any of the many compressed video file formats out there to a DVD and, in the process, convert them to the correct format to play on your player.

I use regular old (prit' near ancient now) Nero 7.

Collapse -
Remember, this is not a Windows problem
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 5, 2010 11:12 PM PST
In reply to: No, But...

the OP has a Mac and a couple of these suggestions are for Windows.

Beware of AVS

They spam the forums, we delete on sight, and if you have a good product, you don't need to do that.

P

Collapse -
Playing wmv files
by dincz / March 6, 2010 12:46 AM PST

I know this doesn't really answer your query but for future reference, there are DVD players that will play wmv files. I have one that I bought for that reason.

Collapse -
yes it does
by porsche10x / March 7, 2010 12:36 AM PST
In reply to: Playing wmv files

Actually, that does answer the question exactly!

Collapse -
Which players?
by Creative Media / March 7, 2010 7:16 AM PST
In reply to: yes it does

Which players will do it. Is there a list somewhere? F.Y.I., I have a new Sony high def blue ray player, will that one do it?

Collapse -
Which players?
by dincz / March 7, 2010 1:57 PM PST
In reply to: Which players?

These are the only ones I can give you off the top of my head. Creative googling will show more.
Philips DVP5980 and its clone:
Ferguson D-880_HX

As for your Sony player - you didn't mention the model number so I can't help you. The user manual should tell you the answer.

Collapse -
NO
by jimmy8765 / March 10, 2010 4:51 PM PST
In reply to: Which players?

U should convert the videos to .vob or .avi(if your dvd player support divx).After converted, what you should do next is just inserting a blank DVD to the DVD drive of your PC, and then use no matter ImgBurn, Nero Express or whatever to author the generated vob files to DVD.

Collapse -
WMV Movie
by trigger32 / March 12, 2010 9:41 PM PST
In reply to: NO

the best prog to use is ConvertXtoDvd.it is easy to use and free if you know where to look for it.

Collapse -
Not even close,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 12, 2010 9:52 PM PST
In reply to: WMV Movie

this is Windows software.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.