Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Will a USB wireless adapter work on Xbox 360, Help!!!

by hccmac1 / January 6, 2006 4:57 PM PST

Have a Linksys WCG200 Wireless Router/Modem, 802.11G, and a Xbox 360 system. Units are about 20' apart. Would like to have a wireless connectivity to Xbox 360 for Xbox Live gaming. Microsoft makes a wireless USB game adapter specifically for the Xbox 360...but it is $100. Other manufacturers make USB wireless for laptops and other desktops to connect to a wireless networks. Will these less expensive USB's work in connecting Xbox 360 to my wireless network?? A tech at Best Buy said it would work, but also said he could not be sure of total compatibilty. Lag??? Any suggestions???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will a USB wireless adapter work on Xbox 360, Help!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will a USB wireless adapter work on Xbox 360, Help!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wireless USB adapter for XBOX 360
by chasnjim / May 17, 2006 11:37 AM PDT

I am having the spame problem. I have a WUSB54 linsksys wireless-g adapter. I wanted to somehow hook it up to the 360 to get xbox live. Is it possible to do that???

Collapse -
Check the XBox specs
by pratapan / June 22, 2006 7:19 AM PDT

They should have given a list of supported devices and how to configure them.

Another option is a wireless bridge. Dlink calls it the wireless gaming adapter. Ethernet on one side and 802.11g on the other. You can configure this with your PC and test connectivity. Once that works just plug the XBOX into the ethernet jack of the 802.11 bridge and it should work. XBox should be able to talk to you wireless router.

Collapse -
re: Wireless USB adapter for XBOX 360
by Krazy-K / June 22, 2006 2:29 PM PDT

I think it depends on whether the wireless adapters are plug and play, or if you need to install some kind of software/drivers to get it to work. If its plug and play then i would think it would work fine, but its still iffy...

Collapse -
Re: XBox 360 Wireless....
by basesloaded190 / June 22, 2006 10:24 AM PDT

I doubt that it would work. The XBox (like a regular PC) would need to install some drivers/firmware in order for it to work, which I doubt the XBox 360 is capable of doing.

I'm sure that Microsoft made sure to keep the internet/online parts/functions of the 360 under its own control as much as possible.

Collapse -
Here is a link
by MacGyver_Orca / November 8, 2008 1:55 PM PST
Collapse -
Do USB Wireless Adapters Work On Xbox Live?
by theradialangel / February 1, 2009 1:20 PM PST

Here's the easy answer: NO. The general rule of thumb here is that wireless USB devices will not work on the Xbox 360 to connect you to Xbox Live. The reason is the driver installation. Microsoft does not have the Xbox 360 set up to allow 3rd party drivers to be installed on the system. It's a better thing in the end. The best thing to do is either pick up the Xbox 360 Wireless USB adapter OR buy a gaming bridge/ethernet bridge. And ethernet bridge like the WGA54G can be plugged straight into your 360 OR you can use it to plug in to a hub/switch and receive a wireless signal and run multiple connections into the hub/switch to get internet on, say, 2 Xbox 360s or your 360, PS3, and your PC. It's a cheaper deal in the end if you don't have a wireless card in your PC already. And with a 54MB/s transmission rate, you can get plenty of gaming speed while surfing the internet (if you can multi-task that well).

The bottom line though is if it ain't Microsoft's USB device, the wireless adapter won't work. Find a gaming adapter or bridge and it will more than likely work.

Collapse -
The final answer WORKS :) XBOX LIVE YES
by itzdreezy / January 31, 2011 7:08 AM PST

Yes you can theres two ways to do it follow any of these instrustions on youtube 1-

2- second way is to bridge connections.. NO THIS IS NOT ILLEGAL lol ITS LEGAL

1) Plug the XBOX into the ethernet connection on your pc and make
sure your XBOX is off.

2) Click start and select network.

3) When network loads up click Network and Sharing Center.

4) When it loads up click Manage network connections.

5) when this loads up press Local Area Connection hold the
control button and click Wireless Network Connection.

6) then right-click either Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection
and then click Bridge Connection.
your now connected

7) Turn on your XBOX and you should sign into XBOX LIVE, if not go into
XBOX settings and select network settings, then test the connection.

If you have any other problems then contact me.

Collapse -
by indrct / October 30, 2013 3:21 AM PDT

I just found this two years later, and you're a life saver bro.

Collapse -
Wireless Network Adapter that works for XBOX 360
by Walker6906 / June 17, 2012 2:14 AM PDT

Thanks for the info. Otherwise would have wasted money and time

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.