Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

wild tangent

by Mark G / February 11, 2004 11:15 PM PST

i run spybot, adaware, spyware blaster, spy guard.
and i still find wild tangent i haveint a clue where its comeing from.
xp pro avg all critical updates Sad

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wild tangent
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wild tangent
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:wild tangent
by Marianna Schmudlach / February 11, 2004 11:43 PM PST
In reply to: wild tangent

do you have an HP computer?? Wild Tangent are pre-installed games.

Also have a look

Collapse -
Re:Re:wild tangent
by Mark G / February 12, 2004 5:55 AM PST
In reply to: Re:wild tangent

no hp for me i built this puter and im puzzled:(

Collapse -
Re:wild tangent
by Marianna Schmudlach / February 12, 2004 6:04 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:wild tangent

(Wild Tangent) Wild Tangent Web Driver ? Background task installed with games from Wild Tangent. This background task notifies you of new or updated Wild Tangent games whilst also supposedly making it faster for you to access your Wild Tangent games ? it will also automatically download in the background updated version of your current games (if configured to do so). GAMECHANNEL will also show in the Task List of new PCs (2002), such as Hewlett-Packard?s Pavilion range, as they come pre-installed with demo versions of Wild Tangent games. Some Wild Tangent games : Atomic Pop, Betty Bad, Blackhawk Striker, Blasterball 2, BlasterBall Wild, Cannonballs, Dark Orbit, Dice Jam, Excavation, Gem Master, Hit the Pros, Honeycombs, Kublox, Men in Black II CROSSFIRE (& Extreme version), SabreWing, Slyder, Snowboard Extreme, Space Rocks, Virtual Warfare.

Recommendation :
This task consumes Internet bandwidth unnecessarily and unless you use your PC primarily for games, you should disable it with The Ultimate Troubleshooter (our preferred method) ? it is not needed to run your games. Another way to disable it is by right-clicking the Wild Tangent icon in the System Tray, taking OFF all ticks, and clicking OK. Other issues with this task include problems with Internet access as a result of the task crashing in the background, and Internet Explorer crashes. If you do not play any Wild Tangent games, you should consider de-installing anything "Wild Tangent" in the "Add/Remove Programs" in the Control Panel.

Does this help?

Collapse -
Re:Re:wild tangent
by Mark G / February 12, 2004 8:09 AM PST
In reply to: Re:wild tangent

i dont have nor play any of those games and its not in add/remove but when i do virus check its in puter.
then i go to regedit remove all traces till reboot its back

Collapse -
Mark, This Might Help
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 12, 2004 6:22 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:wild tangent
Wild Tangent/GameChannel.exe Start Up and Games

I also had WT on my new Compaq computer. Uninstalling it from the Add/Remove Programs section, (plus uninstalling ALL of the games included), then running Ad-Aware and Spybot clean it off the machine.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Mark, I met that WildTangent too (last Feb. 6) :)
by Donna Buenaventura / February 12, 2004 6:27 AM PST
In reply to: Mark, This Might Help
Collapse -
Re:Mark, This Might Help
by Mark G / February 12, 2004 8:10 AM PST

i dont have any games and i ran adaware/ spybot comes back:(

Collapse -
grrrrrrrr more
by Mark G / February 12, 2004 8:31 AM PST

i ran spybot says clean, adaware says same.
go to regedit find more crap grrrr
i really dont want to format redo this puter

ok sounds dumb im behind a router and za free whats gonna happen if i cant rid it from puter?

Collapse -
Re:grrrrrrrr more
by Marianna Schmudlach / February 12, 2004 8:42 AM PST
In reply to: grrrrrrrr more

can you find: GameChannel.exe ?

do you have AIM on your computer??

Wait! Don't trash AIM! WildTangent is only in the 5.5 betas of AIM which have the games feature (which are all made by WildTangent). Downgrade to the 5.2.3292 version of AIM (you can get it here). The only crap it puts on your system is AOD (AOL on Desktop) which is removed by going to C:/Program Files and deleting AOD. While your there, go into the AIM/sysfiles folder and delete everything EXCEPT imagehlp.dll and msvcr70.dll. Also go to the Add or Remove programs section of your control panel and uninstall Viewpoint Media Player. If it sounds like a lot of work, don't worry, it literally takes a minute. There's only one issue left with AIM: the ads. To get rid of them, download AIMutation or middle_man. Whichever one you choose, just be sure "Disable ads" is checked. The only thing left are audio ads (that go along with movies usually). You can get a free program to do it http://s90686521.onlinehome.us/software/kill_audio_ads.exe

Collapse -
have you checked in your Sys32 folder
by dawillie / May 27, 2006 3:25 AM PDT

seems like it is there as well as prefetch.

you may need to d/l 'move on boot'here

and follow the prompts.

however before you run it, you should know the exact location of the file i.e. Sys32 folder/ Pre-fetch folder etc.

simplest way is to 'search' all files folders to determine the location.

once you have noted it, d/l install and run 'move on boot'.

post back if this method is successful.

Collapse -
LOL David, the post you just responded to is
by roddy32 / May 27, 2006 4:08 AM PDT

from February of 2004. LOL

Collapse -
god that was a funny
by dawillie / May 27, 2006 6:11 AM PDT

and methinks we have talked about this before.

maybe this is an example to be shown to TPTB [LK].

thank you Roddy.

Didn't see anything but a poster having trouble and tried to help.

Happy Armistice Day to you, from the cousins in Canada.

Collapse -
Happy Holiday to you also David
by roddy32 / May 27, 2006 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: god that was a funny

and perhaps we will chip in and buy you some new glasses. Happy

Collapse -
thank you.
by dawillie / May 27, 2006 6:38 AM PDT

looks like I need them.

Collapse -
And maybe a Holiday Calendar... ;) ;)
by glenn30 / May 27, 2006 7:33 AM PDT

No problem David... just kidding. I think it's Memorial Day in the U.S. Grin

Collapse -
you are correct.
by dawillie / May 27, 2006 2:37 PM PDT

it is Memorial Day.

Am ahead of myself and behind in this post.

Calendar [US] would be nice.

Link please.

Collapse -
All you need to know & more about U.S. Holidays ;)
by glenn30 / May 27, 2006 11:05 PM PDT
In reply to: you are correct.

David, right off this is about as comprehensive as any that I found.

Hope this helps... again I want it to be clear that I am only kidding you! I am equally uninformed about Canadian holidays.

Have a great weekend and holiday! Grin

Collapse -
by Shirley R / May 26, 2006 6:34 AM PDT

WXP, SP2, Media Center, HP A1253W

I also have WildTangent on my new HP computer. I did a search on CNET and found this thread. After reading it, I searched "My Computer" for the program but it is not listed in C:\Program Files nor is it listed in Add/Remove Programs. I found Wild Tangent when I clicked on a game in Media Center and the WildTangent End User License Agreement appeared. I declined the offer. Is this why it isn't in the Program Files and Add/Remove Programs? How can I remove it? There are about 20 or more games in Add/Remove and they are all associated with Media Center. Assuming WildTangent hasn't been installed on my computer, will removing the games from Add/Remove Programs get rid of the WildTangent "End User License Agreement"?

I'm at a loss as to how to get rid of this. Your help will be appreciated.

Collapse -
Shirley.. Do you see the ...
by Carol~ Forum moderator 2 / May 26, 2006 7:06 AM PDT
In reply to: WildTangent
Collapse -
WildTangent Web Driver
by Shirley R / May 26, 2006 8:18 AM PDT

Hi Carol:

No the Web Driver isn't in Add/Remove Programs either.

I did a "search" on the computer and it didn't show up there either.

I guess I just need to get rid of the "End User License Agreement", but don't know how to do that. Apparently, WildTangent won't install unless I accept the agreement, and I declined, but it still shows up in Media Player.

Thanks for reply.

Collapse -
Talk about
by murrman / May 26, 2006 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: WildTangent Web Driver

going back in time.What was the price of gas back then.lol!.

Collapse -
Shirley.. I would forget trying to uninstall it..
by Carol~ Forum moderator 2 / May 26, 2006 12:33 PM PDT
In reply to: WildTangent Web Driver

since it looks as though, there's nothing to uninstall. Just my opinion. I don't know what's responsible for the EULA's appearance, but I will try to find something out about it. In the meantime, maybe someone else will have something constructive to add, beside's ''wise-cracks''.

I'll be sure to post back if I find anything useful.

Have a great weekend..

Collapse -
Gas Price. LOL
by Shirley R / May 26, 2006 2:17 PM PDT

Hi Carol:

I don't mind the wise cracks. I didn't notice the date of the original thread until after I posted my question. I guess I should have asked a moderator to remove it and then started a new one.

I will ignore the EULA as you suggested. I know Spybot S&D or AdAware didn't find anything.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
You're welcome, Shirley..
by Carol~ Forum moderator 2 / May 26, 2006 2:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Gas Price. LOL

I wasn't sure about ''the other''. Some people are overly-sensitive to these kind of things. Couple that with someone who might also be a little ''shy'' about posting and you could wind up with one less member. Worse has happened. I guess I don't have to tell you, you've been around CNET long enough to know. Wink I'll still see if I can't find something about it, though. It would be nice, not to see it at all!

Collapse -
Well, it's nice to see
by murrman / May 28, 2006 2:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Gas Price. LOL

you have a sense of humor.Tomron does too.Things get so serious here sometimes so i was just trying to lighten things up.And it was the original date of this thread that caught my eye.Good luck.

Collapse -
Hi murrman
by tomron / May 28, 2006 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Well, it's nice to see

I noticed you don't have an e-mail set up in your profile.

I wanted to ask you a question but was unable to.Are you ever going to set one up.

Collapse -
One other thought..
by Carol~ Forum moderator 2 / May 26, 2006 3:02 PM PDT

If you do want to see if there's a way of harmless checking it, there is a tool you can use here:

Scroll down to ''Alternate link to Wild Tangent Remover''. Not the one above it, which comes from Wild Tangent itself. From what I can see, they are not the same tool I trust ''PC Hell'' way before I do WildTangent itself. I can't promise it will remove the EULA, but it might. Otherwise.. leave it be.

Just a thought..

Collapse -
Thank You Carol..
by Airmiles / January 19, 2008 3:08 AM PST
In reply to: One other thought..

.. Your link helped me and removed wild games!! I tried many things, so thanks!! Happy

Collapse -
Wild Tangent Info Update
by Bugbatter / January 19, 2008 9:15 AM PST
In reply to: Thank You Carol..

This discussion was started almost 4 years ago, and was added to over the years. WildTangent was considered spyware some years ago but is no longer a concern. The executable, update driver, or online games for WildTangent are just fine now.

The only adware problem that remains from WildTangent presently is the digital distribution channel (DDCMan.exe, DDCM or DDCMan). Some HP, Dell, and some other systems that come from retail as pre-installed systems may have the distribution channel still installed.

Collapse -
by tomron / May 26, 2006 2:37 PM PDT
In reply to: WildTangent

Open msconfig and check if you have any of these.

I might have found a way to accomplish in the registry.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.