The CNET Lounge

General discussion

Wii, PS3, or 360?

by adl139 / October 27, 2006 8:03 AM PDT

Wii, PS3, or 360?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wii, PS3, or 360?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wii, PS3, or 360?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Jetsers / October 27, 2006 9:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Wii, PS3, or 360?

PS3 & Wii!

Collapse -
Yeah, me too - PS3 and Wii
by navsimpson / October 27, 2006 1:27 PM PDT
In reply to: 2

They'll fit right perfectly with my solid gold TV Happy Great picture quality, but man is it heavy...

Yes, in an ideal world, I would love to combine the innovation and gameplay I expect from Nintendo and the slick HD-ness of a PS3 - but that's waaaaaay too much money. This Xmas, it'll have to be a Wii and hopefully the PS3 next year...

Collapse -
Wii
by rdriskell / October 31, 2006 2:40 AM PST

Wii all the way!

good price, inovative game play. And although bleeding edge the graphics won't suck!

Most of all I say price.

400 and up is too much to pay for a game system

Collapse -
PS3 and Wii rocks!!!
by nepcker / November 5, 2006 8:43 PM PST

Xbox is crappy - BSODs, thermal issues. It's not good - both graphics and gameplay wise. PS3's the best for grapics, and Wii (or as I like to call it "Nintendo Revolution", as is sounds MUCH cooler) is the best for gameplay.

Collapse -
Tagged "Wii games review"
by Owyn / October 30, 2006 10:08 PM PST
In reply to: Wii
Collapse -
The Wii's brains finally exposed?
by Owyn / October 31, 2006 2:58 AM PST

"Back in August, a set of alleged specs were leaked for the IBM-designed "Broadway" CPU that forms the brains of Nintendo's forthcoming Wii console. I took a look at what the leaked information said about Broadway's microarchitecture, and noted that this exact same information applied to the GameCube's CPU, codenamed Gekko. Because the leaked specs for Broadway were identical for Gekko's specs, I offered the following evaluation:

There are clearly two options here:

1. The MaxConsole specs are someone's idea of a joke.
2. The Wii really is just an overclocked GameCube with a DVD player, in which case the joke's on Nintendo.

It appears that, contrary to what I ultimately concluded in the original post, the correct answer is behind door number two. "

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061031-8112.html

Collapse -
Nintendo's Wii to boast 62 titles by year's end
by Owyn / October 31, 2006 11:01 AM PST

http://msn-cnet.com.com/2100-1043_3-6131330.html?part=rss&tag=6131330&subj=news

Collapse -
Nintendo announces full Wii, Virtual Console games release l
by Owyn / November 1, 2006 12:31 AM PST
Collapse -
I think you would be best off with a Wii
by Jrd3478 / October 27, 2006 11:37 AM PDT

Based on what I can see from your profile you only have an standard definition tv so you cant do HD gaming. You also already have some Nintendo systems so I assume you like Nintendo. Also you already have the Wii on your "want it" list. Finally assuming the 92 at the end of the user name is the year you were born you should be around 14ish so unless you have an after school job you probably don't have much money to spend on games so the inexpensive Wii would be the best choice.

Collapse -
Don't get the Wii!!!!
by sosulle / October 16, 2007 3:21 AM PDT

Hi I had the wii and I thought it was awful.Barely any games,no good online and you will get bored with it eventualy I know I did.Get the Xbox 360 elite or the PS3.Great online(Xbox only),great games.The xbox has great games already.The PS3 will have good games but not as good as the Xbox 360.Because the xbox 360 has loads of exclusives eg.Halo,PGR,Mass effect,Forza and much more.VERDICT:XBOX 360 ELITE OR THE PS3

Collapse -
Apples and Oranges
by DROrr / October 27, 2006 12:02 PM PDT
Collapse -
by RoboticUAV / October 27, 2006 12:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Apples and Oranges

Personally I'd like to get a 360.

Collapse -
Novice/kids system?
by gogomama / November 1, 2006 8:20 AM PST

I'm not really a fan of calling the wii a novice/kids system. Believe me, I game a lot. I have a 360 with plenty of time clocked on it, and I don't even want to count the number of hours clocked in MMOs online. Even so I'm really excited about the Wii. I just look forward to games that are origional and different after so many years of FPS, RTS, racing, and sports games that are, in essence, copies of one another with different skins and slight changes made to them.

I know I'm selling a lot of games short by saying that, and I'm not saying that if you've played one FPS you've played them all, but the fact that so many games are so similar to so many others just drives me nuts. I look forward to the Wii in hopes that with a new controller system we'll see some new innovative games. That's what gets me excited as a gamer.

Collapse -
uhhhh
by vector313 / November 14, 2006 11:19 PM PST

I didnt know kiddies and novices were good at Madden! Especially using real life movements!

Collapse -
wii will win
by wii~rules~ps3~drules / May 14, 2007 2:08 AM PDT
In reply to: uhhhh

the choice is obvious why spend hours setting up a ps3 when not everyone has a hd tv and in reality not everyone can afford the wiii is cheap simple family fun the ps3 and 360 are to big and are at the end of the day normal boring consoles

Collapse -
Wii
by rtemp / October 27, 2006 4:56 PM PDT

If for no other reason, because Nintendo still knows what games are about.

-Ryan

Collapse -
Yeah, me too
by Thunderbuck / October 27, 2006 6:04 PM PDT

Gotta say, I'm with Ryan.

Nintendo has shown more sheer genius in game design than anyone else out there. Kinda like one of those brilliant little indy movie studios that make better movies than the Hollywood blockbusters.

A year ago, when I heard the proposed "Revolution" spec, I was worried that Nintendo wasn't going to keep up with Microsoft and Sony. After hearing how many problems the PS3 is having, I'm beginning to think the big N was right in building a machine for games, and not much else.

I'm going for a Wii. Um, wait... can I rephrase that?

-Brett

Collapse -
Wii vs PS3
by lopez561 / March 3, 2007 9:37 AM PST

I am wondering if the Wii will actually succeed given Nintendo's track record. Both the N64 and Gamecube flopped. XBOX 360 and PS3 are much more powerful systems and are backed by companies that are richer and more powerful than Nintendo. As a Nintendo fan I am just a bit worried that if this system fails, it may be the end of Nintendo. I recently read an article that discusses Nintendo's recent track record http://blogs.routura.com/archives/13#more-13. It doesn't seem like Nintendo has much third party support and the Wii has no HD features.

Well anyway who does everyone think will win this generations console wars?

-Lopez

Collapse -
PS 3 Help
by BShadel5 / March 21, 2007 2:18 PM PDT

I got a PS3 that came with the blu-ray movie Talladega Nights...that means it was one of the first 500,000. Can any1 help me figure out if I should sell it or keep it. My only worry is that the firsts systems had many problems and I don't want to waste the money if I have a broken system which I can do nothing with...serious responses please. I got it from ebay it is still sealed in the box

Collapse -
I have a one of the first PS3
by Kokoro-Kun / June 3, 2007 1:57 PM PDT
In reply to: PS 3 Help

I play it whenever I have the time and the rest of the time, I do folding@Home. so my PS3 never turns off. until now, no problem at all.

and there hasn't been reported PS3 hardware problems at all.

>2. The Wii really is just an overclocked GameCube with a DVD player, in which case the joke's on Nintendo.

psst, sorry to break it to you, Wii doesn't play DVDs. I think if we are lucky, we might see that revolutionary and legendary disc finally be playable on Wii... no, it's not HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. it's CD I'm talking about.

yes, that's right, Wii doesn't even play your regular CDs. Wink

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) First a Wii and then a PS3
by csliva11 / October 28, 2006 2:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
wii
by DonkeyMagic / October 30, 2006 6:29 AM PST

honestly i've never been disappointed with nintendo consoles. the GC didnt get much love but the had some fantastic games, the graphics are underrated and i think a fantastic controller.

I've played alot of xbox and i liked it, but i was never too blown away with the graphics in comparison too GC. But there werent many games on xmbox that really got me too excited. Halo was fun w/ friends, plus if i play a first person shooter i'd rather use my gaming PC.

PS2 was ok. I was never that impressed with it to be honest.

But for me, i am tired of the same old things when it comes to gaming. Especially the last couple 3 years...it just got old, no matter what system i was playing on.

Wii at least offers something new and if nothing else, some fun. I have a gaming PC, so i have all the great graphics i need. Plus, cutting edge technology is neither sufficient or necessary for good games or good consoles. Thats a fact. Yet people still lvoe to focus on it. Personally, I dont really care if i can see sweat dripping off the character, (or whatever). What i do care about is fun and something different and fresh. Wii offers that at at a reasonable price.

Plus, i know the mario game will be fun (they all have been, no matter how much older i get). Zelda is an automatic classic. Metroid will be awesome. Add to the fact that Madden will actually be 'new' (its been boring the last 4 years b/c its the same controlls over and over) and all the countless other innovative ways to use the controller, the wii is a no brainer.

that beiong said, i may get an 360...but after that drop the price some time next year

Collapse -
PC
by robstak / October 30, 2006 3:25 PM PST

then my 360 Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) wii hands down
by garabeki / October 30, 2006 3:27 PM PST
Collapse -
Wii
by Stan0807 / October 30, 2006 10:01 PM PST

Hands down.

Collapse -
Neither
by Darayz / October 31, 2006 12:10 AM PST

The winning console will be the cell phone. That's right . . Bejeweled on the cell phone all the way!!!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) wii60 (wii and 360)
by joshmcgrath / October 31, 2006 5:41 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Me Too, Seriously Wii & 360
by Skeeteron_mypeter / October 31, 2006 7:44 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) PSWii60
by Jrd3478 / November 1, 2006 7:03 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.