Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Wifi won't stay connected for any length of time.

by chasahomyjr / June 21, 2009 3:11 AM PDT

Not exactly sure what the problem is here, but, my wireless doesn't stay connected for more than an hour or so before it boots me offline. I have been trying the Windows 7 network troubleshooting and all it can muster is a vague explanation. I have to reboot constantly now in order to reset my Wifi card. When I was at the Tech Net site the other day I found out I am not the only person having this problem, but, there were no explanations as to the cause or a fix. Even System Mechanic can't figure it out and I just wasted thirty dollars on that this morning. When I was using Vista I could stay connected for weeks on end without dropping.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wifi won't stay connected for any length of time.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wifi won't stay connected for any length of time.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No make or model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2009 7:16 AM PDT

We do have such posts in our networking forum and the usual fix is to swap in a new wifi laptop card, clean the laptop vents. But details are far too slim in your post.

Collapse -
Spec etc.
by chasahomyjr / June 21, 2009 10:35 PM PDT
In reply to: No make or model.

My laptop is an HP dv7-1000x, manufacture date 11/2008. It has an Atheros AR5009 WiFi adapter. I received it from HP as a replacement for a laptop that had a faulty video card, evidently it had some kind of problem even they couldn't figure out, probably a bad transistor somewhere. This morning I noticed the Microsoft WiFi miniport adapter was disabled and I reenabled it and had it search for an updated driver, nothing was found.

Collapse -
Make it their problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2009 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Spec etc.

I'm finding instances where the owners are not calling it in and instead think its a setting. My experience is that we are more often than not disabling the on-board card to slip in a PC-Card to take over the job.

Your post only gave a little more detail so let me summarize our Networking forum guide to 3 items:

1. Latest router firmware.
2. Default router settings.
3. WPA for security.

As to today's electronic gear repair I see most companies can't replace a transistor. They do not have engineering staff to do that level of repair. They now have technicians that swap boards according to a diagnostic flowchart.

Collapse -
by chasahomyjr / June 22, 2009 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Make it their problem.

My router is a D-link DIR 655, the firmware was just updated a week ago to the newest one D-Link has on their website. As far as securing it, I use a 22 character key for most everything. The only piece that doesn't are the three smartphones, since windows mobile 6.1 only allows 18 characters there is a separate key and port setup in the router so they can have access. There are a total of two desktops, one hardwired in at all times, one wireless. Three laptops, all wireless. At any given time there are usually no more than three or four computers using it.

Collapse -
That sounds like WEP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2009 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: update

WEP is subject to interference from what we call "KIDDIE SCRIPTS" and a "swat" tool. With just two clicks using software I will never name, I can swat a WEP connection down. Then with another click hijack that connection.

Because of such software, WEP is dead. And "MAC FILTERS" do not work here since the tools simply mimic or spoof that address.

-> Again, we cover this in our networking forum.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.