Computer Help forum

General discussion

WiFi signal booster

by Bill Fredette / December 20, 2009 1:03 AM PST

I have WiFi were I live, but a weak signal strength. I have a laptop with Intel(R) Pro Wireless 3945ABG network connection. Is there a wireless booster I can buy to increase this signal strength?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WiFi signal booster
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WiFi signal booster
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not for the laptop but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2009 2:26 AM PST
In reply to: WiFi signal booster
Collapse -
Two catches
by Bam421 / December 20, 2009 7:06 AM PST
In reply to: Not for the laptop but

1. The signal booster has to be placed somewhere between the router and where you use your laptop, and

2. Are you stealing this WiFi signal? If so, you are breaking the law, and I would suggest for you to stop.(Yes, I know of plenty of people who have wireless for their whole apartment building, etc.)

Collapse -
WiFi Booster
by Bill Fredette / December 20, 2009 9:16 AM PST
In reply to: Two catches

Number 1, I'm not stealing the signal. Number 2 I don't have a router. So I guess we are back to square 1. Can I buy a WiFi booster to help my laptop, without a router, and I'm not stealing the signal.

Collapse -
Yes
by Bam421 / December 20, 2009 9:25 AM PST
In reply to: WiFi Booster

By "router" I meant whatever is broadcasting the signal. For example, if you lived in an apartment, the router may be stationed in a common area. Ask whoever is providing the signal for you where it is. After you know where it is, you need to place the booster somewhere inside its range that has a good signal, so it can rebroadcast that signal which should get to you in good condition.

And sorry about the stealing thing, it seems any illegal activity is highly condemned on these forums.

Collapse -
WiFi booster
by Bill Fredette / December 20, 2009 9:37 AM PST
In reply to: Yes

O.K. I didn't mean to imply a bad thing. Is there a specific booster I should purchase? Again I can't attach anything to the repeater as it is up 50 feet in the air.

Collapse -
50 feet is well withing most WAP ranges.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2009 10:55 AM PST
In reply to: WiFi booster

Research the CANTENNA and use some other card with that for a boost in distance.

Your story is too light to not share the usual fixes such as router antennas and powerline extenders.
Bob

Collapse -
WiFi Booster
by Bill Fredette / December 20, 2009 10:20 PM PST

I did look at this as a option. How will this interact with the built in WiFi card installed on my laptop?

Collapse -
I disable the onboard wifi
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2009 10:22 PM PST

When I use that I don't use the onboard card.

But it begs the question why you can't improve the source or install some powerline bridge.
Bob

Collapse -
WiFi Booster
by Bill Fredette / December 20, 2009 10:46 PM PST

The source is a repeater up 50 feet. The signal is a free service provided by my condo associaction.

The second part of your solution is probably the answer I'm looking for. Is this "powerline bridge" what I need knowing my situation? I have no external modom, router, or USB device in use now. Just my internal WiFi card.

Collapse -
next time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2009 11:10 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.