Networking & Wireless forum

Resolved Question

Wifi signal and speed

by hmongvue / December 2, 2012 9:49 AM PST

I have a d-link 655 extreme router. I need better signal and speed.

I can't get much signal through out the whole house and outside of the house. So I have been suggested to use powerline bridges. One place down stairs and one place upstairs. Any recommendations for which powerline bridges to get? I was looking at the netgear 500 nano.

Which one would work better?
repeater?
extender?
powerline bridge?

There is even a thought of using powerline bridge and another router for extender(access point).

Any help????

Now with the speed. Whenever I restart my router I usually get speeds of 150mpbs but after a hour or less, I just get 65mpbs. Any help or input about this? Or is it normal?

hmongvue has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wifi signal and speed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wifi signal and speed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by hmongvue

Collapse -
I've done that powerline and router as a WAP trick.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2012 3:38 PM PST
In reply to: Wifi signal and speed

It's very nice. HOWEVER sometimes you find folk that have everything on WiFi. WiFi is shared access so that space gets crowded quickly.

As to speeds of 65 or higher, it's rare to see an internet connection that high so faster shouldn't get you more speed from the internet.
Bob

Collapse -
powerline and router
by hmongvue / December 3, 2012 9:07 AM PST

Would you recommend it or any other set ups?

As of right now I have 2 laptops, 3 dvd, 1 tablet, and 2 phones that usually use the wifi.

So just so I know correctly, 65 is pretty normal for wifi speed? I am just curious because I notice when I first restart my router 150 will stay on for awhile then will drop down to 65 and it'll just start there until I restart my router again.

Collapse -
re:
by hmongvue / December 3, 2012 1:37 PM PST
In reply to: powerline and router

Any more suggestions, ideas, etc..

Anything that will help is greatly appreciated!!

Collapse -
The speed drop could be some device is pulling it back to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 2:08 PM PST
In reply to: powerline and router

802.11g speed. Even a second router as a WAP could double the available WiFi bandwidth. Just select different channels (about 4 or more channels apart) and it will ease the congestion.
Bob

Collapse -
Speed drop
by hmongvue / December 4, 2012 11:59 AM PST

Umm.. Never thought about that. I am currently running N instead of G or mixed. It the speed be pulled back by interface with neighbors wifi? I just checked and 2 of my neighbors decided to run on the same channel as mine. So I am going to change it to see if it helps.

Also you mention you did or current use router --> powerline bridge ---> powerline ->router(AP). How is that running? I am trying to decided on which powerline bridge to get and start with 2 to see how well it works before getting more or even if I need more.

Collapse -
The powerline bridges and router as WAPs are all fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2012 1:59 PM PST
In reply to: Speed drop

There's not much to write except folk seem to want long discussions about it. I hope you understand it's a classic solution that's been around for years but you don't see it often because of the cost and the ONE THING that can trip it up. Ready? The bridge units have to be on the same AC circuit or 'side'. I can't teach electronics in this space but in short, this is a great solution.

My bet is if the units are connecting to what you have, the second router as a WAP may be all you need to get some relief.
bob

Collapse -
RE:
by hmongvue / December 4, 2012 3:21 PM PST

Thanks for the information and suggestions. I will most likely get another router and play around with it and see how it goes. Maybe get powerline bridges too.

Thank you!

Collapse -
Wifi ac
by edimer1 / April 23, 2015 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: RE:
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.