Tablets forum

Question

WIFI ROUTER

by Maine_Girl1 / April 1, 2013 2:55 AM PDT

We are looking to buy a tablet or a Kindle. We already have an internet account with Time Warner but don't want to set up and end up with another account.

What would be a good router and how would we set it up so we don't end up with 2 accounts instead of 1?We won't be taking our tablet of Kindle out. We are just using it so when one of us is on the pc the other can use the kindle or tablet for when we want to read email from Google or Roadrunner and listen to music and play games.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WIFI ROUTER
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WIFI ROUTER
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
A little confuser.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2013 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: WIFI ROUTER

I have never had to add accounts to Roadrunner to use a router and other devices. Maybe there's more to this question but so far I plug in a WiFi router only when the ISP (roadrunner) didn't offer WiFi.
Bob

Collapse -
Router for WIFI
by Maine_Girl1 / April 1, 2013 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: A little confuser.

I am not as computer safy as a lot of people so I wanted to make sure I get the right kind of router and that when I sent up the table or Kindle that I don't mess up and create a second account under Time Warner. Where do you plug in the router since we have a box for our roadrunner high speed??? Thanks for your suggestions. Very Helpful.

Collapse -
While it should not result in a new account.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2013 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Router for WIFI

If you feel that a router is not user friendly then you should return it. Or ask another family member that has set this up to set yours up. Keep in mind that I can't make it any simpler than it is. That is, the install notes for a router are what I use.
Bob

Collapse -
Router
by Maine_Girl1 / April 1, 2013 11:24 PM PDT

Thanks for your assistance.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I have a $15 Tenda wireless-N router
by wpgwpg / April 1, 2013 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: WIFI ROUTER

My $15 Tenda wireless-N router works fine with 4 desktops, one laptop, and a Kindle Fire here at home. Bear in mind that if you buy a Kindle, you're pretty much limited to apps you get from Amazon. It's fine for e-books you get from other places, but it's fairly proprietary for apps.

Collapse -
Unsure about this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2013 3:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks for the reminder, Bob
by wpgwpg / April 1, 2013 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Unsure about this.

I've read about changing those KF settings before, but always avoided that because (1) Amazon recommends against it (probably for mostly selfish reasons) and (2) I've got pretty much what I want/need using the apps I got from Amazon. With maybe 1 or 2 exceptions I never paid over 99 cents for an app, so I must say I'm very happy with my Kindle Fire; and I'm extremely glad I didn't go out and blow $600 or $700 on an iPad like a few folks I know did! 95% of the time I use my Windows 7 laptop with a 15" screen and like it a whole lot better, but then I don't travel much. You can't beat the portability or battery life of the tablets, they're great for spider solitaire too. Grin

Collapse -
The office suppled other tablets
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2013 4:23 AM PDT

I can't list them all but the KF HD 7 is one we bought for home. The office picked out the Nexus 7, a transformer tf300 w/dock+keyboard and some others. It's been a blast to try them all and frankly I can't jump ship yet. Back to my laptop.
Bob

Collapse -
WIFI
by Maine_Girl1 / April 1, 2013 9:34 AM PDT

Thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
WIFI
by Maine_Girl1 / April 1, 2013 9:34 AM PDT

Thanks so much for your info. Greatly appreciated.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.