Laptops forum

General discussion

WiFi Connection on Netbook

by nino079 / March 2, 2010 10:34 AM PST

I just bought a 7" brand new netbook with WiFi capability, but no matter what hotspots I go to, my machine will not connect. The manual says to click on WiFi icon, but it allows me only to turn the WiFi power ON and OFF. I go to network connection, and it's empty; I go to Control Panel/Internet Options/ and shows only Internet Options for User Agent: Default (same as Windows XP; Same as Pocket PC and Windows CE. I click on Windows CE, since it's the machine's OS. Still won't connect to WiFi. So, I go to Network and Dial-Up Connections and it shows: ADSL, Active Sync, 3G Modem, and GETCE681. Since I'm looking to connect via WiFi, I see no option for me to use. Can you help?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WiFi Connection on Netbook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WiFi Connection on Netbook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2010 12:42 PM PST

You have a warranty issue. It sounds dead.

Collapse -
by creedman7 / April 16, 2010 12:11 AM PDT

Hello, have you checked device manager to see if the wireless card shows up? Or that maybe it is disabled?

Collapse -
wifi connection
by jjrabbit2000 / June 27, 2010 3:52 AM PDT

I have the same problem -- how did you resolve it? Thanks.

Collapse -
Reading this later. I wonder.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2010 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: wifi connection

I wonder if they picked up that 7 inch AUGEN WINDOWS CE UNIT.

I have one and it was not as easy as it should be.

Collapse -
Wifi Icon
by BobbyJacoby / December 27, 2011 7:57 AM PST
In reply to: wifi connection

I have purchased three of the smartbooks for my kids for Christmas. None of these computers have the wifi icon in the bottom right hand corner to search for a wireless network. Just wondering if anyone has found the solution to this problem. My kids are really bummed over this. Can someone please help?

Collapse -
Sadly no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2011 1:13 AM PST
In reply to: Wifi Icon

No make, model or links so any guess would be a bad one.

Try making a new post in the CNET Computer Help Forum and add the needed details so the first reply is not asking "What is it?"

Collapse -
7" netbook WIFI
by someone1954 / July 7, 2010 3:22 PM PDT

I purchased one of the. Since the specs, (and most likely the quality control) are all over the place, this may not help. Right click on the battery icon in the taskbar. You should get a screen with the stats and a line saying "Option" left click options. Then click on the WIFI power to turn it off. Then repeat to turn WIFI power on again. This has worked for me. Quirky little things. Fortunately, when I bought a cheap netbook, I was expecting a cheap netbook. I like it so far. Just very quirky.

Collapse -
me too...
by yellowrainwomble / November 7, 2011 3:58 AM PST

to be fair... it is a cheap netbook.... my one anyway.... and in the description when i baught it on ebay... it did say that the wifi is a bit slow, and doesnt always connect... BUT... mine will not connect at all.... :/

it gets stuck on "associated with sky..." and then sometimes it will connect - get me all excited and then it changes its mind again...

really dont know what to do... did you fix yours in the end?...

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.