Computer Help forum

Wifi and LAN randomly disconnects?

by iamgrandma123 / August 27, 2012 2:37 PM PDT

I have a HP Pavilion dv6. Notebook PC.
I am NOT tech savvy at all, so please explain simply. Thanks!

I've had my laptop for about 7 months and starting 3 days ago, I've been having wifi problems. I would be on the internet, and then randomly, i get a message that says Wifi: Disconnected. And then I'm no longer able to use the internet. And then a few hours later, I would randomly get a message that says Wifi: connected. It's now happening more often that my wifi is disconnected and for a longer period of time. Now, I'm also getting the message that says LAN disconnected. Please helpp!!!

I'm freaking out if I have a virus or something because my brother has an HP laptop as well and he doesnt have any problems.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wifi and LAN randomly disconnects?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wifi and LAN randomly disconnects?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Look at...
by Willy / August 27, 2012 4:43 PM PDT

HP model DV6xxx tend to have heat issues. If you've noticed it may have been hot, not just warm to the touch. If that's the case, your wifi card(within) is starting to fail. -OR- simply your wifi connection will do to signal strength drop now and then depending on your location.

If you think you have a virus why not scan for that. Run the AV scan and check results, just be sure it's updated for latest threats.

Since, you also had this laptop for 7mos. and if the problem continues and is a result of heat stress, your warranty should cover that.

HP also has its support depending on what you have covered. They also provide a forum at their support website, check link. They should provide quick checks or tests to verify status.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Willy noted the usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2012 2:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Cheron_HP HP staff / September 24, 2012 7:14 AM PDT

Hi iamgrandma123,
I work for HP and you mentioned that the notebook is only 7 months old. Have you contacted HP regarding the wireless connection? If you need further assistance regarding this please email me your contact and product information to Please include Attn: Veronica-Cnet in the subject line.
"The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP"

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.