Computer Help forum

Question

Wifi Adaptor failure

by JLee9001 / January 18, 2013 1:25 PM PST

My Dell Inspiron N4010 is about 1.5 years old. Recently my wifi adaptors are malfunctioning. It can happen randoming during use but most often happens after I first turn it on or awake it form sleep mode. Resetting my Laptop or putting it to sleep and waking it up can help fix the wifi but it's a crapshoot.

When the wifi adaptors fail to work the troubleshooter sometimes doesn't find any adaptors connected and the device manager doesn't show them as being connected either. As such, attempting to reset the adaptors becomes impossible.

All drivers have been updated, all adaptors are enabled.

*On a side note, I am also having the exact same problem with my speakers. First the left and now both as well as the integrated microphone.

Advice?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wifi Adaptor failure
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wifi Adaptor failure
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
wifi
by shahidsaif1 / January 18, 2013 8:35 PM PST
In reply to: Wifi Adaptor failure

the wifi is creating the different problem when i am working on my computer.

Collapse -
Answer
Sounds As Though The Motherboard Drivers/Chipset....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 19, 2013 1:06 AM PST
In reply to: Wifi Adaptor failure

...need to be updated.. I'd first check the Dell site to see if there's something new posted for the chipset.. If not there, then check the motherboard site.

If you've already done that, the motherboard may be failing entirely because you've mentioned two or three different failures occurring at the same time. Heat from game playing can cause such in 2 year old machines. If it were only the wireless adapter, we fix such by simply replacing the previous adapter with a new USB, external, wireless adapter.. Disable the previous/original adapter and enable the new one.. Fixed.. But since you're also having issues with speakers and microphones, then an overall main board failure is probably the cause.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks!
by JLee9001 / January 20, 2013 12:09 PM PST

I'm not a gamer outside of flash games but I do do a metric ton of skyping. Additional information, when I plug external speakers or earbuds into my laptop they don't register any sound either. However, my volume mixer acknowledges sound is playing, I just can;t hear it. Are these things indicitive of motherboard failure as well?

Collapse -
Think Of Where All Those Devices Plug Into
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 21, 2013 4:43 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!

On laptops, sound cards, video cards, wifi adapters, etc. are generally integrated to the motherboard.. It makes it difficult to test each one separately as the overall motherboard may be the culprit. If there is an updated motherboard/chipset driver at the motherboard manufacturer's site, then we give it a try.. If not, then we replace it.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.