Samsung forum

General discussion

Wide Fit and Screen fit are greyed out

by hfylactou / December 20, 2009 1:54 AM PST

I just bought a new Samsung LCD 32inch but the picture quality is not very good. I feel like the reason is because I should have the tv set to screen fit or wide fit but I can't choose these options.

I called Samsung and they have suggested reseting the tv, which I did, but the options are still not available. Does anyone have any input in how I should fix this problem?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wide Fit and Screen fit are greyed out
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wide Fit and Screen fit are greyed out
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 20, 2009 6:56 AM PST

hfylactou,

Are you using an HDMI cable when it's greyed out?

--HDTech

Collapse -
by Fgdiaz / January 20, 2010 2:45 PM PST

SamsungTech - I'm having the exact same issue. and yes, i am using an HDMI cable.

Thanks.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 24, 2010 2:29 PM PST

Fgdiaz,

Not all of the picture options are available with an HDMI connection, and that's because the digital representation is a strict pixel-by-pixel formation. In most cases, there is a Standard mode and a Zoom mode, and those are the only options with a digital connection.

If the signal was analog (component, composite, etc), you would have more options to adjust the size and aspect ratios, and those options would be available and not greyed out.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by shantijacob / January 25, 2010 12:23 AM PST

I am having the same problem on LN52B750 and I am using the componet cable

Collapse -
Wide Zoom /Zoom1/Zoom2
by mike_yoshida / February 2, 2010 8:01 AM PST
Collapse -
Wide Zoom /Zoom1/Zoom2
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 7, 2010 8:13 AM PST
In reply to: Wide Zoom /Zoom1/Zoom2

mike_yoshida,

It's not a "stock answer" as much as it has to do with what each input can do. Some of the options are available on an analog connection, while digital connections don't have all the same options.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Series 360/361 manual
by jbanks--2008 / February 20, 2010 9:41 AM PST
In reply to: Wide Zoom /Zoom1/Zoom2

Screen Fit and Wide Fit seem to be available with an HDMI cable if the content is 720i or 1080i. I noticed that it is grayed out if the content is 480i.

Is there a mode available that keeps the center aspect ratio as normal, but stretches to fill in the edges beyond 4:3? My Sony WEGA CRT had that feature. Non HD content didn't look so distorted.

Collapse -
Wide Fit and Screen Fit stopped working
by Oroschakoff / February 27, 2010 8:17 AM PST

I bought a LN37B650T1F in the fall and the various screen sizes were available for all channels. Then I got the DVR service from Comcast and suddenly all non-HDTV channels are only showing in a box (rather than a wide screen fit) mode. There doesn't seem to be any way to fix this -- I have tried everything in the user manual. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Wide Fit and Screen Fit
by daduck99 / September 3, 2010 6:32 AM PDT

I have Dish and the technician who installed my reciever set the output to 480i instead of 1080i on the HD reciever. Once I changed it the screen fit and widescreen options were not greyed out anymore.

Collapse -
by bon_appetit / February 8, 2012 10:43 PM PST

Hi,

Collapse -
COMCAST cable setting
by user2010dc / January 21, 2014 6:21 AM PST

Similar to the posting by bon_appetit, I realized there was an HD button on my Comcast remote. I toggeled it and the picture size on my Samsung corrected itself. Good luck all.

Collapse -
How to gain access to all Samsung picture settings
by avramd / September 3, 2012 3:52 AM PDT

Samsungs often have a behavior where one setting somewhere causes other settings to be greyed out. In other cases it depends on the input signal. Additionally, they frequently come with the "sharpness" setting somewhere funny, which messes up a computer's display image. Here are details on each:

Input Signal:

This is one example - with my MacBook connected to HDMI 3, the Picture Size "Screen Fit" option is not available, and this is the one you need - where it the input displays dot-for-dot on the panel. It turned out that my Mac was sending a 1080p signal (as it should be), but the Samsung would only show the other options if the input signal was 1080i (or 720p). So if you temporarily switch to one of those output modes, you will be able to select the settings you want. Then you can switch back to the correct output mode, and settings you are not allowed to change will still remember the values you set when you were allowed to change them.

Picture Mode:

Many Samsung TV's will grey-out most of their settings options if the picture mode is not Standard. Some will have one or two modes besides Standard that allow extra settings. Game mode and Movie mode are sometimes ones that will allow extra settings. Again as above, switch to a mode that allows you to make the settings you want, then switch back to the mode you want, and those settings should "stick" even if you can't change them any more.

Sharpness:

This is separate from the greyed-out options issue, but related to the fact that computer output often looks terrible on an otherwise great Samsung TV. Frequently as Samsung TV will not have its "Sharpness" at the default. When sharpness is turned "up" (higher number than default, or indicator to the right of default), the TV will munge the picture to make it "better" from a standpoint of watching a TV show. But anything different than default is worse for text. Try the middle setting, and if that isn't better than anything else than try the left most or lowest setting.

Collapse -
Re: Picture Settings
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 4, 2012 2:52 AM PDT

Hey avramd,

In order for the community here to help you more quickly, please provide for us the complete model code for this device.

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
no help needed
by avramd / September 4, 2012 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Picture Settings

I am not asking for help. I am providing an answer to a common question that affects many Samsung TV's, and is not adequately explained here or anywhere else. There are many models of TV that this answer applies to, I do not know most of them.

Collapse -
How to gain access to all Samsung picture settings
by Jesssta / November 16, 2014 9:53 PM PST

@avramd - thank you. I have spent all day trying to figure out how to eliminate the fuzzy text with 1:1 pixel mapping. I couldn't figure out why the 1080p TV was mucking around with the display, when I am feeding a native 1080p screen resolution into it.
Thank you VERY much for such a great explanation.

Collapse -
Samsung 6300
by Jazzman1222 / December 1, 2013 5:28 AM PST

I had the same problem, however, no support from Samsung and all they do is tell you that you need a new HDMI cable or new Blu-Ray player ..... they are full of excuses as to why their flat screens are junk ..... I took mine back, TWICE and finally got a Sony and everything works fine.

Better picture, everything works and costs less too. My suggestion ..... take it back Samsung sucks and my Sony is a wonderful TV and works incredible!

Collapse -
Thanks!
by antlisa / October 12, 2014 1:25 AM PDT

Thanks for the info, this fixed the problem
like a charm!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.