Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Wi-fi finder

by ronduke / September 20, 2007 11:45 PM PDT

Has anybody with a laptop ever used a wi-fi finder? If so, what were your results? and what brand was it? Supposedly, they will show the strength of signal if w-fi is sort of close by...maybe 400 - 500 yards (i assume sort of like the 'bars' on a cell phone). Also, about what was the price?
Thanks
ron

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wi-fi finder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wi-fi finder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this
by Steven Haninger / September 21, 2007 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Wi-fi finder
Collapse -
Sure, I've got one
by ChuckT / September 23, 2007 3:25 PM PDT

I think I got it for a bit under $20.

It shows the strength of the signal, with the number of LEDs that illuminate.

What it doesn't show you is if the signal is secured, meaning you will still have to fire up the laptop to check that out.

Also, it doesn't show you what the direction is that the signal is coming from. You may think that is a "no brainer" just by walking around a bit, to see what corner of a room the signal is stronger, but not so. Just because you have a stronger signal in one corner of a room does not indicate that the direction must be from 'there' because perhaps the general room shielding and other influences are affecting the signal in the actual closest corner.

I think there are some newer technologies for WiFi finders that may help through the above stated issues, but I am not made of money. I can use my laptop to see if a signal, its name, and if security is enabled.

Collapse -
The LED things are junk
by tek-ed / September 28, 2007 8:34 PM PDT

I have a Canary HotSpotter and while more expensive than those LED junk things, it's worth it in the long run...
Sure, you can just fire up your laptop and find a wireless network that way..but if you're war-driving it's very bad to be on your laptop and driving at the same time, especially if you're driving around a residential neighborhood...running over a kid will ruin your life!
Also, I don't know about you, but when I'm traveling, I need all my laptop battery power for production work...not searching for wireless access points.
Also, sometimes I don't want to lug out my laptop just to find that there is no hotspot there.
And while most smartphones now have WiFi, again...I need my phone batery power for phone stuff...I can't risk losing any phone power while I'm traveling!
So a Canary HotSpotter that runs for a month on 2 AAA batteries is perfect for me!
Ed
web/gadget guru

Collapse -
That CANARY is nice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2007 11:24 PM PDT

Just sharing that I use my wifi capable PDA but it's not as easy as a CANARY.

Bob

Collapse -
Wi Fi Finder
by gettin' older / September 28, 2007 11:33 PM PDT

I've looked at those too and think they probably do work just fine since they are a simple device. However, I've not bought one 'cause my laptop can do the very same thing for me. The wifi adapter in it finds the signal and connects and shows me the strength. I have an external adapter too (currently using an Airlink 101) which is more powerful than the internal one. A few times I've wished I had a finder when I didn't have my laptop in the car with me, but really, most times that I want to find a signal, I've got the laptop with me ready to be used so that works for me.

Collapse -
just a thought
by scod4025 / September 30, 2007 5:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Wi Fi Finder

OK just to start this is illegal (most people don't know this) if you don't have the persons/companies consent its the same as hacking a server(not the tower just the access). I know got charged with it. But you can buy a tower(about $50) that will boost the connection to find WiFi so you can be 1 mile away if you need a connection go near a internet cafe mostly free and don't check all of their connections if you find a hot spot ask the people in the neighborhood most people will let you use their internet if your not using it all up for games or running your whole house off it but just to check email or send business info most people are nice about it most airports and hotels/motels have free WiFi but have to be a paying costumer ask and you shall receive the passwords some gaming stores have hot spots for a cheap fee (like 5 dollars a month)find a nation wide one (game stop ?)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.