TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Why wouldn't a DVR work with a roof antenna?

by cappykelly / September 16, 2009 6:41 AM PDT

I have a roof antenna, a new digital tv, and get a picture just fine. But I need to be able to time shift record.

I purchased a panasonic combo vcr/dvd recorder-player. I THOUGHT I'd be able to record on vhs as before, but, no, will not record anything digital (and of course now eerything is digital). So that leaves the dvd, which I'm trying to figure out if I can record there okay.

But I am wondering about DVR's (or is there a DVR DVD combo?) I have asked 5 people (including Geek Squad) and they say I would not be able to use a DVR as it would be looking for a signal from my cable or satellite company-- and I have no such company.

Why can't a DVR record from my antenna?
One person said because it's not a digital antenna?

I just don't grasp this. Just wondering.

Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why wouldn't a DVR work with a roof antenna?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why wouldn't a DVR work with a roof antenna?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes you can
by givemeaname / September 16, 2009 8:33 AM PDT

yes a few companies make HHD/DVD-R players (Later this year you will start to see one's with Bluray also) that can record from an antenna. Even cable or Sat companies DVR's can do this too, I have done it with my own DVR from dishnetwork.

so this would just be for OTA only right? Yes just get one that has a built-in digital tuner.

Do not trust 'Geek Squad'!!!

For the DVD-R player you have now, need a model number or link to it.

Collapse -
Thanks
by cappykelly / September 18, 2009 9:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes you can

Thanks for your reply.

So a dvr can be used with antenna! OK. It is so confusing the information out there, and people "in the know" often are not in the know...

The Panasonic combo vcr/dvd is dmr-ez485v

I have been able to record on the dvd but it's a pain in that you can only watch one channel at a time and fast forwarding sure is shaky compared to the old vhs tapes.
Now the picture is great, yes.
But some odd things, like when you've played something and turn it off, it leaves the TV on. Whereas when you play it, it turns the TV on (but not off).

I dunno, just seems like a pain in general.

And very slow to do anything.

If I wait might there be some better solutions?
I have my little old analog Tv and Sony vcr which I can watch with "broadcast cable." Not the "quality of the other setup" but sure is ease of use.

(BTW I have one of those dial vcr's and you don't have to turn on the tv at all to program it. You just go to the unit, push and turn the dial, and there you go-- in seconds you've programmed several programs on different stations with no problem.)

Which brings up another question... if I keep the broadcast cable line, I gather it has an analog signal. So it would not work with the digital tv, would it?

I may return all things digital til I'm more ready to cope with them, is why I ask.

Thanks!

Collapse -
That's how I feel about cell phone, hehe.
by ahtoi / September 19, 2009 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Yes..the cell; I don't own one and I don't touch them if I can help it. They are too small and complicated to program.

Technology is constantly moving forward and it's not going back. So if we need to use it then we just have to learn it. It's our choice.

Collapse -
Yes if the DVR has
by givemeaname / September 19, 2009 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

A built-in digital tuner you can record from an anntena, not all do but most do.

Reading on your DVD-r player yes lots of people say it is buggy and has it problems but it can record OTA and it has a good built-in digital tuner.

Collapse -
DVRs that record to hard drive?
by cappykelly / September 19, 2009 9:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes if the DVR has

But I should be able to get one of these that will work with my setup, yes? I hear these are easier to use than recording on a dvd disc.

Truth or fiction? Wink

Collapse -
Don't buy panasonic
by lahinch44 / October 6, 2009 5:15 AM PDT

Panasonic ez28 ---did all the things that I read on the forums, i.e.: froze at 0.00 and had to reset; when scheduling timer, the 2nd show scheduled wipes out the first show scheduled; freezes at other times and need to unplug or reset to start from zero; only taped about half the time and other times, even though the "taping" icon appears on unit, when you want to reply it shows "nothing taped". It goes back to Best Buy today. Still looking for reliable DVR with no VCR combo that will tape from antenna/OTA. frustrated.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.