Samsung forum

Why won't my Samsung BD-D5300 Blu Ray connect to Internet?

by coreywoodruff / June 17, 2011 11:27 PM PDT

I bought a Samsung BD-D5300 Blu Ray player yesterday and am having issues getting it to connect to the Internet. By manually entering the following IP settings, I can get it to connect to my network but not to the Internet.

DNS: (my ISP's primary DNS, I get the same problem with their secondary)

I am using a WIRED connection, not wireless. The wire tests good, I can plug a laptop into it and access the Internet fine.

I am using a Netgear N300 router. DHCP is enabled. I have reserved the above IP address for the Blu Ray use and can see that nothing else on the network is using that address.

It seems to me that this is a DNS issue or some sort of firewall problem in the router since the Blu Ray can see the router but not the Internet.

Any ideas, folks?

Thanks in advance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why won't my Samsung BD-D5300 Blu Ray connect to Internet?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why won't my Samsung BD-D5300 Blu Ray connect to Internet?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Odd thing that firewall in the router.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2011 1:40 AM PDT

Those didn't exist a few years ago. Can I ask why you would firewall a TV or DVD player today?

Collapse -
No firewall.
by coreywoodruff / June 18, 2011 2:29 AM PDT

I've found that there is no firewall in the router. Still won't connect though. What gives?

Collapse -
I see this is not a stock setup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2011 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: No firewall.

"I have reserved the above IP address"

I am left to guess why this was done. We have other ideas in the CNET NETWORKING Forum but the details are slim here. Country, ISP, why that reservation as well as why not the out of the box simple as can be, what average joe would use.

Collapse -
BOB's Right
by Mr Shaun Warburton / June 19, 2011 2:43 AM PDT

I agree with BOB, Why would you reserve an IP Address then turn o DHCP surly that is DHCP's Job it automatically assigns IP addresses

Collapse -
Reserved, working
by coreywoodruff / June 19, 2011 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: BOB's Right

It's working after a reboot of the router. Still unsure what the issue was.

I reserved the IP since I had to set the IP manually in the Blu Ray settings. By reserving it in the router I knew that no other device on the network would grab it (laptops, Wii etc) and therefore eliminated one possible reason for the disconnect.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.