Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Why won;t my McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2010 install????

by acemoose / November 3, 2009 12:33 AM PST

I've been happily using McAfee for at least 8 yrs -- no problem installing-- runs fine.

I have a new McAfee Anti Virus Plus 2010 ("protects up to 3 PC's"), and tried to install it 4 different times. It looked for old programs, cleared them out, and then installed itself-- but.....Each time the install finished it came up as "Failed". I downloaded and ran the suggested McAfee utility (from their website) and it cleared my IP stack and DNS cache ("to resolve issues which may be caused by malicious software or incorrect configuration") Everything was cleared-- I tried to reinstall McAfee and again, got the "Failed" messages.

So I went back to my McAfeee 2009 -- it installed just FINE and is running just FINE.

Why can't I install McAfee 2010???

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why won;t my McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2010 install????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why won;t my McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2010 install????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could it be??
by Carol~ Forum moderator / November 3, 2009 2:41 AM PST

acemoose..

A possibility to consider, with a lot of "if's" involved. If your original product was pre-installed by the manufacturer of your computer, and if you didn't activate your new subscription before uninstalling the old one, see the "Important Note" in the document, which contains the download for the MCPR tool. I question whether the above, would manifest itself, with a "failed" error. Confused

Another "if". If your failure error is unrelated to the above, I'm sure Grif will see your post and know why. He's our resident McAfee expert. The McAfee Support forum is in the process of being upgraded, and is supposed to be back up tomorrow. No doubt there would be some information to be had there. With that said, I'm sure Grif will be able to help, once he sees your post.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Was unable to activate subscription
by acemoose / November 3, 2009 3:37 AM PST
In reply to: Could it be??

Which I thought was strange -- however, I figured that perhaps once the McAf was installed, THEN I'd be prompted to go to the McAf website to enter my registration code.

And no, no problem with the original install -- I've had this puter for about 4 years and have had that many Mc Af's installed, one each year, with absolutely no problem.

I see that the McAf Support Forum is down temporarily.

The plot thickens.

Thanks for the info, Carol.

Collapse -
Perhaps the "note" was an important one?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / November 3, 2009 5:53 AM PST

I don't know what's preventing you from registering, but it may be relevant, as noted in the document. I would think if you installed any new software, which is on McAfee's List of Incompatible Applications, you wouldn't have been able to reinstall your former version. Did you try installing it in safe mode?

There's no point in my "grasping at straws", when I'm sure you'll get the help you need.

Carol

Collapse -
The Key Is Removing All Previous Antivirus Programs
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 3, 2009 6:21 AM PST

It's possible you're being blocked from the McAfee servers too. Try this to see if you can reach the download servers: Go to Start/Run and enter cmd. in the Command Prompt windows type ping download.mcafeee.com then click the Enter key. See if it gives a positive answer. When finished you can type exit and click Enter.

And to make sure your browser is able to connect correctly, clean out all your Temporary Internet Files folders and temporarily disable the firewall.

Yes, uninstall from the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs section. Then use the MCPR.exe tool to clean out McAfee. (Download the tool from "HERE". Then go looking elsewhere for McAfee files, just in case.. Occasionally, you'll need to launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one. In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming

If you previously had Norton on the machine, download and run the Norton Removal Tool to guarantee that nothing Symantec is on the computer. Likewise with other antivirus programs.. Uninstall them first.

After doing the said steps, try to reinstall McAfee Again. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site. Try saving DMSETUP to your desktop first. Right-click it, go to Properties and select "Unblock" and then click OK. Double-click to start installation.

If you are McAfee direct customer, go to https://home.mcafee.com/Secure/Protected/Login.aspx and log in to download your McAfee products.

If you received your McAfee products from your service provider, please use the list below to download your software.

Comcast users should go to http://security.comcast.net/ and log in to download your software.

DELL users should go to https://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp?affid=105 and log in to download your software.

Gateway users should go to https://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp?affid=370 and log in to download your software.

eMachines users should go to https://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp?affid=365 and log in to download your software.

MSN users should go to http://membercenter.msn.com/ and log in to download your software.

AOL users should go to http://daol.aol.com/safetycenter and log in to download your software.

Collapse -
Thanks
by acemoose / November 9, 2009 3:17 AM PST

Thanks very much for the very comprehensive information!!!

Will do all this when I get home this evening.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.