TVs & Home Theaters

Question

WHy won't my dvd player play dvd-r discs??

by babybear1975 / April 26, 2011 10:15 AM PDT

so, 3 or 4 years ago maybe 5 i transferred a bunch of vhs tapes to dvd-r discs. i was able to play them on that machine and one other that we had(both have since gone on to electronics heaven) neither the blu-ray dvd player we have or either of pur pc's or my portable dvd player will play them Sad

we bought a new dvd player for our pc room and the description stated it would play them--it doesn't PLEASE help me!! i want to be able to watch these dvd's again.

the new player we got is a toshiba and according to the front of the manual SD4300KU.

I will be eternally grateful if someone can help me solve this problem.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WHy won't my dvd player play dvd-r discs??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WHy won't my dvd player play dvd-r discs??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
This may not be a +/- issue.
by ahtoi / April 26, 2011 11:55 AM PDT

The player now sold shouldn't +/- preference. I am guessing this might have more to do with recording format of the original recorder (just guessing here). What kind of recorder was it? Is it still available ?

Collapse -
original player
by babybear1975 / April 26, 2011 10:31 PM PDT

its been 3 or 4 years since i have had it , but if memory serves me correctly the original was by a company called go video .as to whether the player is still available i checked e-bay but the ones i saw were being sold for parts.

Collapse -
original player
by babybear1975 / April 26, 2011 10:34 PM PDT

if my memory serves me the player was by go video. i checked e-bay and the ones on there that i saw were being sold for parts. i also wanna add that when i try the discs in the new player it acts like its loading then tells me "bad disc"

Collapse -
ahtoi is correct
by Pepe7 / April 27, 2011 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: original player

The old Go video player recorded the material onto the DVD-R in such a way that the Toshiba can't read it. Sorry. It's a weakness of the medium, unfortunately. You will likely need a PC to view the material, or get lucky with another standalone DVD player that happens to handle what you burned with the Govideo player.

Collapse -
Older ones couldn't
by Flatworm / April 29, 2011 11:37 PM PDT

Many older DVD players had trouble playing recordable DVDs of any kind, but a little later most could read DVD+R. It wasn't long before they pretty much all could read both +R and -R.

Go Video did a lot of strange things, which is why you don't see them around much anymore.

Collapse -
Try this
by jfordorl / April 30, 2011 12:44 AM PDT

If your computer can read the disks OK, that should prove the old disk good. Computers have many CODEC's installed so they can read many, many formats. Your old DVD recorder may have used a old or proprietary CODEC which newer players don't support. Should you find that your computer can not read the old disks, the problem is more likely deteorating data on your old disks. Hope this helps!

Collapse -
Answer
Disc Age, brand
by stevem291 / April 30, 2011 3:13 AM PDT

There are many reasons they may not be working for you. 1, many dvd recorders have to finalize the disc in order to play on anything else. It will play in the original recorder, sometime something else, but mostly they will not play on any other players until you finalize them, and since you no longer have that unit, you can't do that.
2, disc will go bad! depending on brand, storage conditions. I have had some go bad in as little as a year,(cheaper off brands) I have some still playing after 7 years. Anything I think is very important I burn on 2 disc of different brands and save on a hard drive. As long as the disc have not gone bad, as some others have said, you should be able to see them in a computer that will play dvd's. If they work there, then you should be able to copy them and then they would play in your regular dvd players. I never liked the way vhs to dvd recorder made the dvd's by putting chapter marks in, so once I dubbed a tape to dvd, I put the dvd in the computer and edit it all out. I hope number 1 is your problem as it can be recovered.

Collapse -
Answer
Corrupted files.
by monarcq / May 1, 2011 10:30 AM PDT

I had a similar experience with a home video I had recorded from a Sony Digital Video Tape to computer to a DVD disc. A few years later when I tried to view the DVD on two different stand-alone players, no video. When trying to view the DVD on my computer, the computer would crash. I was able to copy the video file from DVD to my computer and then downloaded a player called Final VIdeo Player. There were a few glitches in playback, but for the most part this player worked when nothing else would. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Answer
What brand dvds
by stevem291 / May 1, 2011 12:58 PM PDT

What brand dvds did you burn them too? And how many did you do? There are some special software programs that may read them, as long as the disc have not deteriorated. As I mentioned earlier, it sounds like they were not finalized in the original recorder. Look at the disc(on the burned side) with a good bright light on the back, if you see light thru it in spots, the disc may be bad. Now shine the light on the burned side to see it the color changes from spot to spot, this is not a good sign. Of course it may look fine and still be bad. If you don't find a answer here, or someone local to help, I am always up to a challenge. In Columbia SC

Collapse -
Answer
how about this
by porsche10x / May 12, 2011 7:38 AM PDT

Try copying one of the disks onto another disk using your computer (or another dvd recorder if you have one). Try both - and + disks. If your results are not successful, try using some type of DVD authoring software instead of plain old copying software. I use VideoRedo, but there are lots of others, including freeware. Since you're not trying to copy store-bought copy-protected disks, there are a lot of options.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.