Networking & Wireless forum

Why to Allocate the bandwidth

by bhagi4664 / March 30, 2012 9:29 PM PDT

hello everyone Happy

i am new to this field.. so i am asking a rather simple qestion but seriously i couldn't find the answer anywhere.

for a device to communicate with another device it sends the information with specific radio frequency. now my question is why do organizations like FCC, etc allocate the bandwidth in the first place through auctioning and stuff like that.

i mean there is no LIMIT on the EM spectrum to be used right. Can you please tell me the exact specifics of why actually allocation is needed and what happens if it is not allocated.
I also want to know why specific frequency is allocated to specific radio channel. why cant a radio channel use any other frequency.

I am kind of new so this may seem absurd but please help Happy
even any links or books explaining these concepts are also fine for me Happy
and sorry if i posted in the wrong area cuz this is wer i found appropriate.
Edit/Delete Message

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why to Allocate the bandwidth
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why to Allocate the bandwidth
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
No limit.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 30, 2012 10:09 PM PDT

Well physically there is a limit on microwave and wireless frequencies, they don't range from 1 to infinity, and Governments have always parcelled out frequency bandwidth to providers.

A very simple case in point. Governments restrict the public use of radio frequencies used by emergency services on FM, short range, or LW, long wave. If they did not, the emergency services wouldn't work as public use would constantly cause interference.

Another example. TV transmission over the airways used up an enormous range of frequencies for each channel. If Governments did not allocate channel bandwidth and prevent pirate stations from operating, we would not have received the programs we expected. We would have seen pirated stations, or just static interference.

That said, developed nations have now, largely, moved on from 'over the air' analog transmission in favor of over the air digital transmission which can pack more data in, and the processors in TVs and set-top boxes are able to de-compress the data and process it into the hundreds of channels we now get.

But no organisation can legally begin transmitting data, be it radio, TV, cell phone or walkie talkie on just any frequency. They have to have ownership of that frequency and that is where allocation comes in.

You may be thinking that, even so, the range of frequencies from Microwave to radio wave is immense, and that is right, but modern technology is not yet at the stage where broadcasters and receivers can use 1 single Hz or 1 decimal point of a Hz without interference and bleeding into other frequencies. That sort of precision technology doesn't yet exist, if it ever will.

I hope that helps.

Collapse -
Radio Channels
by bhagi4664 / March 31, 2012 4:02 PM PDT
In reply to: No limit.

That was helpful thanks a lot. But still I have a few more doubts.
Just to be clear....
Suppose I have at my home a transmitter and a receiver with me. Now i am transmitting a signal at a frequency of say 'X' hz with the data being modulated from the transmitter in FM manner. And say that there is a radio station with same frequency (X FM). Now, will I be able to transmit the data or not. Technically I shouldn't because that particular frequency is allocated to that channel right.

Secondly, if there is a radio station at say X FM. Will I be able to access that same radio channel, by turning the knob of my radio to that particular frequency, from anywhere in the world. Because it has been allocated that channel, so technically I must be able to access it anywhere because the organization wouldn't have allocated it to anyone else except that channel company.

Thanks again for the above answer, it was helpful.

Collapse -
Your questions.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 1, 2012 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Radio Channels

1] No, not if that channel has been allocated to that radio station.

2] Yes, but probably not everywhere around the world. FM is, I believe, short range. The physical range depends on the amount of power the station can use and other factors like height of the transmitter. If they could use unlimited power, they would still need to be mindful of bleeding into frequencies of nearby, (FM range) stations.

But of course this all depends on where you live. I have no idea if all nations allocate and control microwave and wireless frequencies. For all I know, some nations may have a 'free for all'.

Your other question below. Yes it may be available in other countries. Different countries allocate frequencies for their own purpose. There may be an international agreement about certain frequencies but apart form that nations have their own free will.

Collapse -
Re: questions
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 1, 2012 6:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Radio Channels

1. Yes, technically you can. But it's not allowed and there's a good change you'll see the police in a short time. How short a time depends on what others use that same frequency. If it happens to be the Army for its very secret and very secure communications it won't take long. Same for air traffic control after a few planes crashed because they couldn't receive the instructions. If it's the very popular local radio that other people can't receive now, it won't take very long either if enough of your fellow citizens complain.
Compare it with driving on the right side of the road in the UK. Technically you can. But it's not adviced to do it for some good reason.

2. If you're inside the receiving range (distance): yes. Otherwise: no. Only so called 'short wave' is really nearly world-wide.

Collapse -
one More
by bhagi4664 / March 31, 2012 4:12 PM PDT
In reply to: No limit.

and just one more thing...

What about different countries. If a channel is allocated a specific frequency, will that frequency be not available for any other country as well.
This was just an extension of my previous post but if the question wasn't clear this is it.

Also I tried to catch a radio channel which is there in some other state, but I couldn't from where I stay.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.