TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Why the lack of HD Front Projectors on Cnet?

by Jivedaddy / September 18, 2007 6:40 AM PDT

I'm considering replacing my 48" HD rear projector w/ an Epson or Sharp LCD front projector home theater and would like more info on front projector HD units and am surprised Cnet does not focus on these more. Any idea why?

Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why the lack of HD Front Projectors on Cnet?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why the lack of HD Front Projectors on Cnet?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
there was quite a bit of talk about FP recently
by jostenmeat / September 18, 2007 6:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
I mean...
by Jivedaddy / September 18, 2007 8:36 AM PDT

Jostenmeat,
I meant more in regular Cnet, not the forums. If you visit home audio and video, front projectors are hardly mentioned or reviewed.

Collapse -
I think the main reason is...
by RustyDallas / September 18, 2007 8:17 AM PDT

that it's just a lot of trouble and extra cost for pictures under 70" diagonal. Just as you've probably heard, I think the picture quality is very good. With the right screen, you can also handle ambient light issues as long as your viewing angles aren't too wide. One thing you don't have with front projection that you do have with rear projection TV's are the sparkles you see on the screen surface from rear projection. I've got a 60" rear projection TV and I've never completely gotten used to it. Nevertheless, I didn't and wouldn't deal with the hassles for a 60" picture. If you are going big home theater on the other hand, it's the only practical way to go.

Rusty

Collapse -
HONESTLY, MOST C-NET FOLKS AREN'T.............
by Riverledge / September 18, 2007 8:43 AM PDT

THAT INTERESTED IN FRONT PROJECTERS.

BUT C-NET REVEIWS THESE ON A REGULAR BASIS.

Stop whining and do some research on your own.

river.

Collapse -
(NT) Cranky today aren't we?
by RustyDallas / September 18, 2007 9:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
whining...
by Jivedaddy / September 18, 2007 9:12 AM PDT

I look to Cnet for most tech products I purchase, so if they seem to be ignoring an area I find of interest I'm going to speak up. I don't consider this whining. Well, maybe a little. Wink

Collapse -
OKEY. I APOLOGIZE.
by Riverledge / September 18, 2007 11:19 AM PDT

YOU MADE ME LAUGH.

I CANNOT support your point of view.

Be well,

Riverledge.

Collapse -
FRON T PROJECTORS CREM DE LA CREM
by stewart norrie / September 19, 2007 7:33 AM PDT
In reply to: OKEY. I APOLOGIZE.

A true movie theater experience expensive if you want a sweet picture. The main problem is expensive lamps short life span + you must use top notch equipment to back it up. also its so hard to find a store that has them on demo stewee

Collapse -
yea, that lamp thing is a problem...
by RustyDallas / September 19, 2007 11:59 AM PDT

Four or five years ago I tried to find a way to import aftermarket data projector lamps but the manufacturers are very tricky about it. To make them profittably, the bulb manufacturers need to have very large production runs and require extremely large orders for any one lamp. So, the projector manufacturers change the bulbs with almost every new model to keep the total demand for any one bulb low enough that it makes someone like me think twice about importing them. I mean, sometimes the only thing that makes one bulb differnet from the next is that they just changed the pin configuration on the back. No other difference. I even explored the possibility of selling kits where you built your own lamp by being able to change the pins yourself. It just didn't turn out to be practical. Too bad because if I could break their semi-monopoly on the lamps, I could afford the 3D TV josten just told me about. Eiko is doing it but their prices are so high you might as well buy from the projector manufacturers.

Oh well,

Rusty

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.