TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Why the audio is not in sync with video?

by john7744 / August 22, 2005 12:26 AM PDT

Hello Everyone,
I need you your help in sync up the video and audio. It looks like the audio is a bit behind (latency) the video.
My video/audio systems:
- TV Display: Pioneer PRO-1410HD.
- Samsung HD Tuner/Receiver. Connect to TV Display via Monster Component Cable.
- Audio Output of the HD Tuner/Receiver goes to Bose LifeStyle 48 system via digital cable that comes with Bose system.

As a man on TV speaks his voice is not in sync with his lip movement. The sound is a bit behind the words. This is really annoying :-).
Please advise me of what to do to sync up the video and the sound.
Thanks a lot for your help here.
Regards,
J.N

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why the audio is not in sync with video?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why the audio is not in sync with video?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A variety of causes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2005 1:00 AM PDT

But I've noticed that even TV stations are letting the sync slide a bit more. I think it's a dollar issue. It may be that the costs to sync up that area is thought to be unimportant compared to the schedule? We can only guess.

I've seen a few DVDs that have the same technical flaw.

You are not alone in spotting this. Some gear can tweak the sync a little, but I don't own your equipment so you'll have to find out if such an adjustment is in there.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob!
by john7744 / August 22, 2005 1:07 AM PDT
In reply to: A variety of causes.

I feel a bit better knowing this is quite common. I need to stop by Best Buy this afternoon to see if they have the same audio latency problem.
Regards,
J.N

Collapse -
Why the audio is not in sync with video?
by jcrobso / August 22, 2005 1:18 AM PDT

My guess is that this is a digital processing delay.
I did a large instlation with 5500 ansi lunen projctor to a 9'x12' screen great picture but the sound was not in sync. It turned out in this case that the video was beening delayed do to the processing ocuring in the projector. So to fix it I put a delay in the audio to resync the two.
In you case your saying the the Audio is behind the video. Can you hook an audio line from your tv instead of the digtal line to see if the problem gets better? John

Collapse -
Hi John...
by john7744 / August 22, 2005 1:47 AM PDT

<...Can you hook an audio line from your tv instead of the digtal line to see if the problem gets better?...>
I'm not good at configuring electronic devices.. so please be patient with me. My understanding of your advice is I need to run the audio output of the HD Tuner/Receiver to the TV Display (Pionner Elite PRO-1410HD is just a plasma display. No speakers come with it. I do not know if the component cable - which connects HD Tuner/Receiver to TV Display - is able to handle both Video and Audio altogether? In this case I do not need to run any Audio line to the TV Display?!!) then run the Audio Out from the TV Display to the Audio In of the Bose box?
Please correct me if I misunderstood your advice.
Thanks
Regards,
J.N

Collapse -
because you have to replace all 3 bulbs at the same time.
by jcrobso / August 22, 2005 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi John...

Ok, Try using a standard audio cable from the HDTV tuner and going directly to the Bose audio system and bypass the TV for the audio, see if this makes a difference.
A componet cable is for video only. You would also need a audio cable.
Since the Pro-1410HD is a disply only, send only the video to it and the audio to the Bose. John

Collapse -
Audio Video Sync
by terrmul / August 22, 2005 9:53 AM PDT

Usually this problem is the other way around, video lags audio. This is due to video processing circuits and the time it takes to do this. In your case though you think that audio is lagging video. I'm not too familiar with the Bose system, we stay away from it, but my guess is that because of the audio setup within the Bose there is significant delay there. Check your settings on the lifestyle to verify any setup changes that might change audio settings, pay attention to digital signal processing or DSP's. Look for "direct", "normal" or just flick through all options and see which sounds best.

Terry Mulholland
CEO/Owner
Beyond Home Theater
ww.beyondhometheater.com

Collapse -
Terry!!!
by john7744 / August 23, 2005 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Audio Video Sync

Thanks a lot for the tips.
<...Usually this problem is the other way around, video lags audio. This is due to video processing circuits and the time it takes to do this. ...>

You could be right Terry. I will have to look into this again.

<... I'm not too familiar with the Bose system, we stay away from it...>
It's too late for me now. I regret that I bought the system without having done any research. I always thought Bose was good but it is not for big room. arrrrgggg!!!

Will go thru the settings on Bose and try them out tonite.
Thanks again for the tips.
Regards,
J.N

Collapse -
John & Terry!!
by john7744 / August 24, 2005 12:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Terry!!!

I bought a digital connector cable for the HD Tuner to the Bose box and it solves the audio latency problem. It seems to me that the video signal was processed a bit faster (Monster digital cable) than audio signal (Bose standard analog cable). Anyway, Bose sucks!
Thanks for your tips.
Regards,
J.N

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.