Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Why Terrorists Hate America

by Charlie Thunell PL&T / January 26, 2005 8:03 PM PST

Why do terrorists hate America enough to give up their lives in order to deal the country such mortal blows? Of course it,s not America the terrorists hate; it,s American foreign policy. It,s what the United States has done to the world in the past half century -- all the violence, the bombings, the depleted uranium, the cluster bombs, the assassinations, the promotion of torture, the overthrow of governments, and more. The terrorists -- whatever else they might be -- are also rational human beings; which is to say that in their own minds they have a rational justification for their actions. Most terrorists are people deeply concerned by what they see as social, political or religious injustice and hypocrisy, and the immediate grounds for their terrorism is often retaliation for an action of the United States.

The rest of it here...

Nota benne (Notice); Blum has a history within the US administration!

"William Blum left the State Department in 1967, abandoning his aspiration of becoming a Foreign Service Officer, because of his opposition to what the United States was doing in Vietnam.

He then became one of the founders and editors of the Washington Free Press, the first "alternative" newspaper in the capital.
In 1969, he wrote and published an expos

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why Terrorists Hate America
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why Terrorists Hate America
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's not American foreign policy. It's our accomplishments
by Kiddpeat / January 26, 2005 8:39 PM PST

which, in turn, have resulted in prosperity and power. People are always jealous when other people have wealth and power. That's doubly true if you are one of the faithful and enlightened (a Muslim), and it's the christians that have the wealth and power. Your theology says it's not supposed to work that way. After all, christians are infidels.

Collapse -
For whom?
"It's not American foreign policy. It's our accomplishments which, in turn, have resulted in prosperity and power." - Kiddpeat

Prosperioty and power for who? And how? And what's the cost? Are you proud of it?
Collapse -
i am
by Mark5019 / January 26, 2005 9:22 PM PST
In reply to: For whom?

seems Afghanistan's doing OK the country's that we helped over come the Nazis, the commies are doing OK.

seems the terrorists of the "peaceful religion" cant stand that.

well its looking like the Israeli/Palestinian may work out seems the new leaders got brains.
so the terrorists will kill there own sooner or later the people will stand up to them and they will win

remember the only good terrorists is a dead one

Collapse -
It's not American foreign policy. It's our accomplishments
by xerpor / January 26, 2005 8:55 PM PST

I'm not so sure of that Kiddpeat. I've been hearing and reading different for a long time.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2001/0927/p1s1-wogi.html

The vast majority of Muslims in the Middle East were as shocked and horrified as any American by what they saw happening on their TV screens (911). And they are frightened of being lumped together in the popular American imagination with the perpetrators of the attack.

But from Jakarta to Cairo, Muslims and Arabs say that on reflection, they are not surprised by it. And they do not share Mr. Bush's view that the perpetrators did what they did because "they hate our freedoms."

Rather, they say, a mood of resentment toward America and its behavior around the world has become so commonplace in their countries that it was bound to breed hostility, and even hatred.

And the buttons that Mr. bin Laden pushes in his statements and interviews - the injustice done to the Palestinians, the cruelty of continued sanctions against Iraq, the presence of US troops in Saudi Arabia, the repressive and corrupt nature of US-backed Gulf governments - win a good deal of popular sympathy.

Collapse -
did you see how unhappy they were
by Mark5019 / January 26, 2005 9:23 PM PST

danceing in the streets?

Collapse -
All true
by Dan McC / January 26, 2005 11:00 PM PST

There was even discussions of reform in some circles in the Middle East after 9-11. These were crushed with the invasion of Iraq.

Dan

Collapse -
Did we in the US & Canada hear most of the Middle East
by Ziks511 / January 26, 2005 11:50 PM PST

was upset by 9/11? Not a chance. What the supposed "liberal media conspiracy" reflected were those minorities like Hezbollah and Islamic Jihad who rejoiced in the attacks, thus convincing us that it was the general feeling and making it easier for us to attack Iraq. If all Muslims felt that way, what was there to lose?

It's just that sort of misjudgement that the State Department is supposed to protect us against. But when the State Department becomes subservient to the Neo-Con Administration's agenda then mistakes are made. I don't think any country in the Middle East was sorry to see the Taliban defeated in Afghanistan. Fundamentalist theocrats like the Taliban are a threat to all governments in the Middle East. But Saddam Hussein was viewed differently by the rest of the Middle East, as is Muamar Ghaddafi. They're viewed as run of the mill autocrats which have been common through much of Middle Eastern history. A threat to them seems like a threat to all. For the simplistic out there, no, that doesn't mean I like, approve, or agree with this attitude or with these monsters, but in order to communicate with a culture as different as the Middle East one has to learn to speak their language because ours is too foreign for them to comprehend.

Rob Boyter

Collapse -
i agree we will lear there language
by Mark5019 / January 27, 2005 2:57 AM PST

its a bullet they want to kill or die a martyr ill gladly send them to hell

Collapse -
No, it's democracy they hate
by C1ay / January 26, 2005 9:26 PM PST

As Iraq prepares for its first democratic election, Abu Musab Zarqawi defined precisely the monumental stakes, saying in al Qaeda's name: "We have declared a fierce war on this evil principle of democracy and those who follow this wrong ideology."

More...

Collapse -
Is there any room in your evaluation here
by TONI H / January 26, 2005 9:37 PM PST

>>>>The terrorists -- whatever else they might be -- are also rational human beings; which is to say that in their own minds they have a rational justification for their actions. Most terrorists are people deeply concerned by what they see as social, political or religious injustice and hypocrisy, and the immediate grounds for their terrorism is often retaliation for an action of the United States.>>>>

that you could be wrong about what terrorists are? These are not rational people and they are not deeply concerned or they wouldn't be committing mass murder to make their point and killing their own to do that. They don't care if the innocents they kill even feel the same way they do.....they don't take the time to even get to know what their victims believe. They just kill because they can.

Have you considered the possibility that people like you (someone from another country but living here and enjoying whatever creature comforts this evil empire you believe is the USA has to offer you) are actually aiding and abetting the terrorists by aggressively agreeing with their tactics with nearly every comment you make that puts down the USA and its policies? You state that you do it because you don't agree with the way the USA does things, but you just can't see that in publicly criticizing every single thing the USA does, you are feeding into the terrorists morale and boosting them up and encouraging their behavior.

Go east young man.......obviously that is where your heart lies. Don't come to MY country and support the terrorist ways by giving them excuses to continue. We aren't the bad guys, but if you really believe we are, go home.

TONI

Collapse -
to bad hes the kind of people that leave there
by Mark5019 / January 26, 2005 9:54 PM PST

great country and come here seems to me that says it all

but hes safe here to spit out trash and polute the airwaves.

Collapse -
Where?
by Dan McC / January 26, 2005 11:04 PM PST

Where has anyone on this forum aggressivly agreed with terrorist tactics or supported terrorist ways?

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) there were some who never denounced it
by Mark5019 / January 26, 2005 11:16 PM PST
In reply to: Where?
Collapse -
Every post
by TONI H / January 26, 2005 11:27 PM PST
In reply to: Where?

condemning the USA for its actions in fighting terrorism and giving 'excuses' to the terrorists for why they hate us by stating that they are decent people at heart, is an unstated approval of them and their methods. And there are a few here who condemn the USA more often (nearly daily) than they support the very country they live in enough to stay. The very fact that they are allowed to condemn the USA without consequences speaks volumes compared to the fact that these same 'unspoken' supporters of terrorists aren't going to the terrorist countries to show that support on a physical level instead.

Cowards who love living the good life that they go out of their way to condemn every chance they get disgust me almost as much as the terrorists do. When and if any of these posters ever post a positive thing about the USA, I will consider what they have to say anything other than garbage being spewed. Until then, they say what they want, and I say what I want and feel about them since I also have that right.

TONI

Collapse -
Nowhere?
by Dan McC / January 27, 2005 1:06 AM PST
In reply to: Every post

Nowhere is there the aggressive agreement with terrorist tactics or support for terrorist was that you accused?

OK. That's what I thought.

What you see as unstated approval of terrorists and their methods is merely your interpretation. Hardly the same thing as your initial accusation.

You should consider retracting your original unfounded, unsupportable statement.

Dan

Collapse -
When there is
by TONI H / January 27, 2005 1:33 AM PST
In reply to: Nowhere?

aggressive criticism of the USA and how we are dealing with terrorists and constant barrage of garbage spewed about how it's our fault that terrorists and other world countries see us as the bad guys, and there is never any aggressive criticism of the terrorists, that is approval of their reasons for 'hating' us as far as I'm concerned whether it's actually verbalized or not.

I have nothing to apologize for nor do I plan to retract my statements. The original post laid out the reasons why they hate us.....and went so far as to call terrorists rational caring people. Is that not support/sympathy for their cause and methods used that show how rational and caring they are?

Are rebellious children not given permission to rebel by parents who excuse their behavior rather than stop it before it becomes habit and acceptable behavior?

I don't care if the terrorists agree with our country's choices......I DO care when they kill innocents as a rebellious choice to get attention, make a point, and gain control, and it should NOT be tolerated by any caring country or person.

TONI

Collapse -
That is, of course, not what you originally accused
by Dan McC / January 27, 2005 1:50 AM PST
In reply to: When there is

But there are still some logical failures with your arguments.

When there is aggressive criticism of the USA and how we are dealing with terrorists and constant barrage of garbage spewed about how it's our fault that terrorists and other world countries see us as the bad guys, and there is never any aggressive criticism of the terrorists, that is approval of their reasons for 'hating' us as far as I'm concerned whether it's actually verbalized or not.

If your concern stretches far enough to include mind reading, then this is true. This is also a far cry from your initial scurrilous accusation.

The original post laid out the reasons why they hate us.....and went so far as to call terrorists rational caring people. Is that not support/sympathy for their cause and methods used that show how rational and caring they are?

No, it's not. It's a recognition that they are people, however flawed. Recognizing a person's humanity in no way, not even a little, shows any support for that person's reprehensible actions.

Dan

Collapse -
Where there is no humanity,
by TONI H / January 27, 2005 2:01 AM PST

there is no "people"

>>>>No, it's not. It's a recognition that they are people, however flawed. Recognizing a person's humanity in no way, not even a little, shows any support for that person's reprehensible actions.>>>>

TONI

Collapse -
Some would say
by Dan McC / January 27, 2005 2:28 AM PST

that we are all god's children.

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) witth them god screwed up
by Mark5019 / January 27, 2005 3:00 AM PST
In reply to: Some would say
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) god screwed up............ What?
by JP Bill / January 27, 2005 3:11 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) you haveing a bad day? bother to read thread
by Mark5019 / January 27, 2005 3:12 AM PST
Collapse -
I read what YOU said
by JP Bill / January 27, 2005 3:14 AM PST

{b]god screwed up

Collapse -
Stick a fork in it
by David Evans / January 27, 2005 2:33 AM PST

Please give it up and stop with the phony pretense of innocence, or the "I don't understand" pretense, or whatver you want to call it, Dan. It's long ago grown old and it's long been clear where your sympathies lie.

DE

Collapse -
You add so much to a thread!
by Dan McC / January 27, 2005 2:35 AM PST
In reply to: Stick a fork in it

Thanks for joining in.

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Doesn't he... LOL!
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / January 27, 2005 3:02 AM PST
Collapse -
those people arent humans ther sub humans
by Mark5019 / January 27, 2005 2:59 AM PST

if you beleave there your equals fine but i dont consider them my equals

Collapse -
Well said,
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / January 27, 2005 2:10 AM PST
In reply to: When there is

Hi Toni,

Perhaps I should stay out of this thread, but...

While I can see why some would consider terrorists as "rational" - and that's a rather 'iffy' word ! - I agree that any justification for such wanton acts of extreme violence is just so much , well, BS. Especially when a religion is trotted out in support of such. Arrgh. All that " *My* God is the true one, and he/she/it says it's ok to kill, under certain circumstances... " : maybe that's not an *exact* quote from any so-called scripture, but that's the gist, for some; or they interpret their "Good Book" that way. Man o man, there is so much strife in this world already, we surely do not need more. Somehow we seem to like to hate though.

Anyhow, I believe that 'passive resistance' might work, but it's mighty tempting to just meet force with force. And sometimes that is all one can do, either as a person or as a nation. We have been attacked, and will continue to be - until it's resolved somehow. I don't see any quickie solutions, but I ain't hopeless about it either.

I too am rather disgusted (to put it politely!) about those who "innocently" point out that America and her citizens "got what we had coming" - yes, we have done some bad things in the past, and still do, but on balance we are one of the, if not THE most humane countries around. Yep, we kill, drop bombs, do some shady covert ops, etc., that's true - but when you find out what those other "civilized" countries do, too, ya find out no one is clean. At the very least, we make amends where we can. I am still waiting for France, Britain, Germany, Italy, Spain, and a few other Euro nations to get off their high horses and frickin fess up about what they did - what we know is bad enough, and it's probably only the tip o the ole iceberg...

So, thanks again for so eloquently writing what I think a lot of people here perhaps were too kind to say. Happy

Rick "chocobunny" Jones

Rick

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Too much to ask for Dan...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / January 27, 2005 1:50 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) hey Dan ask cl what her views are wont get a denouncer
by Mark5019 / January 27, 2005 2:58 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.