TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Why not install a car stereo into the kitchen wall?

by jt9610 / January 27, 2007 9:58 AM PST

I'm sure this is dumb, but someone tell me why. Designing a room addition off the kitchen, and gutting the kitchen. Want to control music, insert CDs/DVDs from kitchen without using countertop or under-counter real estate. Latest double-din car units have remotes and all the features one could want. I can run the output to my AV receiver, amp it, and pipe from there to whole house or the pool. The backside of the wall is the inside of a closet, so the unit can poke through the other side and be wired from there. I would have to step the house power down to 12v DC, but I can't think why that would be a problem.

What am I missing?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why not install a car stereo into the kitchen wall?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why not install a car stereo into the kitchen wall?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) as long as it's up to code - sounds like a great idea to me!
by shawnlin / January 27, 2007 12:07 PM PST
Collapse -
Yes, a bit odd but feasible. Surely pay attention to
by NM_Bill / January 27, 2007 12:16 PM PST

electric code standards.

Collapse -
It is DC NOT AC!!!!
by kctobyjoe / January 27, 2007 9:59 PM PST

Be sure to realize that you will need a way to power it. It will normally receive power from a 12 volt DC source, and your home wiring will fry it instantly if you just rig something to power it. I am confused with why you would bother with this since for the same money you can get something that will function similarly and not have the power issue.

Collapse -
Automobile AUDIO-systems(in the HOME).../
by castingRod47 / January 27, 2007 10:21 PM PST
In reply to: It is DC NOT AC!!!!

It would be wise to NOT USE a LEAD-acid Battery in the HOME....
..the alternative..
Is the Wheel Chair GLASS Bead Technology Battery..
This device is a safe product for home environments..
It has a very good LIFE-span..and would need a Standard 12volt Battery Charger(15-amp)Maximum(my suggestion)..
A 12volt...35-AMP would be more than enough to POWER a CAR-audio System..I would suggest that the BATTERY be FULLY Charged from the Retail Store/and maybe once per year you could RUN it to your CAR-Chargeing SYSTEM/createing a HIGH CHARGE..for about 20-30 MINUTES(get the Throttle-to IDLE at least 2300-rpm)..
The problem associated with 12-VOLT Batteries is the EXPOSURE of the Battery TERMINALS..I place my GLASS BEAD 12volt Battery inside a Canvas Bag..and I MARK my POSITIVE-POST(RED Paint)..
..also..
the use of a INLINE FUSE/Auto type..20-amp..or 15-amp..place this on the (+)Positive POST/and even the use of ALLIGATOR CLIPS makes for a quick Dis-Connect..the FUSE is a very safe ITEM..
Keeping this ITEM Charged is a ORDEAL..
you'll get some 5-HOURS of Music Time followed by a 2-3 Hour Charge TIME useing the 10-AMP Charger..or over a Daylong Period you can use 2-3 Hour intervals..
I actually use my JVC 180 WATT Car Stereo as a Portable Music Player..
w/a 4-SPKR System(4-OHM)..No Sub Woofer..I've dis-continued the 12-DISK CD CHANGER/for a SONY Atrax PLAYER(useing a TAPE-converter)..and some 300-songs can R&R..with added battery LIFE..
I bought my Glass Bead at SEARS/about 60-dollars some 4-years ago/and its still running with a little drop off..it won't PLAY my Musical Keyboard..with a HEAVY application of the Keys..
But the JVC/runs good.

Collapse -
In-wall audio systems
by jt9610 / January 28, 2007 3:55 AM PST
In reply to: It is DC NOT AC!!!!

I do. I tried hunting for in-wall or whole-house audio systems (on this site, no less) and find nothing. Do you know something I don't? My issue is size and space. I want the controls in the kitchen but I don't want anything but a tiny face plate on a convenient wall, maybe a remote in the drawer. Car stereos seem to have focused on packing features in a small space for years and have it down. House systems focus on "wow look at all those buttons" and a slick box. Hence the idea. If I don't miss my guess, I can have an AC outlet and a DC converter on the inside of the closet and I'm done. I can run a standard car antenna up the wall and either the speaker output or an "audio out" line to my AV receiver for amping.

Collapse -
I've done this...
by Dan Filice / January 28, 2007 2:52 AM PST

jt9610,

I've done this in the past to a couple of different in-dash car radios when I upgraded them, and I couldn't get myself to throw away a perfectly good car stereo. It will work, but you just need to get the power connections figured out. As someone else mentioned, you will need a voltage converter (I bought a 12V unit at Radio Shack), and of course you will need some way to hook an antenna to it (I used an old car antenna because the connections were compatible, but I'm sure you could get some sort of connection converter to fit a regular antenna). The other thing I seem to remember is that I needed a small amp (I still have the small amp I bought at Radio Shack) to take the line-out from the car stereo and then connect to some speakers. Maybe I just connected the speakers to the car stereo...I can't remember. But, rather than go through the make-shift connections to get A/C converted to D/C and all the other connection issues, why not just build a small cubby hole in the wall and buy an all-in-one receiver/DVD player? This will be native A/C, it will have standard antenna connections, it will have proper speaker connections, and the DVD drive will play audio CDs. To me, this seems a much cleaner installation than having a bunch of crud hanging off the back of a car radio.

Collapse -
Tried it too..
by HTHMAN / January 28, 2007 3:47 AM PST
In reply to: I've done this...

I just used some old 12v converter I had laying around. Problem I had was that I got a humming sound from the power supply. Figured I would have to go out and buy a much better power supply or go with the battery/charger system. Scrapped that idea.

I agree with your all-in-one idea..

Collapse -
AC-DC and humming
by jt9610 / January 28, 2007 4:04 AM PST
In reply to: Tried it too..

ok this is starting to sound like a bad idea. I suppose I could separate the converter from the unit some distance (after further research to find out what that distance must be) and run DC power from there to the unit. but I see the beginnings of a reason why this is not done very often. still, I want a wall-mounted system and don't want to duplicate my component sytem.

Collapse -
Try it
by HTHMAN / January 28, 2007 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: AC-DC and humming

BEFORE you cut the hole in the wall!!

Collapse -
Absolutely
by mitrepeakbmw / February 4, 2007 11:15 AM PST

I can say absolutely because I did the exact same thing in my guest bathroom (anyone for mixing electricity with water ;). But seriously I bought a $100 MP3/CD/radio player (3 years ago), a water proof speaker off ebay for about $30 and a 12VDC from radio shack. Then had a GFCI outlet put into the closet, have the radio wired through a conduit to the closet and the plugged into the powersupply. The only completion I found was attaching an antenna for the happenchance FM selection. The wife thought I was crazy but for some reason I now find her country music CDs always in it. Everyone loves it and wants me to install one in their home. Any questionjust let me know. One of the keys was getting the right size for the holder in the wall.

Collapse -
car stereo in bathroom wall
by jt9610 / February 4, 2007 3:03 PM PST
In reply to: Absolutely

You say "One of the keys was getting the right size for the holder in the wall." How did you solve that problem?

Collapse -
antenna signal
by hit1mbk / March 7, 2008 4:08 PM PST

I used to work in a car audio shop and we had a store dispay... we had a power supply wich converted wall outlet to power ground 12 v and we simply conected the ground to the antenna to get signal

Collapse -
Power supply
by jaa007 / June 6, 2008 1:42 PM PDT
In reply to: antenna signal

Getting 110 to 12v is easy the real question lies in how many amps do you need to power a car stereo.

You say the store had a power supply, do you know how many amps that supply had?

I have the same problem. I am installing a marine stereo in a outdoor BBQ Island. I have a 200watt 12volt stereo. Someon told me I probably need at least 15amps power supply which is $100 at radio shack. the $20 adapter will give you 1.5amps at best.

Collapse -
Marine Stereo - BBQ
by davek52095 / August 22, 2008 8:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Power supply

I am working on the same project but I have issues with the receiver shutting down at certain volumes - raise the volume or use the CD player and the receiver shuts down and then kicks back on - same setup as you are doing.

Collapse -
Marine stereo in BBQ
by edplas / September 1, 2008 4:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Power supply

please let me know how this worked out. I want to install a marine stereo in my bbq island too. Is a simple voltage converter from radio shack all I need to make it work?

Collapse -
12 volts DC
by shaukat1 / July 1, 2008 3:10 PM PDT

Hi, please can you tell me where I can find a voltage adopter to convert 120 volts AC into 12 volts DC. I want to operatr my car stereo in my home.
Regards

Collapse -
-
by jonnybones / July 2, 2008 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: 12 volts DC
Collapse -
KENWOOD KRC-201
by shaukat1 / July 2, 2008 3:04 PM PDT
In reply to: -

Hi there,
Please tell me which wire of this tape would go to battery + terminal.
second, where can I find 5 Ampere 12 volt adopter

Regards & thanks

Collapse -
KENWOOD KRC-201
by shaukat1 / July 1, 2008 4:31 PM PDT

HI, Please can someone gude me what do YELLOW, RED and BLACK wires of this car tape mean?
which one would go to Battery's + terminal
Regards & thanks

Collapse -
Marine Stereo in outdoor BBQ
by davek52095 / August 22, 2008 7:47 AM PDT

I have a marine stereo hooked up to 4 oms speakers high quality - and have the power converter into the outlet but at a certain volume the receiver shuts down?? Also the CD player makes it shut down?? Any help would be appreciated...
Thanks

Collapse -
Power
by teslaman / October 10, 2008 3:35 PM PDT

Wow this thread was started awhile ago. I also started doing this years ago with unused car stereos and wall adapters. The reason the stereo shuts off at certain volumes is lack of power. The higher the volume goes, the more power is drawn from the power supply by the stereos internal amp. For old stereos with cassette 12V at 1amp will work good. Basically just get the highest output one you can find easily at the stores (1amp and up) and start testing, every stereo draws more or less than others. You many already have some laying around unused, like an old internet router adapter, laptop, etc etc.

For the other questions, If you need wiring diagrams, just to searches for the stereos model number followed by "wiring diagram". But for basics, Yellow and Red are 12V. I just twist red and yellow together to make things easier. Yellow is constant power which saves your settings/stations and Red is hooked through your ignition switch for ACC on/off. So if you wanted you could put a switch into the red wire to give you the on/off like in the car.

Collapse -
Power cont..
by teslaman / October 10, 2008 6:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Power

I forgot, another good power supply is an old computer power supply! There are a couple of online instructions of how to do it, just search for "ATX to bench power supply". I just finished wiring up an old one I had sitting around. It gives me 12V at 8amps, which is plenty for the Ford Focus 6006 6 Disc Changer I had been given.

The basic way to wire an ATX power supply only requires some wire, an LED and a 330ohm resistor. Pretty easy to do. Wink

Collapse -
ground?
by dave_man / March 15, 2009 12:02 PM PDT

if you didnt hook this up to power from you house and went with a battery how would you run the ground wires? anything special?

Collapse -
Ground Answer
by WildClay / October 22, 2009 7:21 AM PDT
In reply to: ground?

If you went with a battery (which would be a really bad decision in my opinion) then you would wire the car stereo "ground" to the negative side of the battery.

In either case (static inverter - 115VAC->12VDC) or a 12VDC battery ground for a car stereo is going to go the the negative side of the power source.

Collapse -
GUEST BATHROOM AUDIO
by CENTURION03 / April 7, 2009 6:10 AM PDT

YOU SAY YOU COMPLETED A PROJECT LIKE THIS. COULD YOU POST A WIRING DIAGRAM FOR THE ONE YOU DID?

Collapse -
car radio
by ua100alg / October 10, 2009 2:29 PM PDT

how do you hook up power supply from car stereo to my wall outlet?

Collapse -
RV Power Converter
by ohdannyboy1000 / October 22, 2009 4:56 AM PDT
In reply to: car radio

Simple. Just go to www.JCwhitney.com and pick out an RV power converter. Make sure it's AC to DC, not DC to AC (these are called inverters).

Look at the power requirements of the stereo(s) you're installing to be sure you get one that can deliver enough juice. If you get this wrong it'll keep shutting down at higher volume as you overload the converter.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/category.jcw;jsessionid=7424B543FDE1090732B44BE4F4CC02BA.node5?nval=1101000552&statenval=1101000549&shopid=100001&pageid=10

Collapse -
use a computer psu
by rich2999 / August 10, 2012 12:58 PM PDT

a computer psu will do the job. you can get them cheaply used. they range from 200 to 1000 watts. all you have to do is find the green wire on the big 24 pin connector coming out of it, and touch it to any of the negative(black) wires.

Collapse -
No problem
by mjd420nova / August 12, 2012 1:46 AM PDT

Using a car stereo in the home is simple and a 12 volt power supply would work very well. Forget about any batteries, they're not needed unless you want to run the unit without house power, but then your amps wouldn't work anyway. To provide the source and ablities of a car stereo, remote and platform (CD & MP3) would be a good way to go and inexpensive too.

Collapse -
Wiring a car Stereo in my Kitchen -using Laptop power supply
by nemov888 / September 20, 2012 11:58 PM PDT

Hi - I have seen this done in my landlords house - great idea in my opinion. I can even fit one to my desk and easily listen to music streamed via bluetooth, with instant call answering through the car stereo. Great idea!

So how to power it? I have read the thread above and it looks like the best option is going to be an old laptop ac adapter (power supply) - which will convert the 220v house mains (i'm in the UK) to 12V, with only 3/4 Amps. My stereo has a 10A fuse in the back of it - does this mean it needs 8 or 9 Amps or will 4Amps be ok?

If anyone can shed light on this.... I think this is the best solution for power...or an easy one!

One final thing - how should I wire the power from the power supply to the car stereo? Simply cut the lead that would have gone into the back of the laptop, and solder/connect to the power lead from the car stereo harness?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.