Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Why no spell checker in IE9?

by tubaloth / September 23, 2010 3:56 PM PDT

I think IE 9 beta is pretty good. But I realized today that it is still missing a spellchecker that I think all other browsers have. This was one thing I grew tired of with IE8.

What else is missing from IE9 that you that would be there.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why no spell checker in IE9?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why no spell checker in IE9?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't think it is standard even in other browsers
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 23, 2010 8:31 PM PDT

I seem to recall that I have to reinstall my SpellCheck add-on in Firefox if ever I upgrade FF.

And IE9 of course is a Beta, so possibly any spell check extension has not caught up with this new version yet.

Mark

Collapse -
Spellcheck is standard in most...
by John.Wilkinson / September 23, 2010 10:40 PM PDT

Spellcheck is actually a standard feature in Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and Opera. Some are better than others out of the box, with Chrome and Safari recognizing HTML, for instance, but Internet Explorer is the only major browser that still lacks the functionality built in. IE7Pro is a free plugin that adds many features IE lacks (including spell check) and, despite its name, is compatible with both IE7 and IE8; official IE9 support should be coming soon.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
It is intentional
by goodguy1234ass / November 2, 2010 1:09 AM PDT

Microsoft doesn't put a spell checker in Internet Explorer because they want you to buy MS Outlook and MS Word. Luckily the world has realized that Chrome and Firefox are better browsers.

Collapse -
Well, obviously not.
by MDFlax / November 2, 2010 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: It is intentional

Since IE is still the market leader in browser usage, your statement is incorrect. Much of the world's internet users still use Internet Explorer.

W?Counter Global Web Stats - September 2010.

Wikipedia - Usage share of web browsers.

In truth we don't know why Microsoft has not included a spell checker in IE. You may be right with your other statement, but you don't offer any support for that.

Mark

Collapse -
Those state are misleading
by cstephe / April 11, 2011 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Well, obviously not.

His statement is mostly true. I think something like 40% of ie users are using ie 6 which is not even supported by MS http://ie6countdown.com/ and is a very dangerous browser. (also not supported by google websites) They use this by default and probably don't even know what a browser is. The fact that so many people still use ie 6 shows the power of MS's bundling monopoly. Given this advantage I think it is amazing that chrome and FF are so high. To me that shows that a large % of the world understands that FF and Chrome are far superior to IE. To actually go and download a different browser, used to be a nerd move.

Collapse -
Not really
by Atomic1fire / November 2, 2010 9:04 AM PDT

I disagree.
I use office when I need to do homework and stuff, whether or not my browser has spell checker has nothing to do with that.
I use chrome as a browser, and google docs is nice, but I just prefer office, it's more expensive, but as long as everyone else is using office, Google doc's doesn't have a decent support for outlining in word, which I use for note taking.

Collapse -
Firefox is better?
by momarlon / August 22, 2011 10:27 PM PDT
I finally uninstalled Firefox. I got tired of having the tools I was used being incompatible with each new version. They came out with FF 6.0 this month, and from what I've read from Mozilla, they'll be coming out with versions 7, 8 and 9 later this year. No wonder software companies (Google, McAfee, and others) have stopped supporting their tools programs for FF. Then Mozilla blames them for not keeping up.
Collapse -
Add-on works well
by atwalker_305 / April 5, 2011 4:57 AM PDT

I stumbled across an inline spell checker called speckie. It works a lot better than the crummy one that was made for IE8. www.speckie.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.