Audio & Video Software forum

Why my PC cant handle AVCHD and my Camcorder & A57 Can?

by Michael_Nind / November 8, 2012 6:43 AM PST

Hi All,

I am new here and are after some help...

I have a E8400 Dual Core, W8 64 bit, 4 gig ram & 4000 series ATI Rad Graphics Card and a Canon HF 300 and Sony A57, both these cams video AVCHD format which my PC struggles to not only edit but to play smoothly. I have read many people advise people in these situations that a quad core PC is required with at least 8 gig of ram and a fast graphics card....
What I don't understand is that when I hook up either one of my cams to a mini hdmi to a HDTV the video playback is always super smooth and perfect, how is it these cameras have better playback internals than a pretty decent PC? Whats inside them that can make playback perfect but a PC which should have to my understanding a much more powerful processor and graphics card?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why my PC cant handle AVCHD and my Camcorder & A57 Can?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why my PC cant handle AVCHD and my Camcorder & A57 Can?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Define "handle".
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 7:31 AM PST

A long time ago I was editing and rendering DVDs on an Acer ter-600. That's a Pentium 3 with 256MB RAM and DVD renders took about 6 hours. It handled it just fine. Today you have to ask the folk what they mean by "handle"?

That is, some call it bad or not up to the task if the render is more than a few seconds.

Collapse -
by Michael_Nind / November 8, 2012 8:55 AM PST
In reply to: Define "handle".

Hello, handle as in play smooth in media players and handle as in edit AVCHD in either Adobe Premiere Elements or Vegas without the choppy playback.

Collapse -
BD and HD playback went smooth here
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2012 1:36 AM PST
In reply to: Re

At about the time of the Core 2 Duo and the Intel 4500MHD GMA. You would be hard pressed to find less than this in a laptop unless you were looking at netbooks.

Editing is/was fine but I don't own those titles so I have to go with what I saw at the trade shows. There will be situations where you apply a filter and no machine today will play without chop as the work is done in real-time but the rendered work is fine. I'm going to dismiss that since that's an edge case.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.