Samsung forum

Question

Why less and less BD are recognized after firmware update?

by thierrite / December 30, 2012 7:10 PM PST

Hi,

I own a Samsung BD payer model BD-P4600, and each time I update the firmware, less and less Blu Ray discs can be played or even recognized?

When I got this player (2 years ago), Avatar for example could not be read. Samsung advice was to update firmware, and it was fixed. But, few months after another official firmware update, the Avatar BD can't play again anymore (lags, no sound, menu unreachable...).
Worse, even some BD I could play before firmware update now are even not recognized at all; the player rejects the disc saying it can't be played.
How the heck this mess is possible? Why it's getting worse and worse?

Anyone experienced same issue, and more important, how to fix this? Is there any way to have BD to be played normally?

Best regards,
T

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why less and less BD are recognized after firmware update?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why less and less BD are recognized after firmware update?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Good question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2012 12:48 AM PST

Since BD is heavily copy protected and the changes seem to be never ending I too wonder how this will play out in say 5 years. I'm sure you've read about this issue and frankly it's consumer unfriendly.
Bob

Collapse -
PS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 4:14 AM PST
In reply to: Good question.

Read HD_Tech's post. It echoes what the advice has been so far. Always report failing titles as without the reports they don't know a title has stopped working. Beyond the reset I find that I have to drop the internet connection at times. Report those as well.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Why less and less BD are recognized after firmware updat
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 2, 2013 3:53 AM PST
Collapse -
I'm seeing a similar issue - Can't Read Blu Ray Disk
by SoftailDog / January 4, 2013 4:27 AM PST

Hi, I have a HT-6500 3D Smart Blu Ray Player. I purchased the HBO series "The Pacific" on Blu Ray... I must have watched the series 20 or so times in the last few months.... Now the blu ray player states the disc cannot be read... The disc is pristine... I cleaned it with a soft cloth several times as directed... It then worked... The next time I tried to view it and up until now it just cannot be read. Now every time I try to load the disc I get an error "Can't read the disk"... I was told to turn off BD-Live but that didn't do a thing. Please note that the blu ray player has the latest software updates and the disks are only a few months old.... This player worked flawlessly for a couple of months so why would the disc player suddenly stop reading the blu ray discs it read without error before? FYI - I can read other blu ray discs, but others now cannot be read... Also note that the last software update was weeks ago and the disk could be read fine after the installed update... I paid a lot of money for this system so it is disappointing to go thru this after only several months of use....

Collapse -
Found a solution for this issue.....
by SoftailDog / January 4, 2013 8:29 AM PST

Hi,

I found a solution for this issue... See my last post for details....

Collapse -
(20130114) Reply with non working BR disks
by thierrite / January 14, 2013 4:42 AM PST

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay but quite busy...

so, here is a list (I live in France, so I buy BR disks in France, and the title might be not translated strictly the same as what you know).

1/ Didn't work at the begining, worked after a certain update, and don't work again after another update:
-------------------------------------
Clone Wars
Quantum of Solace
Sucker Punch
Tron Legacy
Underworld director's cut

2/ never worked
Green Lantern
Indiana Jones 4
Millenium
Tron
Terminator Renaissance Director's cut

Unfortunately, after having tested all my BR, I did a RESET following your link). Now, some BR working before (after last update) don't work anymore. Example (I just did the reset, so my list is not yet reupdated):
----------------------------------------
Planet of Apes, the origins.

Now, I am really ****** up... what can I do? RESET did NOT help, and get things worse. If I want to do an update again? which firmware? only last one is available...

Thanks for your help in solving my problems...

thierrite

Collapse -
Re: Reply with non working BR disks
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 15, 2013 12:49 AM PST

Hi thierrite,

That's quite a list. But just so you know: I support US products and customers. So I won't be able to get that information to the correct people. However, I'd recommend you contact Samsung France, here's their portal for support on that product: http://www.samsung.com/fr/support/model/BD-P4600/XEF

Hope this helps you!

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
France... maybe
by thierrite / January 15, 2013 4:41 AM PST

Hi,

Indeed, a huge list, and should be counting...

I will see with France tech support, but I am afraid they won't help. My point of view is: this has nothing to do with country, but how Samsung deals with BR protections from BR manufactors.

Best regards,
thierrite

Collapse -
update with no working BR disks
by thierrite / January 14, 2013 4:44 AM PST

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay but quite busy...

so, here is a list (I live in France, so I buy BR disks in France, and the title might be not translated strictly the same as what you know).

1/ Didn't work at the begining, worked after a certain update, and don't work again after another update:
Clone Wars
Quantum of Solace
Sucker Punch
Tron Legacy
Underworld director's cut

2/ never worked
Green Lantern
Indiana Jones 4
Millenium
Tron
Terminator Renaissance Director's cut

Unfortunately, after having tested all my BR, I did a RESET following your link). Now, some BR working before (after last update) don't work anymore. Example (I just did the reset, so my list is not yet reupdated):
----------------------------------------
Planet of Apes, the origins.

Now, I am really ****** up... what can I do? RESET did NOT help, and get things worse. If I want to do an update again? which firmware? only last one is available...

Thanks for your help in solving my problems...

thierrite

Collapse -
Answer
I found a solution for my "Can't read this disk" issues...
by SoftailDog / January 4, 2013 8:25 AM PST

Hi,

I was lucky enough to go back to the basics and my "Can't read this disk" issue was resolved... After following the suggestion of performing a "Cold" start on the system to no avail a thought occurred. Might it be as simple as the Blu-Ray/DVD lens was dirty? Well I purchased a $10.00 DVD/Blu-Ray DISC/Game Console Lens Cleaner from a local electronics store. I received a disc with a "Knob" of shredded cloth which runs over the lens and wipes the accrued grime off. Just popped the thing into the draw then closed it and let it run for 5-6 seconds per the instructions... After taking it out and inserting the Blu-Ray disk that previously "Couldn't be Read" it was like a new disk. The image on the TV was sharper and brighter as well. Hey, for $10.00 and a few minutes of your time this may just fix your issues as well...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.