HP forum

Question

why isn't my DVD burner working properly?

by the-anti-john / May 8, 2013 1:26 AM PDT

last year, i used to burn video DVDs all the time, and I must've burned dozens of them without any errors. Lately, nearly every single one of my DVDs that I've burned have had errors. When I play the DVDs on my PC or DVD player, certain parts of the movie are skipped over and cause the player to malfunction. I use DVDFlick to author the video files and Burn Aware to burn the DVD video files. My DVD writer is HP DVD Writer 1260r. I don't know what's the problem here. I've tried updating the driver, but I can't find the CD that my PC came with and I also can't find the firmware update on the HP website. Could someone help me out please?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: why isn't my DVD burner working properly?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: why isn't my DVD burner working properly?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you try another drive?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2013 1:29 AM PDT

Did you try cleaning the lens?

There are folk that want to know why the drive doesn't work but it's too expensive to find out. We clean the lens, test and then swap in a drive.

-> THERE IS NO DRIVER FOR DVD drives. Please don't go looking for such.
Bob

Collapse -
cleaning the lens
by the-anti-john / May 8, 2013 1:46 AM PDT

Honestly, I didn't even know you could clean the lens in a DVD drive haha. I've done some research (google) and it seems there are cleaning kits you can buy. Are they relatively cheap/easy to find? I'll start looking and try it out. Also, I don't have any other available drives, so I haven't tried that. Thanks for the replies guys.

Collapse -
We have one but!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2013 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: cleaning the lens

But given the desktop replacement drive runs under 30 bucks and you could pay that much for the cleaner, many folk are left in a quandary. It's BASIC maintenance so with nothing to lose why not clean it the old fashioned way?
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: DVD burner
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 8, 2013 1:28 AM PDT

If treatment with a head cleaner doesn't help, try another drive. They tend to detoriate gradually.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
more info
by the-anti-john / May 8, 2013 1:41 AM PDT

here's a bit more information:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.130307-0422)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1014MB RAM
Page File: 920MB used, 1523MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

i also forgot to mention that my PC is about 9 years old hahaha

Collapse -
So how long since the drive lens was cleaned?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2013 1:43 AM PDT
In reply to: more info

If you got 9 years from a drive -> Huzzah!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.